Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I wonder how long before there are websites in China advertising "American Brides."
    I haven't seen that, but there is plenty being written about the numbers of single men. Young and old.

The imported bride business worked pretty well when the bride got to come to the US. Not sure it would play well if the bride had to move to China.
    But then who knows, maybe things under Obama will get so bad that China looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I haven't seen that, but there is plenty being written about the numbers of single men. Young and old.

The imported bride business worked pretty well when the bride got to come to the US. Not sure it would play well if the bride had to move to China.
    But then who knows, maybe things under Obama will get so bad that China looks good!
    Yea, it was sort of a dark humor joke.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I wonder how long before there are websites in China advertising "American Brides."
    nah, they'll get Vietnamese wife's :D
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

And when they do, watch out for ads asking for women with green eyes. Nothing good can come of it. :D
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Inflation: With the control that China holds on theri monetary policy you can support any number you like but whatefer it really is, the government will benefit.

He's old but unless the kid has left the country or died, he has a son, who will somehow get a wife and the veneration of the elderly is just too strong in the culture to disappera in anything short of decades.
    No, he doesn't have a son, because he didn't have a wife. He's got his right hand, the internet and that's about it, thanks to the OC policy. Daughters were aborted or drowned, while sons were kept. There are 300 million more single men than women in the bubble, and they can't all get to Fort Lauderdale for Spring Break, so most of them will end up never being with a woman, much less marrying one. This leaves the state with a surplus of male virgins with a lot of time on their hands, and you can only keep them occupied so long with Star Trek and comic book conventions.
    North Korean, actually. Female refugees from NK to China have been trafficked and forced into marriage at a scary rate. It's a serious human rights issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    And when they do, watch out for ads asking for women with green eyes. Nothing good can come of it. :D
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, 'Give me your best shot. I can take it.
    :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    No, he doesn't have a son, because he didn't have a wife. He's got his right hand, the internet and that's about it, thanks to the OC policy. Daughters were aborted or drowned, while sons were kept. There are 300 million more single men than women in the bubble, and they can't all get to Fort Lauderdale for Spring Break, so most of them will end up never being with a woman, much less marrying one. This leaves the state with a surplus of male virgins with a lot of time on their hands, and you can only keep them occupied so long with Star Trek and comic book conventions...........
    Funny stuff:D:D

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

North Korean, actually. Female refugees from NK to China have been trafficked and forced into marriage at a scary rate. It's a serious human rights issue.
    well, now that Kim Jong Il is dead, the Chinese might open their boarders and just let the single women in :D
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Well that discussion went to hell in a handbasket pretty quick.

On another note
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

American women might be more interested in Chinese men. Chinese men seem to be looking for Russian women.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Well that discussion went to hell in a handbasket pretty quick.

On another note
    Good article.
    “I think China hopes the Western sanctions are imposed so that it can get cheap oil,” he stated.

“The real loser if the Strait of Hormuz is closed and oil and LNG can’t pass through is Japan since it buys both of those items and it has no nuclear power after Fukushima. That could be catastrophic for Japan’s energy stability,” he added.

I can see where they are coming from. I'm sure there are people who know the answer, but the question I have is, "Does China buy enough oil from Iran to sustain Iran through either a protracted sanction period, or an all-out conflict at the Strait of Hormus?

Of course, that is kind of an unknown given that we - at least at my level - have no idea how either situation would affect Iran. I'm betting that Iran doesn't know the answer, either.

But I agree with the article that the chances of Iran actually closing the strait are very slim.