Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Newt's affairs and moral failings were public knowledge and Cain's were quiet until, and merely through happenstance, only after he became a front runner.
    So Newt gets a pass just because it's old news?

All that plus his bashing the last couple of weeks of venture capitalists has really been turning me off. So much so I was on the way to becoming a Romney supporter. I started reading up on Romney to see why not Mitt over a scumbag like Newt. Then I ran across an article where Romney had supported the Boy Scouts being forced to let gays serve as scout leaders among other items that made my stomach churn.

I think this is the worst choice I've ever had in the way of who to vote for. I've tried to get enthused and behind somebody but honestly I don't like anybody running this year. In the end I'll vote for the republican nominee who ever it may be but it will not be enthusiastically. Blech!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Yes absolutely, she was the first original home wrecker in the deal and I have no sympathy for her either. My main point is why does Newt declare that his past infidelities is off limits, and he gets a bump out of it and surges; whereas Hermain Cain was basically in the same situation other than he stayed and held his marriage together, but he is forced to drop out over it. I find this to be a double standard.
    AmPat nailed it, basically Newt's were yesterday's news and Cain's were a revelation. It's not the infidelity that gave Newt the bump, it's the way he handled it. He for instance did not say 'She's batshit crazy, let me tell you what really went down,' instead he reamed the press for wasting the debate clock on it and then simply said that wasn't what happened as he saw it but he wasn't going to fling poo either.

I am hungry for someone who will get in the opposition's face, especially after the fiasco of a campaign McLame put on, and I do not have any confidence in Mitt being able to do that, with his old-boy air and penchant for letting others do the wet work so he can keep his hands clean.

Mitt's abysmal NRA rating is also an issue for me.

So Newt gets a pass just because it's old news?

All that plus his bashing the last couple of weeks of venture capitalists has really been turning me off. So much so I was on the way to becoming a Romney supporter. I started reading up on Romney to see why not Mitt over a scumbag like Newt. Then I ran across an article where Romney had supported the Boy Scouts being forced to let gays serve as scout leaders among other items that made my stomach churn.

I think this is the worst choice I've ever had in the way of who to vote for. I've tried to get enthused and behind somebody but honestly I don't like anybody running this year. In the end I'll vote for the republican nominee who ever it may be but it will not be enthusiastically. Blech!
    No where in my post did I suggest Newt getting a pass. Let me be clear------------------

I don't like Newt as our best foot forward. I like Romney less. But I detest the Marxist Usurper much more.

I was trying to explain why Newt's lifestyle isn't given the same treatment as Cain's.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

My sister, who is more liberal than I am in many ways, says "At least Newt isn't stupid", meaning that she thinks he's the smartest republican in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My sister, who is more liberal than I am in many ways, says "At least Newt isn't stupid", meaning that she thinks he's the smartest republican in the race.
    That means by default that you are the smarter one.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    That means by default that you are the smarter one.
    I didn't go to MSU.

Every time I see Newt on tv with his bird-beaked concubine on his arm
    I feel disgust. I felt this way long before the ex-wife interview. Newt pulled
    off a brilliant tactic by taking a hard offensive crush to the media at the first
    mention of the issue cutting off the conversation before it ever got started.

His indignant response of "that was a lie" on wanting an open marraige
    does nothing to erase the fact that he had a 6 year extra-marital affair, and
    the woman standing beside him at the podium was a hoe and a home wrecker.

Tell me what the difference is again between Newt's affairs and Cain's affairs?
    If Newt gets a pass on something that happened long ago why didn't Cain?
    Newt's affairs were actually real, rather than some trumped-up Obama-Axelrod Chicago political machine apparition like Cain's "affair" was.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I forget where I read it recently, but someone said that Newt "talks the way a stupid man thinks a smart man talks." I think that pretty much sums it up.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Newt's affairs were actually real, rather than some trumped-up Obama-Axelrod Chicago political machine apparition like Cain's "affair" was.
    You see his ex? I dont blame him for cheating on her, she looks mean too.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    You see his ex? I dont blame him for cheating on her, she looks mean too.
    So if a woman isn't beautiful, it's okay to cheat. I hadn't heard that rule before. Her illness has definitely taken its toll on her; he wasn't going to stay around if she was sick!

Callista should take it as a warning. ;)

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken