Thread: Breaking: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona says she will resign from Congress this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power CUer
    From David Hawkings' daily CQ/RollCall update today:

"THE HOUSE: Convened at 9 and is done for the week, having voted 408-0 for legislation that would apply anti-smuggling laws to the ultralight aircraft that have become the mule of choice for moving drugs from Mexico into the Southwest.

The bill was a longtime priority of Gabby Giffords, who cast her final vote in favor of her measure just after handing in her letter of resignation during an extraordinarily emotional half an hour of tributes on the floor. I will recover and will return and we will work together again, the Arizona Democrat declared in her letter, which was read by her friend Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Giffords did not come to the microphone, but walked haltingly to the top of the rostrum to hand her resignation paperwork to Boehner, who was far from alone in openly sobbing at the sight."
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    From David Hawkings' daily CQ/RollCall update today:

"THE HOUSE: Convened at 9 and is done for the week, having voted 408-0 for legislation that would apply anti-smuggling laws to the ultralight aircraft that have become the mule of choice for moving drugs from Mexico into the Southwest.

The bill was a longtime priority of Gabby Giffords, who cast her final vote in favor of her measure just after handing in her letter of resignation during an extraordinarily emotional half an hour of tributes on the floor. I will recover and will return and we will work together again, the Arizona Democrat declared in her letter, which was read by her friend Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Giffords did not come to the microphone, but walked haltingly to the top of the rostrum to hand her resignation paperwork to Boehner, who was far from alone in openly sobbing at the sight."
    Boehner cried, your kidding!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Gotta give her props, she still has more brains after the shooting than her friend, Debbie Blabbermouth Schmuck.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Boehner cried, your kidding!
    I know, right?? :p In this case, it's hard to blame him.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I know, right?? :p In this case, it's hard to blame him.
    She is a very likable lady and what happened to her was unspeakable.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I started tearing up watching Schultz read Giffords' letter. She was not my representative and I didn't agree with her on some things but it's still so heartbreaking.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    She is a very likable lady and what happened to her was unspeakable.
    What's more unspeakable is that there are those on the left who still blame conservatives and more specifically, the Tea Party for what happened.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    What's more unspeakable is that there are those on the left who still blame conservatives and more specifically, the Tea Party for what happened.
    I have a hunch that that contributed to her decision to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I started tearing up watching Schultz read Giffords' letter. She was not my representative and I didn't agree with her on some things but it's still so heartbreaking.
    I quickly used the remote before they showed the goodbye footage on whatever Fox news show I was watching at the time...as soon as I heard the words "tear jerking" I was outta there!