Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 US new-home sales fell in Dec., finish dismal 2011 
    WASHINGTON (AP) Fewer Americans bought new homes in December, making 2011 the worst sales year on record.

The Commerce Department says new-home sales fell last month to a seasonally adjusted annual pace of 307,000. The pace is less than half the 700,000 that economists say must be sold in a healthy economy.
    Total sales last year were less than the 323,000 sold in 2010, making it the worst year on records dating back to 1963.

The median sales prices for new homes dropped in December, as builders continued to slash prices. It fell 2.5 percent to $210,300.

The decline in sales comes as other signs suggest the depressed housing market is starting to recover. Construction picked up, sales of previously occupied homes are rising, and builders are slightly more confident.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-home-sales-...151418003.html
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The sales in Sarasota are slightly up, but there are many houses in foreclosure. The prices are starting to almost hold their own. I've noticed that most of the homes in our own area are selling, but they sure aren't getting top dollar. At least the homes aren't on the market quite as long.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The sales in Sarasota are slightly up, but there are many houses in foreclosure. The prices are starting to almost hold their own. I've noticed that most of the homes in our own area are selling, but they sure aren't getting top dollar. At least the homes aren't on the market quite as long.
    Not to dash your dreams, but I've been told it's an illusion and the explanation is plausible.

My mother lives in the marina, where homes have held their value better than elsewhere in this area. But all is not peachy. Across the street is a house that is not officially in foreclosure, because the bank hasn't started the litigation. They don't have to foreclose to preserve their rights, they can simply do nothing. So the neighbor across the street has paid no mortgage for three years. I have no idea who pays the taxes, but you can drag that out a long time too.

The banks are sitting on a lot of foreclosures, but because of the seasonal nature of Florida, it's not so obvious how many houses are sitting empty or are in default.

Not surprising. Most people are spending their time and money Christmas shopping in December.

Las Vegas area home sales were up, but prices are low. 57% of all sales were bank owned homes, which drove the prices down for everyone.

More

I bought at the right time, August 2010 :D

Have no fear, O Blah Blah is "focused like a LASER on job creation."
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

a lot of builder's have been renting new homes just to keep their boat afloat
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    a lot of builder's have been renting new homes just to keep their boat afloat
    Other than build to suit houses on scattered lots, I really can't understand why there are new homes tracts being built at all. There is a glut of housing available. Why would you spend the money for a new house in a new subdivision when you can buy in an established area? It doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Other than build to suit houses on scattered lots, I really can't understand why there are new homes tracts being built at all. There is a glut of housing available. Why would you spend the money for a new house in a new subdivision when you can buy in an established area? It doesn't make sense.
    There are land owners who want to have their homes built on land they already own. This is a good time for those nearing retirement to do so. Also, buying cookie cutter houses is not what many people want in a home.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    those new subdivision's were very popular. not so much now. they included lawn and snow removal. but for a price. and home owner dues can cover this although they can be high priced. you may have to support a club house and swimming pool and other amenities as well. plus builder's still want that high price. so they rent hoping the market will open up again. their victims of their own greed. problem is these unsold homes still cost them utilities and high real estate tax's.
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots