Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The Answer That Would Have Won the Nomination 
    January 10, 2012
    By Peter Heck

To say the moment was ripe for any earnest conservative who wanted to capture the Republican nomination for president would be an understatement. As Diane Sawyer sniffled out a question that makes even the most fanatical bleeding heart look cold, she dangled a low-hanging fruit for any of the candidates to pluck with ease. To my great disappointment, none of them did.

After spending nearly a quarter of an hour at the recent Republican presidential debate discussing a hypothetical scenario where a state might want to ban contraception, Sawyer put on her trademark pained countenance and, continuing the transparently obvious moderator pledge to direct all issues away from Barack Obama, challenged, "If I could come back to the living room question...what you would say sitting down in your living room to a gay couple who say...we want gay people to form loving, committed, long-term relationships? In human terms, what would you say to them?"

Anticipating the trap being laid for them, the Republican candidates gave carefully articulated responses that struck a balance between personal freedom and traditional morality.

But none of the candidates answered the question as they should have. I don't think I was alone in hoping that one of them would lean into the microphone and, after starting off by incredulously asking, "Are you kidding me?," unleash the following:

Diane, we are living in a country with 9% unemployment, and let's cut the bull -- everyone knows that number doesn't include the enormous number of people who every week throw up their hands and leave the job market. If those were added, we've got closer to 1 in 5 Americans desperately looking for good, steady work.

We've got a record number of American families subsisting on food stamps. We've wasted a trillion taxpayer dollars on a government stimulus that brought no substantive job growth, but added more crushing debt to the backs of our children.

We have small businesses being threatened by the specter of an ill-advised health care entitlement that was crammed down Americans' throats despite their vehement objection. And to add to their frustration, all the folks who were clamoring and lobbying for the legislation are mysteriously all receiving waivers exempting them from its dire consequences.

For the first time in our history we have a majority of American parents who believe that their children will have things worse than they did.

We have a housing market that's depressed, an energy crisis brewing, and a border that is unprotected to the point where American families living near it are being terrorized by invading drug lords.

We have gas prices that are two times what they were when this president took office, and those increased fuel prices are driving up the cost of living, placing an unprecedented strain upon the American family's budget.

We have an administration that is engaged in outright corruption -- from gun-running schemes that result in the deaths of border officers to crony capitalism that sees taxpayer dollars flushed down green energy toilets like Solyndra.

Internationally, we have upwards of nine countries now under the thumb of the Muslim Brotherhood. We have a rapidly deteriorating situation in Iraq due to our politically motivated rushed withdrawal. Next door to that, the caliphate-obsessed, apocalyptic madmen running Iran are pursuing nuclear weapons with the promise to use them indiscriminately in their efforts to bring glory to Allah. They are at this very moment positioned to shut down the Strait of Hormuz and thus hijack 40% of the world's oil -- bringing on an industrial crisis around the world.

We face an increasingly hostile Chinese regime that is stealing our patents and intellectual property, hacking our computers, deploying advanced weapons systems and buying our debt so as to hold a position of economic blackmail over us.

Meanwhile, our allies in Israel have never seen us as weaker or less reliable, and our allies in Europe are mired in an economic crisis from which they may not be able to avert total collapse.

And at precisely such a dangerous moment in world affairs, our president -- who has been conducting social sexual experiments with our armed forces for 3 years -- decides it is the best time to dramatically slash our defense budget and usher in a vast reduction in the size and strength of the United States military.

With all that on the table, Diane, you take valuable time in this debate to ask me what I'd say to a gay couple in my living room?

What a great question. Let me make sure I state my position on this critical issue unequivocally so that there can be no mistake, because I can't imagine any American finding anything else more significant than this: we'd first pop in a copy of the Bette Midler classic Beaches, then we'd take time to independently journal about our reaction to its message. Then, after a good cry, we'd grab the acoustic guitar and sing a round of "We are the World" before calling it an evening.
    That's the answer that question deserved. And it's one I think would have brought with it the White House in 2012

Peter is a public high school government teacher and radio talk show host in central Indiana. E-mail peter@peterheck.com, visit www.peterheck.com, or like him on Facebook.

Page Printed from: http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...omination.html at January 10, 2012 - 02:23:19 PM CST

__________________________________________________ __________
    I'd have added that I'd have asked the couple if they also thought that Diane Sawyer is dimmer than a 10-watt bulb in a brown out.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Nice answer, but I would want a bigger point addressed - the gay community is estimated anywhere between 2 to 8 percent of the U.S. population. Sure there interestes are important to them, but to waste 30 to 40 percent of these debates discussing hypothetical gay biased questions... REALLY??

Quote Originally Posted by JoeKwonDo View Post
    Nice answer, but I would want a bigger point addressed - the gay community is estimated anywhere between 2 to 8 percent of the U.S. population. Sure there interestes are important to them, but to waste 30 to 40 percent of these debates discussing hypothetical gay biased questions... REALLY??
    Among media types, gays constitute far more than 2% of their acquaintances, therefore they are far more important. Also, as I pointed out above, Diane Sawyer, who publicly announced that OWS had spread to over a thousand countries (apparently including 800 or so that don't exist), is dumber than a bag of hammers. In fact, it's a tossup whether she or Barbara Walters is the dumbest talking head on the networks. I'm of the opinion that the only proper response to these debate moderators is merciless ridicule.

--Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    That would have been a good answer. Economics matters during this election cycle. We don't have the luxury to worry about the "social" issues right now.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

So the answer is bloggity blog talking points for the true believers.

Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That would have been a good answer. Economics matters during this election cycle. We don't have the luxury to worry about the "social" issues right now.
    Especially ones that only affect 4% of the population. The science has always pegged the gay community at about 4%. This does not count true bisexuals (not just the experimenters) or the transgendered, but even when it does, you get the 8% figure.

The other 92% of us would like a strong economy and our due process under the Bill of Rights which Obama signed away over Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    So the answer is bloggity blog talking points for the true believers.

Sweet.
    As opposed to snarkity snark for the gay activists?

Do you really consider the gay marriage issue more important than the national debt exceeding GDP for the first time since WWII, Iran developing nukes, the US retreating from Iraq and Afghanistan after all-but winning in both places, the elimination of 20% of our ground forces in order to finance entitlements, the rise of a global caliphate, the lawlessness of the current administration and its general attitude that America is not only in decline, but that this decline isn't necessarily a bad thing?

Seriously?

Are you that provincial and narrow in your outlook?
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    As opposed to snarkity snark for the gay activists?
    Nope. Pretty much the same. And neither will get anyone elected.

Do you really consider the gay marriage issue more important than the national debt exceeding GDP for the first time since WWII,
    Nope.

Iran developing nukes,
    Nope.

the US retreating from Iraq and Afghanistan after all-but winning in both places,
    Er .... so soon in to fantasy land?

the elimination of 20% of our ground forces in order to finance entitlements,
    Here we go!!!

the rise of a global caliphate,
    Don't forget the Mars teleportation device.

the lawlessness of the current administration and its general attitude that America is not only in decline, but that this decline isn't necessarily a bad thing?
    Ah, what the hell.

No! I refuse to welcome our new reptilian overlords who hide behind the professorial facade of the Barack Hussein Obama (commander of the Perseid VII invasion and expeditionary force) skin puppet. We must not quail in the face of this cold blooded attempt to colonize this fair planet and remake its purple mountains majesty into the vast, commie wasteland full of prostitution, homosexuals, and those fucking tags on everything threatening jail time.

Seriously?
    Sure. Why not?

that provincial and narrow in your outlook?
    I can think of a lot of weird stuff so no, I am not narrow in my outlook. You neither, apparently.

Power CUer
    The "provincial, narrow" outlook on gay marriage works both ways: it also applies to the "values voters" who still seem to think they are somehow doing the Lord's work with their vote.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Nope. Pretty much the same. And neither will get anyone elected.
    Okay, what issues do you consider important?

Er .... so soon in to fantasy land?
    Fantasy land? Let's see... We've withdrawn from Iraq without leaving any cadre behind, so the stabilization that we've achieved has already begun to unravel. We're slated to do the same thing in Afghanistan. What's the fantasy? Oh, right, any facts that you disagree with are a "fantasy".

Here we go!!!
    Here we go indeed..
    The Pentagon's fiscal year 2013 budget request slashes Marine Corps and Army end strength in conjunction with a new military strategy that urges cutting back on stability operations, but even deeper cuts to both ground services are expected in the coming years, according to sources familiar with the plans.

The FY-13 budget request prepared in conjunction with the Obama administration's new military strategy would shrink the Marine Corps to 182,000, permitting the service to spread the reduction over four years, in part by relying on funds from the overseas contingency account, one service official said, noting the plan not only pares back force structure but also reduces the number of Marines in some units. The niche Marine Corps capability known as the Chemical Biological Incident Response Force would remain, as would the practice of having Marines guard U.S. embassies around the globe, the official said.

Meanwhile, the FY-13 budget request aims to cut Army end strength from a force of 570,000 today to roughly 480,000 to 490,000 within the five-year budget plan, said current and former military officials.
    The cuts to the Army are roughly 17%, while the cuts to the Marine Corps are even deeper, but those cuts don't take the sequestration reductions from the Super Committee into account. In fact, the cuts go well beyond 20%. Meanwhile, entitlements continue to rise. So, what part of that is a fantasy, Annoyo?

Don't forget the Mars teleportation device.
    Not while you've got your head way up Uranus.

Islamist parties have taken control of Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, and Yemen, with unrest spreading throughout the Middle East. Iraq is cozying up to Iran and Afghanistan is negotiating with the Taliban for a power sharing arrangement. Islamic totalitarianism isn't a joke, snark boy.

Ah, what the hell.

No! I refuse to welcome our new reptilian overlords who hide behind the professorial facade of the Barack Hussein Obama (commander of the Perseid VII invasion and expeditionary force) skin puppet. We must not quail in the face of this cold blooded attempt to colonize this fair planet and remake its purple mountains majesty into the vast, commie wasteland full of prostitution, homosexuals, and those fucking tags on everything threatening jail time.

Sure. Why not?

I can think of a lot of weird stuff so no, I am not narrow in my outlook. You neither, apparently.
    Okay, you've lapsed into complete idiocy. Seriously.
    --Odysseus