Thread: The hcg diet?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Some nights I take in 500 calories while sleep walking!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    You'll probably lose more than weight on that diet. Count on gall bladder surgery. Years ago I tried a supposedly physician based plan, Optifast, consisting entirely of liquids. I believe it was about 800 calories a day. When I started feeling really sick a few months into the program, the nurse said without missing a beat that I'd best get my gall bladder checked. I did. I ended up with emergency surgery and had the gall bladder removed the old fashioned surgical way. It seems that all the hospitals did have the easier way to do it then.

No fad diets for me---have seen the consequences.
    Gall stones suck, I had my gall bladder removed in 1992, with a laser.

I've tried two fad diets in my life-I did the Cambridge Diet in the 80s, and all it did for me was give me the runs. It gave my mom heart palpitations, so we both stopped. That was a liquid diet for two daily meals, and one normal meal a day. It was like Slim Fast, only you bought the powdered food from a distributor, like you would (Sc)Amway products.

I tried macrobiotics in the early 90s, when my gall stones started causing me pain. It worked on the gall stones, but it made me feel like I was going crazy. I stuck with it, only adding cheese for protein, until it stopped working on the gall stones. Once I had the surgery, I went back to my bad eating habits.

I am never dieting again, but a lot of my coworkers who don't want to exercise have started Weight Watchers, which I did successfully as a teenager. One of them has lost about 15lbs in the past 6 weeks. It's probably the healthiest diet out there, because you get enough food to not feel hungry.

The big Cheese
    weight watchers is calorie counting.

thats it

sorry to burst anyones bubble
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Ran into my friend today and she asked if I ordered the hcg...I told her I didn't and won't...I can't possibly survive on 500 calories a day..and messing with hormones doesn't seem right to me. She continues to lose weight....but I wonder if she will keep it off....I doubt it...once she stops the diet and starts eating normally again, she will not only gain her lost weight back..but probably will exceed her starting weight.

I've seen people that had gastric bypass surgeries as well as lap band surgery gain back most of their weight.

There is no easy fix.
    Absolutely they will. I know 3 people personally who have done HCG and all of them gained back weight when they went off it. I don't want to say I was happy about this but their constant updates like, "I lost 8 pounds this week," was getting really obnoxious. Anyone who thinks losing that amount of weight in a week is healthy has lost their mind. I would lose that much weight a week too if I starved myself.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

I'm suspicious of any diet that give a one-size-fits-all calorie requirement, since caloric requirements vary significantly between individuals, and 500 calories per day is a dangerously low amount of fuel for your body, unless you're in a coma.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'm suspicious of any diet that give a one-size-fits-all calorie requirement, since caloric requirements vary significantly between individuals, and 500 calories per day is a dangerously low amount of fuel for your body, unless you're in a coma.
    even for a coma 500 is too low.

BMR of 500 is about 300 calories less than what a 1 year old child burns just resting....
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Very Low Calorie diets are considered medical diets. There is a clinic at Johns Hopkins which has done this for years, but the "food" you eat on that diet is a fortified shake or "meal bars" so you hopefully aren't malnourished. It's also a ketotic diet using Jason Pharmaceuticals shakes. Typical weight loss can be in the range of 10 pounds per week for the serious subject. The problem of course, is the same for every denial based diet: transitioning to an effective lifestyle.

Metabolisms are also mysterious things. I track everything I eat, and all my exercise, and on paper I ought to be wasting away to nothing. In reality, I continue to lose weight at an acceptable pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I track everything I eat, and all my exercise, and on paper I ought to be wasting away to nothing. In reality, I continue to lose weight at an acceptable pace.
    You would lose more if instead of writing it all down you just ate the paper.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You would lose more if instead of writing it all down you just ate the paper.
    Depends on the paper. Two-ply cold-pressed Bristol board is fairly lean, but the processing eliminates a lot of the dietary fiber that you need. OTOH, tracing vellum has plenty of roughage, but is very rich. I recommend a heavy pulp newsprint, with enough four-color printing to provide the full range of nutrients, but do not recycle.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Ran into my friend today and she asked if I ordered the hcg...I told her I didn't and won't...I can't possibly survive on 500 calories a day..and messing with hormones doesn't seem right to me. She continues to lose weight....but I wonder if she will keep it off....I doubt it...once she stops the diet and starts eating normally again, she will not only gain her lost weight back..but probably will exceed her starting weight.

I've seen people that had gastric bypass surgeries as well as lap band surgery gain back most of their weight.

There is no easy fix.
    The two people that I know that have had Gastric bypass surgery lost massive weight and have kept it off. 1 male & 1 Female and both had it done yrs ago. Course with any weight loss regime certain eating habits need to change forever or of course the weight comes back.

I've been lucky up until now been able to eat anything I wanted and maintained a healthy weight now I'm Borderline diabetic and coming out of chemo has messed my metabolism up. Got
    Metabolic neuropathy in the feet and lower legs bad. Some days better than others some days got purple toes and the pain is excruciating.

Last edited by Zeus; 02-25-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.