Hybrid View

1. #1 Serial Killer Targeting Pit Bulls In Houston Area 
    There is someone killing pit bulls in the Houston area. I really posted this for the idiotic comments that follow.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/...#comment-37965
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

A while back we had a thread about pit bulls. Probably had several of them over the years.

I spoke out against the breed, and while I still have strong feelings about pit bulls, I have to confess that I have recently been befriended by one.
    My daily walk is 3 miles. The stray met me at the beginning, made a fairly pleasant display of submission and responded well when I called him over. I talked to him and petted him for a few moments, and he decided we were buddies. I walked three, he trotted five. And the end I went back into the house and he hung around outside.
    No collar. Doesn't live in the neighborhood. Well fed, and happy. Young.
    I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I called our animal control department. I waited with him and when the truck arrived he made a submissive display followed by meeting our new best friend the Dog Catcher, and hopped into the front seat of the truck. Yeah. The front. The guy said he doesn't like to put dogs like that in the back; it scares them.

I called a few minutes ago and they said that the dog had been adopted almost immediately. Made me feel good. I know this particular facility would only allow adoption by someone who was qualified (pit bulls are regulated in our town, and must wear city-issued collars)

It's nice to know that someone understood what he was getting and had been looking for that particular breed. But I will always be wary of pit bulls. We all know what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    A while back we had a thread about pit bulls. Probably had several of them over the years.

I spoke out against the breed, and while I still have strong feelings about pit bulls, I have to confess that I have recently been befriended by one.
    My daily walk is 3 miles. The stray met me at the beginning, made a fairly pleasant display of submission and responded well when I called him over. I talked to him and petted him for a few moments, and he decided we were buddies. I walked three, he trotted five. And the end I went back into the house and he hung around outside.
    No collar. Doesn't live in the neighborhood. Well fed, and happy. Young.
    I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I called our animal control department. I waited with him and when the truck arrived he made a submissive display followed by meeting our new best friend the Dog Catcher, and hopped into the front seat of the truck. Yeah. The front. The guy said he doesn't like to put dogs like that in the back; it scares them.

I called a few minutes ago and they said that the dog had been adopted almost immediately. Made me feel good. I know this particular facility would only allow adoption by someone who was qualified (pit bulls are regulated in our town, and must wear city-issued collars)

It's nice to know that someone understood what he was getting and had been looking for that particular breed. But I will always be wary of pit bulls. We all know what they can do.
    Glad to hear that. They are a great breed, but like any other large breed, they need a responsible owner. I have a pit/boxer mix that is the biggest scaredy cat you'll meet, unless you are man and you walk up too close to me. She doesn't attack, but she lets you know that you're too close to her daddy.

We do know what they're capable of, and it's the same thing any large athletic dog is capable of.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Yeah, people are stupid. If you have small children, you probably shouldn't have a pit bull, especially a younger one. If you don't have small children, and you train your dog properly from the time it's a puppy, it doesn't matter whether it's a pit bull, it will be a good dog.

I personally think pit bulls are ugly, but have had some as friends over the years and in the course of my job. At least they don't have the high-pitched, irritating bark that small dogs, like my mom's psycho-yorkie have.

It's still wrong for someone to go around killing dogs of any breed.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    ...........I personally think pit bulls are ugly, but.........
    Think pitt bulls are ugly? Try the bull terrier.

Usually found in England, these dogs cannot be trusted around animals, but have a fairly good reputation among people.
    I don't want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Think pitt bulls are ugly? Try the bull terrier.

Usually found in England, these dogs cannot be trusted around animals, but have a fairly good reputation among people.
    I don't want one.
    Dude, Spuds McKensie kicks ass.