Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    This anti-professional academic sentiment is anything but ignorant. I mean, true ignorance is equating the highly educated, the academics, and the professionals into a single group, and applying an Us. Vs. Them Vs. You spin on the entire subject.
    I don't agree with an us vs them mentality towards the educated, the academics, or the professionals.

I think they are people just like anyone else, with all the same flaws. I think some of them have more general knowledge and some know only about their specific field of study. I don't think they should be considered infallable about a topic because they have some letters next to their name with regard to that topic, but we should not dismiss them entirely either, because they are very educated.

I just think there's a very general sentiment against educated people or academia which is foolish. I don't think they should be treated like they are Gods, but lumping them all into a group is just as ignorant.

When you think about it, liberal academics
    People in academia have a wide range of political opinions, this "liberal academics" is what I was talking about in my previous paragraph.

don't see any particular problem with the fact that Einstein spent his entire life trying to understand E=MC^2, while they profess to have a command economy figured to a 'T' in 20 minutes.
    I may be wrong but I can't think of any economist who believes that. I know someone fresh out of undergrad, studied in Europe with a degree in economics, who will rant for an hour about how this is simply not true.

Regardless of the fact that this 'expert control' approach to corralling the most complicated man-made entity in existence is the equivalent of physicists setting an arbitrary, regulated, valence for each atom by fiat. They must be right, because the outcome is created by academics, and thus completely controllable, right? When you take the contents of your previous posts into account you, here and now, acknowledge that academics can be very smart in some areas, while remaining completely ignorant in other areas, yet in very, very many of your previous posts on this board, you advocate putting the human economy into the hands of these same people.
    I've never advocated that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I don't agree with an us vs them mentality towards the educated, the academics, or the professionals.

I think they are people just like anyone else, with all the same flaws. I think some of them have more general knowledge and some know only about their specific field of study. I don't think they should be considered infallable about a topic because they have some letters next to their name with regard to that topic, but we should not dismiss them entirely either, because they are very educated.

I just think there's a very general sentiment against educated people or academia which is foolish. I don't think they should be treated like they are Gods, but lumping them all into a group is just as ignorant.

People in academia have a wide range of political opinions, this "liberal academics" is what I was talking about in my previous paragraph.

I may be wrong but I can't think of any economist who believes that. I know someone fresh out of undergrad, studied in Europe with a degree in economics, who will rant for an hour about how this is simply not true.

I've never advocated that.
    Dam commies!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

30 of 33.

Upon reflection, I really should have guessed differently one one of them that I got wrong, the other two I admittedly had no idea about.