1. #1 Whitehouse Will Not Support SOPA Or PIPA 
    Saturday marked a major victory for opponents of proposed anti-piracy legislation Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act (PIPA), which would target foreign-based websites violating U.S. copyrights.

House of Representatives bill SOPA and its Senate counterpart PIPA are designed to punish websites that make available, for example, free movies and music without the permission of the U.S. rights holders. Opponents of the bills, however, worry that the proposed laws would grant the Department of Justice too much regulatory power. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt has called the measures "draconian." Other Internet giants who oppose the bill include Facebook, eBay, Mozilla, Twitter, and Huffington Post parent company AOL.

The White House on Saturday officially responded to two online petitions, "Stop the E-PARASITE Act" and "Veto the SOPA bill and any other future bills that threaten to diminish the free flow of information," urging the President to reject SOPA and PIPA.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1206347.html

This is great news!

Why, I'm going to do an Irish Jig as a thank you to Obama for this!

Sometimes the government does do good things for the people, even in today's corporate controlled climate.

So let's all give the Prez a grand BOO-RAH for stopping those abominable acts.

He didn't do it for the little guy, he had a choice of going with what Silicon Valley wanted, or what Hollywood wanted. He decided, likely correctly, that Hollywood would still support him if he farted in their faces on this one.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    One good thing he's done...though it pissed off Rupert Murdoch. Frankly in this instance the Repubs are stupid. It would hamstring the internet. Most of those guys in Washington don't understand technology development and how it works very well.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    One good thing he's done...though it pissed off Rupert Murdoch.

Frankly in this instance the Repubs are stupid. It would hamstring the internet. Most of those guys in Washington don't understand technology development and how it works very well.
    I'm not sure Fox News was ever a real friend to the Obama administration.

Regardless of being Republican fronted, I'm still shocked at the Congressmen from both aisles who've been advocated this in the press with zeal. It's like they literally are basing their thoughts solely off of what the lobbyist are telling them, it's horrendous.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    I'm not sure Fox News was ever a real friend to the Obama administration.

Regardless of being Republican fronted, I'm still shocked at the Congressmen from both aisles who've been advocated this in the press with zeal. It's like they literally are basing their thoughts solely off of what the lobbyist are telling them, it's horrendous.
    A good majority of the Congressional idiots don't even have debit cards, let alone know how they work. Do you honestly think that many of them know how the rest of technology works? how it develops?

All they see is an IP is being "stolen" and wrote POS bills that would somehow "combat" it by blanketing everything with these draconian laws.

of course the MPAA and RIAA both have their greedy hands in this. fuck them both, neither have helped their industries move into the 21st Century and are still stuck on a business model developed in the 20's-40's
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Actually the bill is delayed,not dead.

Contact your congress people and tell them to support the OPEN act.

http://keepthewebopen.com/

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by hai View Post
    Actually the bill is delayed,not dead.

Contact your congress people and tell them to support the OPEN act.

http://keepthewebopen.com/

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
    Cockroaches always re-group, re-tool and return for another attempt. The only reason they backed off this time is because of the widespread outrage.

Obama also said he wouldn't sign NDAA, but did sign it on New Years' Eve when no one was looking, so don't believe it when they use these tricks and head-fakes in order to get everyone to stand down. It's and old tactic that they've used many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    Cockroaches always re-group, re-tool and return for another attempt. The only reason they backed off this time is because of the widespread outrage.

Obama also said he wouldn't sign NDAA, but did sign it on New Years' Eve when no one was looking, so don't believe it when they use these tricks and head-fakes in order to get everyone to stand down. It's and old tactic that they've used many times before.
    Of course though,it seems most people don't get it at all about the bill.

If it passes,i could be penalized for example if i did a cover of a song from a group and uploaded it to youtube,or facebook. Makes me ashamed to be American,when other people won't stand up for what's right and fight this bill instead of following it.

So you could get five years for downloading a Michael Jackson song, one more year then the doctor got that killed him?