Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What To Do With The $$$? 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    As the Occupy Wall Street movement loses steam, protesters are pitching new and creative ways to spend the $300,000 remaining in the kitty.

The group now raises just a few hundred bucks a day, down sharply from the tens of thousands that poured in daily at its height in November.

All told, it took in $706,855.91 in donations between Oct. 1 and Jan. 4. Much of what was already spent went to food, laundry, supplies and MetroCards.

Among the suggestions aired at recent OWS meetings on how to slice up the Occu-pie were:

1. Withdraw all the money in hundred-dollar bills, stuff the Benjamins in canvas bags and torch the cash in a bonfire on Wall Street. The incendiary proposal was dropped.
    2. Split the loot among occupiers. “A lot of people aren’t thinking it’s such a crazy idea anymore,” one said. The twice-proposed measure was also withdrawn.
    3. Buy a $150,000 piece of real estate for homeless protesters to live in. “At least 100 homeless people held down the center of our movement in Zuccotti Park by staying there and occupying the ground 24/7,” one homeless occupier wrote in a proposal, which also was withdrawn.
    4. Spend $9,500 to break into a foreclosed home on Vermont Street in Brooklyn, fix it up and move a family back in. An OWS general assembly approved this outlay last month and it was done.
    5. Invest $15,000 in a 56-acre farm near upstate Woodstock to provide food for the Occupation. “Move out of the parks and onto the farms!” one pitch read. This proposal has been tabled for now, but it but is expected to pass.
    6. Pour $14,500 into an “East Coast Solidarity Tour,” where 10 members would embark on a monthlong road trip in a $2,500 green bus to educate other Occupations. That measure also was withdrawn.
    7. Cut the kitchen budget. During a meeting on Thursday, some Occupiers curdled over the kitchen team’s claims it was spending $10,500 a week. They want to see receipts.
    8. March like an Egyptian. OWS actually approved a $29,000 trip to Egypt for 20 members to show solidarity right before Zuccotti was shut down in November. The trip was canceled after the police raid.
    9. Occupy the New Hampshire primary. The $1,900 trip is meant to disrupt “candidates events and other targets not associated with the voting process,” according to the proposal, which was approved.
    10. Set aside $100,000 to help jailed comrades. “This is an effort to ensure that we are able to continue to post bail for those arrested going into the spring,” the tabled proposal read.
    The kitchen budget I'm not surprised by considering the menu once put out that listed a very pricey meal at about $25 - $40 a meal. Very gourmet and select prime selections.

Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

I love how self serving everyone of those idea's are. Why not donate it to a charity that helps the unemployed or something? Put the money to actual use.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I love how self serving everyone of those idea's are. Why not donate it to a charity that helps the unemployed or something? Put the money to actual use.
    Absolutely. How about donating that to shelters for all the homeless kids? As of now, there are over a million homeless kids in the US; California alone has about 300,000 homeless kids.

And if the Occupiers don't know any, they can try "School on Wheels", a charity started by a retired teacher, that brings tutors to homeless children.

Of course, Occupy LA can always donate some money to help defray the costs of their two month squatting venture.

Maybe they could donate the money to help clean up the mess they left?

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Because $300,000 doesn't even start to clean it up.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Frankly, I'm surprised some one hasn't cleaned the accounts out
    and skipped to the Bahamas...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I would have put this one in my self. But $300k wouldn't even cover the trash haul-off. Plus they would insist on their compost piles.
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Who's to say the cash is still there.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Seriously! Me too.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Because $300,000 doesn't even start to clean it up.
    300k could buy a lot of grass seed. It might even be enough to help clean up one site. But by the time you add in the prevailing wage laws to have it planted...there goes the budget!

A better idea would be to pay the water bill so those idiots protesting could take a shower!

:D

300k could buy a lot of grass.
    I think we've found the answer....
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.