Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Haley Barbour pardons nearly 200, including killers, in final days as Mississippi gov 
    JACKSON, Miss. — In his final days as Mississippi governor, Republican Haley Barbour gave pardons or early release to nearly 200 people, including more than two dozen whose crimes were listed as murder, manslaughter or homicide.

State records released Tuesday show some of the convicted killers were pardoned, while others were given medical or conditional releases. Barbour had released five other convicted killers in 2008. One of them had been granted a conditional release and was pardoned this time.

inShare..Relatives of crime victims had voiced outrage Monday after it was revealed that Barbour had pardoned four convicted murderers. Those men had worked at the Governor’s Mansion as part of a prison trusty program.

snip

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...m_national_pop

I thought Republicans believed in being tough on crime. I can't help but think somebody blackmailed him or something.

On another note, the photo message said he wants to run for President? Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I thought Republicans believed in being tough on crime. I can't help but think somebody blackmailed him or something.
    I think he just flipped his lid.

On another note, the photo message said he wants to run for President? Crap.
    Wanted. Past tense. Or more specifically, considered getting into the race. He announced that he wasn't running back in about March of last year, I believe.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

I thought Republicans believed in being tough on crime.
    We do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    I can't help but think somebody blackmailed him or something.
    If you think he was blackmailed then why the prefatory statement implying Republicans are soft on crime?
    Be Not Afraid.

Lanie ought to read a little about exactly who got pardoned. Barbour won't discuss it.

Some of the pardoned have already died, many are out of prison, some have already served long sentences. But it makes better headlines to say, "SOME HAVE EVEN BEEN CONVICTED OF MURDER!"

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Lanie ought to read a little about exactly who got pardoned. Barbour won't discuss it.

Some of the pardoned have already died, many are out of prison, some have already served long sentences. But it makes better headlines to say, "SOME HAVE EVEN BEEN CONVICTED OF MURDER!"
    I've looked at several articles regarding this over the last couple of days and I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, either in the local reports or the national media. Do you have a link for this?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I've looked at several articles regarding this over the last couple of days and I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, either in the local reports or the national media. Do you have a link for this?
    You have to peruse the names yourself; the press just figures you're going to read the headlines and fall in step. Here's one:
    1) Kirby Tate got 60 years in 2003 for selling marijuana to an undercover wire-wearer as a habitual offender, two prior offenses, both related to sale of marijuana less than an ounce. He was holding about 36 lbs. Here's a link to the proceedings: http://courts.ms.gov/Images/Opinions/CO24636.pdf

2) Booker T Barnes....who died in 2009

Here's another interesting case:
    3) WHEREAS, Harry Russ Bostick was placed in the Drug Court Program beginning on or about March 4, 2011. His estimated release date from the Drug Court Program, assuming no sanctions, is March 4, 2013….
    BUT
    Trooper Ray Hall of the Mississippi Highway Patrol says Charity Smith, 18, of Okolona, died as a result of her injuries.

Smith was driving a Buick LeSabre and apparently tried to pull from a private drive onto Highway 278 when she pulled into the path of a 2010 Ford F-150, driven by Harry Bostick, 55, of Oxford. …

It was Bosticks third DUI, but look at the facts.....Someone pulled out in front of him.

And on it goes, but you'll have to do your own random search of the names, which are available many places. And when you do search you'll probably find the same information I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    There were several convicted murders pardoned. The DA is livid and is giving scathing interviews on this being a slap in the face to his office, the victims and law enforcement. I saw one interview of a woman who's sister was murdered while holding her baby who was also murdered. The guy that did it was pardoned and now the family is worried he will try to finish the job and kill the rest of the family.

Just breaking, a Miss judge has just blocked 21 of the releases that are the most violent criminals.

Sounds like Barbour has either been blackmailed or demon possessed.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...ernor-barbour/

Each of the five inmates released this past weekend had worked as a trusty at the Governor's Mansion. They are David Gatlin, convicted of killing his estranged wife in 1993; Joseph Ozment, convicted in 1994 of killing a man during a robbery; Anthony McCray, convicted in 2001 of killing his wife; Charles Hooker, sentenced to life in 1992 for murder; and Nathan Kern, sentenced to life in 1982 for burglary after at least two prior convictions.
    And the above are already back on the street with full pardons!
    Last edited by Kay; 01-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.

The DA is Jim Hood. He and Barbour have been at odds - and political enemies - since the beginning of time. I imagine he would do whatever he could to undermine Barbour.

Hood is an anomaly. The The House and The Senate have gone to the Republicans for the first time since 1875. Hood remains the lone powerful Democrat in a solidly Republican state. You'll do better if you do your own research.

I think some of this is way overblown. Look at your own quote:
    Nathan Kern, sentenced to life in 1982 for burglary after at least two prior convictions.
    30 years for burglary? And he's been a trusty. Why not release him; the system won't.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 01-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.

What about the other 4 convicted murderers?