Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    we saved water to

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

When I first moved to this country from Italy in the mid 70'sy, I recall glass bottles of milk being delivered to my aunt's house and thought it was cool. Back in Sicily, we had to walk to the corner at a certain time to pick up milk from the town's milk vendor...lol Now I have to get in my car and drive to Target or Publix to pick up my milk. Progress? I think not.

Today's bs green movement is all about consumerism done "correctly". "green consumerism"

while I am all for being smart about our environment, eco-greeny liberals get under my skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    When I first moved to this country from Italy in the mid 70'sy, I recall glass bottles of milk being delivered to my aunt's house and thought it was cool. Back in Sicily, we had to walk to the corner at a certain time to pick up milk from the town's milk vendor...lol Now I have to get in my car and drive to Target or Publix to pick up my milk. Progress? I think not.

There is a milkman in my current neighborhood, and his truck is from Melody Farms Dairy. My house has an old milkbox on the side, but the previous owners closed it up. My grandparents always had their milk delivered when they lived in Detroit, and it always came in glass bottles.

We never had a milkman in Grand Rapids, when I was a kid in the 70s. My parents said the last time we had one was when we lived in Indianapolis in the mid 60s, where I was born. We had a red-haired milkman and although I have red hair, neither of my parents do, so it was quite the neighborhood joke.

There is an Amish Market in Williamstown, NJ. One of the vendors there sells milk in glass bottled still and you pay a deposit for the bottles. On a side note, milk in glass bottles tastes better.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Now you got me started....
    Dad went to the barn twice a day, did the milking and then brought the milk back to Grandma's house - still warm. I filled in when his shift prevented him from making the old heifer’s schedule. Grandma would let the cream rise and then skim it off to churn butter or swap down at the ag barn. We drank the rest as is.
    We never had a vegetable (and very few fruit) we did not harvest our selves, either from the garden or the woods down the road. Picked up pecans on halves every fall and went hunting polk salad every spring.
    We butchered a hog, a yearling steer and 100 chickens every year and used every bit of it except the moo, cackle and oink (sorry, Rock). Dad raised Ringneck Pheasant and I bred Cornish Game Bantams for sale.
    My uncle delivered glass bottled milk every morning for all his life that I knew him. His horse drawn wagon followed him down the street for him to refill his carrier.

@namvet - used one of those until I was in grade school. Not at our house but at Grandmas.
    Last edited by Retread; 01-19-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.