Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Meanwhile...on AFN we are being subjected to Homeland.

The premise of the show being that a U.S. Marine was turned by al-Qaeda while he was a POW.

In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Meanwhile...on AFN we are being subjected to Homeland.

The premise of the show being that a U.S. Marine was turned by al-Qaeda while he was a POW.

Is it not something that can be imagined? A number of people claim to have come to a "revelation" about the US and its role in world affairs, especially if they have been indoctrinated with "the truth" or something which sounds plausible.

Some of the crap I read on the internet, and they can't all be crazy or mentally damaged, shows that a certain personality type is vulnerable to Islam in a way that you or I might not be able to imagine. Just as neither of us could imagine buying into the total bullshit that is Mormonism, we can't imagine converting to Islam. But just as there are seemingly rational and otherwise intelligent people who convert to Mormonism, there appear to be some who buy into Islam. These beliefs systems make big promises, but the biggest of all is probably the same one employed by evangelical churches: a sense of belonging you simply don't get by belonging to the mainstream.

Personally, I should think that an identity as a marine would be more than sufficient to make one feel special, focussed, and grounded... but it's possible for it to go another way is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Is it not something that can be imagined? A number of people claim to have come to a "revelation" about the US and its role in world affairs, especially if they have been indoctrinated with "the truth" or something which sounds plausible.

Some of the crap I read on the internet, and they can't all be crazy or mentally damaged, shows that a certain personality type is vulnerable to Islam in a way that you or I might not be able to imagine. Just as neither of us could imagine buying into the total bullshit that is Mormonism, we can't imagine converting to Islam. But just as there are seemingly rational and otherwise intelligent people who convert to Mormonism, there appear to be some who buy into Islam. These beliefs systems make big promises, but the biggest of all is probably the same one employed by evangelical churches: a sense of belonging you simply don't get by belonging to the mainstream.

Personally, I should think that an identity as a marine would be more than sufficient to make one feel special, focussed, and grounded... but it's possible for it to go another way is it not?
    The question isn't whether it's plausible, it's whether it's (a) likely (not very, since almost every US captive taken by the Taliban or al Qaeda has ended up tortured, murdered and mutilated, not indoctrinated), and (b) something that supports morale. Imagine, for a moment, that you are a Marine, far from home, looking forward to your return, and AFN is subjecting you to a series in which someone in your situation is manipulated and turned into a weapon against everything that you believe in. If some cable network wants to run something like that on their own dime, that's their business, but Armed Forces Network is supposed to support morale in theater, not undermine it with cheesy leftist agitprop.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    If some cable network wants to run something like that on their own dime, that's their business, but Armed Forces Network is supposed to support morale in theater, not undermine it with cheesy leftist agitprop.
    Maybe the point is to generate discussion and perhaps suspicion?

Maybe the point is to generate discussion and perhaps suspicion?
    Suspicion among Marines? Yeah, that will really help the war effort.

The entire premise is BS. As I pointed out before, our enemies aren't interested in turning prisoners into weapons, they're interested in torturing them, murdering them and then leaving their mutilated corpses out where we can find them. Name one US military prisoner taken by al Qaeda or the Taliban that survived the experience.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Is it not something that can be imagined?
    No it's not. al-Qaeda and the Taliban don't leave survivors to test this theory...they just leave dead mutilated bodies.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Suspicion among Marines? Yeah, that will really help the war effort.

The entire premise is BS. As I pointed out before, our enemies aren't interested in turning prisoners into weapons, they're interested in torturing them, murdering them and then leaving their mutilated corpses out where we can find them. Name one US military prisoner taken by al Qaeda or the Taliban that survived the experience.

The only ones they want to turn are the ones like Nidal and other soldiers with Muslim heritage that can then be used to kill more soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib9rofXQl6w

Three Things About Islam ...
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

The only ones they want to turn are the ones like Nidal and other soldiers with Muslim heritage that can then be used to kill more soldiers.
    Exactly. US forces in Muslim countries are to be killed horribly in order to get us to leave. Muslims in the US are to be turned in order to take the jihad to us. Now, if a Muslim Soldier were to approach the Taliban in theater, they'd send him back to his base with instructions to help them facilitate an attack, but they wouldn't take him prisoner for any length of time because it would reduce his access when he returned. These guys are deluded and crazy, but they aren't stupid.
    --Odysseus

Fabulous Poster
    No it's not. al-Qaeda and the Taliban don't leave survivors to test this theory...they just leave dead mutilated bodies.
    I don't pretend to be able to match their strategies, as Ody said, they aren't stupid to which I would add that they are remarkably clandestine and bold simultaneously. It's like a multi-headed monster that keeps growing new heads. While the Taliban (under whatever name they choose) are unrelenting in their own theater, we have the Saudi government working its way into poor Mexican and South American communities with Islam in one hand and assistance in the other. Since the Mormons and the Baptists are doing the same thing, it's rather hard to call the Saudis on it even though the Mormons and Baptists are a bunch of selfless nuns compared to the Muslim missions.

At some point is it not going to have to be clear that it is Islam itself which is the cause and the reason why it cannot be allowed to live?