Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Court: Oklahoma ban on Islamic law unconstitutional 
    OKLAHOMA CITY – An amendment that would ban Oklahoma courts from considering international or Islamic law discriminates against religions and a Muslim community leader has the right to challenge its constitutionality, a federal appeals court said Tuesday.

The court in Denver upheld U.S. District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange's order blocking implementation of the amendment shortly after it was approved by 70 percent of Oklahoma voters in November 2010.

Muneer Awad, the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Oklahoma, sued to block the law from taking effect, arguing that the Save Our State Amendment violated his First Amendment rights.

The amendment read, in part: "The courts shall not look to the legal precepts of other nations or cultures. Specifically, the courts shall not consider international law or Sharia law."

Backers argued that the amendment intended to ban all religious laws, that Islamic law was merely named as an example and that it wasn't meant as a specific attack on Muslims. The court disagreed.

"That argument conflicts with the amendment's plain language, which mentions Sharia law in two places," the appeals court opinion said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...onstitutional/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The irony is thick in this one.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer
    It might have worked if they had specified ANY religious law (a Jewish "get", for example, or Catholic Canon law). Narrowing it down to one religion was the issue.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It might have worked if they had specified ANY religious law (a Jewish "get", for example, or Catholic Canon law). Narrowing it down to one religion was the issue.
    Correct. I suspect that had ANY other religion been used other than the moon god, it would have sailed through.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Correct. I suspect that had ANY other religion been used other than the moon god, it would have sailed through.
    That's not what Linda said- the law targeted a specific religion and that was the problem. So they need to re-write the law so that it will generically prohibit considering religious law. That, of course, will not sit well with the folks who have bought into the BS that US law is founded on the Bible. If you ban the consideration of all folk or tribal law you, especially in Oklahoma, you are going to fun afoul of the reservation Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That's not what Linda said- the law targeted a specific religion and that was the problem. So they need to re-write the law so that it will generically prohibit considering religious law. That, of course, will not sit well with the folks who have bought into the BS that US law is founded on the Bible. If you ban the consideration of all folk or tribal law you, especially in Oklahoma, you are going to fun afoul of the reservation Indians.
    I KNOW what Linda said. That MIGHT explain the "correct" at the beginning of my response. The rest of my statement was preceded with; "I suspect."
    ;)
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I just find it funny that the one and only religion that seems to be protected the way it's supposed to be under the Constitution these days is the one that wants to kill and/or convert us.

Fabulous Poster
    I KNOW what Linda said. That MIGHT explain the "correct" at the beginning of my response. The rest of my statement was preceded with; "I suspect."
    ;)
    Oh, well in that case, don't let me disturb your paranoia. I keep forgetting that discussing the reality is always the opportunity to wax victimlike about a perceived future slight.

Power CUer
    No - it wouild have to be written to apply to ALL religions. Oklahoma could have done that, and did not.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I just find it funny that the one and only religion that seems to be protected the way it's supposed to be under the Constitution these days is the one that wants to kill and/or convert us.
    Pass a law which says that the courts can't consider Christian scripture or folk law and see how it flies. It's not that "the one and only religion" gets this ruling, it's that "the one and only religion" (it's so funny you would call it that) is the one targeted in the law.