Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama Seeks New Powers From Congress 
    President Obama will reveal a new proposal to consolidate federal agencies at a White House event later this morning, an official tells Fox News. The problem is that the authority he seeks to carry out the plan will have to come from a Congress he's had bitter battles with over the past year.

In his 2011 State of the Union address, the president complained of government overlap and red tape that clogs the federal government, promising to tackle the problem. He injected a bit of humor into his speech to illustrate the point, "The Interior Department is in charge of salmon while they're in fresh water, but the Commerce Department handles them when they're in saltwater," he said to laughter. "I hear it gets even more complicated once they're smoked."

By late that year, however, officials shied away from forecasting when the president would fulfill his promise.

Early Friday morning, the White House announced Mr. Obama will seek authority from Congress, not granted since the days of Ronald Reagan, to reorganize and consolidate portions of the federal government. His first proposal would be to reduce redundancy in the area of trade and commerce.

Should Congress grant the president this streamlining authority, each proposal he made would then receive an up-or-down vote from Congress within 90 days.

However, the president's track record with Congress isn't exactly favorable, following public disputes over issues like the nation's debt ceiling and extending payroll tax cuts. In an increasingly fierce election season, the president's move could be aimed at putting Congress on the defense.

The administration has for months highlighted a "We Can't Wait" campaign, intended to showcase issues that the White House says Congress isn't acting on. The president, therefore, has been unilaterally taking action; igniting controversy over whether he is overstepping his Constitutional authority.
    http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/20...owers-congress

At face value, I see nothing wrong with this. Consolidate away.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    At face value, I see nothing wrong with this. Consolidate away.
    This is obama. You could be back in the Army Air Corps.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    This is obama. You could be back in the Army Air Corps.
    Or suddenly find agencies that shouldn't be under the Executive Branch there under the purview of one of Obama's Czars.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

"The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery..." ~Frank Zappa

“Of all tyrannies a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.” -- C. S. Lewis

Absolutely not, this man is trying to gain power like Chavez did, he is already behaving like a dictator.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Absolutely not, this man is trying to gain power like Chavez did, he is already behaving like a dictator.

Damn straight.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I doubt if any move to actually shift a function from one branch to another would pass in Congress on the up or down vote, but at that same time I also don't see Congress treating this whole proposal as any kind of a priority issue with the next Presidential election just ten months away.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I doubt if any move to actually shift a function from one branch to another would pass in Congress on the up or down vote, but at that same time I also don't see Congress treating this whole proposal as any kind of a priority issue with the next Presidential election just ten months away.
    Given the fact he's already shown his willingness to thumb his nose at Congress...I doubt he'd go to seek their up or down approval before doing whatever it is he has planned by asking for this new power.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Given the fact he's already shown his willingness to thumb his nose at Congress...I doubt he'd go to seek their up or down approval before doing whatever it is he has planned by asking for this new power.
    I'm beginning to think we have only two branches of government, the executive and his Czars and an impotent court system that he controls.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

With any other president, this would not be a problem, but Obama's administration has demonstrated such contempt for the law in so many areas that I'm inclined not to give him any more power, since he's abused the powers that he already has, not to mention quite a few that he doesn't.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!