Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Galveston, Texas has been devastated by Hurricane IKE. What can we at DU do to help? 
    Sonnabend
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...062520#7062531

Blue_Roses Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Sep-14-08 02:52 AM
    Original message
    Galveston, Texas has been devastated by Hurricane IKE. What can we at DU do to help?

Advertisements [?]
    Edited on Sun Sep-14-08 02:59 AM by Blue_Roses
    Galveston is a special place to me personally. I used to spend summers there as a kid because this is where my grandparent's lived for more than 40 years. I even went back a couple of months ago to show my own kids the fun and heritage of their great-grand-parents love for the "island." But today, as I looked on at the many devastating reports of Hurricane Ike's furry, I saw a completely different Galveston. It's destroyed and the people are hurting. While my affections run deep for Galveston, there are MANY other areas affected by this monster storm as well.

Here is some footage of the devastation:

This was the Balinese Room:

I want to go down there and help out in any way I can, but no one can get in right now. I know those affected will need a lot of help, so anyone who has ideas of how we can get a relief effort started so we can help just PM me. It would be awesome .
    So far five responses, and not one offer.

SeattleGirl Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Sep-14-08 03:29 AM
    Response to Reply #2
    3. Yes, they are indeed. Updated at 2:59 AM

I'm sure the End Timers are celebrating, but as for me, I'm so sad that all these things (weather, job loss, etc.) are hitting us like this.

If we don't turn this around, I truly fear for us, even more than I already do.
    Says the DUer at her computer.

Sadly, Galveston, as we once knew it is gone. The island is closed to the outside world until further notice. It will take at least a decade to rebuild.:(

donate to charities of your choice.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Sonnabend
    It will take at least a decade to rebuild.
    I think a lot less time than that.

What can DU do to help?

Follow through on the numerous promises to leave the Country would be a good start.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Are they sendin pics of their hands yet?,,,,,I have my pic all ready to go...
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganForRus View Post
    Sadly, Galveston, as we once knew it is gone. The island is closed to the outside world until further notice. It will take at least a decade to rebuild.:(
    These ain't New Orleans, Pal! And the people that populate them parts will do it themselves. Two years, tops and Galveston will be back. We work in Texas and when disasters like this strike we send the Government packing as soon as the water recedes and lights come on. We do not need Government interlopers getting in the way of getting thigs done.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    What can DU do to help?
    Follow through on the numerous promises to leave the Country would be a good start.
    AMEN!! :D
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaganForRus View Post
    Doubtful. My brother lives in Galveston and he gives it 1.5-2 years and the island will look like Ike never hit. Tomorrow he's trying to get back on the island, will see if his car is where he left it and will start, then will survey the damage at his apartment.

This is reality of life on a barrier island, or in any coastal region where hurricanes can impact you - storms hit, you rebuild if necessary, and move on. If a person's not up for the risk, then there are plenty of other places to live.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    What can the DUmmies do to help? Why blame Bu$hCo and the BFEE of course!
    Stupid DUmmy. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!