Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
When I brought up the idea of a trial, I'm assuming most of them (probably 99% of them) will be convicted, not get to return to the battlefield. I'm still not comfortable with this idea, but I see what you're saying. You're right.
Lanie, lets try an experiment here.

Set aside your opinion of this matter. Don't even try to think about it. Now go back to what Ody said, and reread it. Don't let the word trial enter your thought a single time.

These people are not criminals in the sense you associate trials with. They are combatants, just like Ody and I are. Were he or I captured on the battlefield (by a force that adheres to the Geneva Convention), there would be no trial. We would be placed in holding, whether it be a prison facility, camp, or something else along those lines. We would be held there until either there was a cease of hostilities between the two battling powers, or our government negotiated our release.

The people at Gitmo are combatants, but they are illegal combatants. They do not wear identifying uniforms. They do not adhere to the "rules of war" as they are recognized. They often times attempt to disguise themselves in the uniform of their opponents to inflict maximum damage. All in all, they fight in a manner which does not afford them protection under the Geneva Protection, as Ody or I would be afforded.

As I said, we would be (or should be if our government hadn't gotten all nanciefied on this) 100% perfectly entitled to just put a bullet between their eyes when we captured them. Instead we capture, then inter them as if they were legal combatants.

They are lucky they get that. Giving them a "trial" would be a gross miscarriage of justice. One, they have no right to it. Secondly, it's an insult to those of us who do follow the Geneva Convention. We would not be afforded the same right if we were captured. We would not even be allowed to ask for that right.

Is any of this sinking in for you?