Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Any runners out there? 
    I took the plunge and entered the Rock and Roll Phoenix (half) marathon. I am coming off a knee problem and so far it feels good. The rest of my body now hates my guts. The guts aren't too happy neither.

I would appreciate any advice or web sites from some real runners. I'm an (old) intermediate runner so far but I'd like to run a series of half marathons with the goal of a full 26.2 this year. I run around 8:30s per mile but want to be around 8 flat per mile by mid summer.

Oh, I live in the Colorado mountains so I have to use the treadmill indoors for much of the winter.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Why run when the remote control was invented decades ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Why run when the remote control was invented decades ago?
    Eat another chip young lady and back away slowly.:p
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

This whole conversation makes me feel really tired. :(

I've slacked way off this past year for lack of time,
    but like to do 5 miles a day on my treadmill. One of
    my New Year's resolutions is to get back on that daily.

You mentioned coming off a knee injury, so how hard are you jumping into it?

I've been dealing with chronic leg issues myself, so I've had to do some alternatives to keep my cardio going strong. My trainer has had me doing a hard cross training regimen that's been doing a good job of it. If you are just starting out I would suggest doing something along those lines to help build your cardio abilities up without providing extra stress to the knee.

Work on the Stair Climber and Elliptical machines. Keep cranking the resistance up and pushing yourself harder and longer. My trainer told me that when he was deployed he did 90% of his half marathon training on cross training machines like those.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I run a 12 mile every Saturday and do speed work on the treadmill during the week. I do some cross training on stair climber and elliptical as well as bike ride. The last bike ride was steady uphill for 10 miles. It should have been 13 miles but the rear hub exploded and I had to push it the last three miles.

Doc says I'm not likely to further damage the knee by running and if I can stand the pain, go for it.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

I did a couple of 5K's but the running was just too hard on my knees so I quit. Congrats on signing up for the race! If you are running 12 miles on the weekends, I think you will be OK in the race.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I did a couple of 5K's but the running was just too hard on my knees so I quit. Congrats on signing up for the race! If you are running 12 miles on the weekends, I think you will be OK in the race.
    Oh, I'll cover the miles alright. I want to improve. Part of my problem is my 53 year old body is struggling with my 19 year old brain and I want to run the speeds I used to run. This year I plan to get from the 8:30's to the 8 minutes flat miles. The Captain wants more power but Scotty is bitching all the time.:o
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

Another 12 miler yesterday and I finally found some reserve speed in the last three or four miles. This despite the cold from hell.:)
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand