Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 So a few baptists came to the door today . . . 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota,FL
    Posts
    42,736
    :D This one is pretty funny.



    Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:43 AM
    Prism


    So a few baptists came to the door today . . .

    Last edited Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:45 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    I was getting ready for work when the doorbell rang. I was a little surprised because the entrance to my apartment is in the back of the building, and usually only squirrels and hummingbirds manage to find the place. But, being a sociable sort, I answered the door, and there were two men. Entirely too blonde, too many teeth, powder blue button downs and khakis that imply entirely too much put-togetherness. But, I'm absurdly polite, so I say hallo.

    "Hi, we're from the Baptist church over on . . ."

    Ok, no. I'm a gay deist. But they persist as my boyfriend observes hidden in the recesses of the apartment. "Have you thought about what happens to you in the ever after?" I certainly have. And being an amateur cosmologist, it has almost nothing to do with the Bible. But, just for shits and giggles (and vaguely because I feel like this will be the path of least resistance), I note "Of course. I'm Catholic (I was raised one. Southern Baptists hate Catholics, so I figured this was an easy out. Not so!).

    This generates lots of discussion about interpretations of the Bible.

    I do a bit of ideological fencing. Their idea of Catholicism is a bit stereotypical ("No, not all Catholics are super-obedient to the Pope in Rome). We discusss Biblical passages. They ask me all about the after-life. I answer. They discuss. I answer. I answer for at least twenty minutes. Finally, I declare, "So, I need to leave for work soon, but I'll read this and think on it." End of communication.

    And you know what? It didn't hurt me. It didn't scar me. I'm a gay male raised Catholic, and I could weather some evangelical missionaries at my front door while my homosexual boyfriend hovered in the backrground. They believed what they do quite earnestly, and it didn't entirely destroy my shit.

    I feel like we've lost something in this country. The ability to say "Well, I don't believe as you do, but, whatever." Isn't that the mark of tolerance and plurality? To be able to say "We're different, and that's pretty ok!"

    When we can't say that, I feel we're erring. No, I don't share their religion. Yes, they're totally hosed about my equality. I could've gotten real, real nasty. But . . . that's not who I am. We believe. I'll lay my case out as best I can, we'll have a dialogue, and let's see where we go from there.

    So, I spent my morning sopping wet, just this side of being late to work, totally gay, and had a conversation with Baptists who were evangelizing.

    And I lived to tell the tale.

    Imagine that.

    OK...and da kicker!


    Response to Prism (Original post)
    Sun Jan 29, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Obamanaut

    3. Oh my goodness! I 'rec' this OP. No police jumped out of the bushes, no tattooed bikers


    were converted to another ideal while in a checkout line, no senior citizens were berated in a fast food joint, no clerks were 'put in their place' for giving a cordial farewell.

    Yours was an outstanding OP.

    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,841
    Nova will just luf this!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,847


    And why? Because of the kicker...
    So a few baptists came to the door today . . . Reply to Thread
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Dan D. Doty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pevely, Missouri
    Posts
    2,953
    I think the OP is telling the truth in this one.

    No screaming ...

    No one acting like an asshole ...

    Baptists not crying their eyes out ...

    Baptists not converted to Moonbatism ...

    Just a normal person talking to other normal people.

    DUers are going to hate hearing that.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.


    Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,072
    Reminds me of a time some Southern Babtists caught me sitting at a bus stop in Biloxi. There were completely confused when I told them I was an atheist. It was a completely amicable discussion, no one left with any feelings hurt. They were more curious then anything else, about my state of mind when I thought about death, and things like that. A lovely bunch of fellows if I do say so myself.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Nova will just luf this!
    I've never had a Baptist come to my door evangelically. Jehovah's Nitwits and Moron missionaries, but no Baptists.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Reminds me of a time some Southern Babtists caught me sitting at a bus stop in Biloxi. There were completely confused when I told them I was an atheist. It was a completely amicable discussion, no one left with any feelings hurt. They were more curious then anything else, about my state of mind when I thought about death, and things like that. A lovely bunch of fellows if I do say so myself.
    I had a pleasant conversation with some JW who came to my house one day. A married couple from Ireland via Canada. I enjoyed listening to the accent so I let him go on about JW beliefs, and they is actually some reason to listen compared to the ANglican and Catholic beliefs I was raised with. For one thing, he explained the whole thing about not going to heaven and it made a lot of sense. Until then, I couldn't imagine why anyone would belong to a religion which as much as told you that you aren't going to heaven (assuming you were going to be a Christian).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I've never had a Baptist come to my door evangelically. Jehovah's Nitwits and Moron missionaries, but no Baptists.
    When I was a kid, David Wood came to our house when he opened Heritage Baptist Church in Kentwood. He also was the director of the Michigan Moral Majority at the time.

    Now, Rev. Wood is all about provoking muslims in Dearborn.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    When I was a kid, David Wood came to our house when he opened Heritage Baptist Church in Kentwood. He also was the director of the Michigan Moral Majority at the time.

    Now, Rev. Wood is all about provoking muslims in Dearborn.
    It's a shame when only such a person has the guts and willingness to actually oppose a problem like Islam. This is what I mean when I tell people that they need to get on the correct side of immigration and cultural aggression in the US, or a leader will arise who sounds remarkably like Hitler and inspires the nation. Yes, I am serious, I think this is where we and the countries of Western Europe are headed, except that we'll all be on the same side this time. Hell, the Japanese might even come along.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's a shame when only such a person has the guts and willingness to actually oppose a problem like Islam. This is what I mean when I tell people that they need to get on the correct side of immigration and cultural aggression in the US, or a leader will arise who sounds remarkably like Hitler and inspires the nation. Yes, I am serious, I think this is where we and the countries of Western Europe are headed, except that we'll all be on the same side this time. Hell, the Japanese might even come along.
    Too late. The Irish already fucked up America.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •