Thread: Occupiers deface US flag

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I don't think that they are, I think that they are the face that you like to put on the left because you think it works for you.

I play Trivia with "the left" on Wednesdays. They aren't anarchist idiots out there spewing about the evils of capitalism, the fed, jews, and the general injustices of the world. They are neo-quakers, school teachers, a handyman at a senior residence, an antique dealer, a retired director from Nav Air, an accountant at a major Christian organization and his son the aspiring (but unlikely) entertainment lawyer. These people will never vote Republican (except the lawyer son who is a Ronulan), they will go stand on the corner of US 19 and 22 with Stop The War signs, but they will not burn the American flag or hang out in Oakland.
    Those people you play trivia with don't end up on the news every night though.

The "face" is the part that gets publicity.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, you're saying that I should riot and set stuff on fire to register my objection to conduct that I find hateful so that the media and our elites will kowtow to me the way that they do to Muslims? Thanks for making part of my point. .
    No, and you already know this, I was saying that muzzies rioting in the streets or threatening to over some national insult like burning the Koran is more newsworthy than a bunch of bipolar losers in Oakland engaging in a tiresome ritual that makes them feel fierce and revolutionary.

In my book, Mexicans burning an American flag in the street of LA or Phoenix needs to be a picture on the front page of every newspaper in the US. It actually means something, it's a sign that the "But they are just looking for a job and to help their families" folks need to see. Those idiots in Oakland are utterly irrelevant. They are basically homeless people with a pastime.

I play Trivia with "the left" on Wednesdays. They aren't anarchist idiots ...
    That is strange. A good friend of mine is a Free Market Anarchist. He is considered as far right as it gets.

When I think of anarchists, I think of the far right.

On Edit: He is not an idiot, though. He is a PHd in economics. I suppose you can be an educated idiot but he is a very nice person with little or no hostility. He just believes, with a religious fervor, in the infallibility of the Market.

Fabulous Poster

My point is that there are no consequences for these guys. .
    First Amendment protects them from consequences as long as they own the flag and aren't putting anyone else in danger or damaging public property.

I do think it would be funny if you could get on the news burning an anarchist in effigy.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    That is strange. A good friend of mine is a Free Market Anarchist. He is considered as far right as it gets.

When I think of anarchists, I think of the far right.
    I just think of idiots in ninja outfits with a confusing logo.

I just think of idiots in ninja outfits with a confusing logo.
    I think of Austrians in ties trying to convince Pinochet to let the Market decide.

Fabulous Poster
    He just believes, with a religious fervor, in the infallibility of the Market.
    There isn't a huge difference between believing that and believing that nothing matters. The difference between a Wall Street Speculator with a house on Fire Island and a person worrying about his 401k is that the Wall Street guy isn't afraid to not pay his mortgage for a couple of months.

No, and you already know this, I was saying that muzzies rioting in the streets or threatening to over some national insult like burning the Koran is more newsworthy than a bunch of bipolar losers in Oakland engaging in a tiresome ritual that makes them feel fierce and revolutionary.
    In other words, it's the consequences of the national insult, rather than the insult itself. We're saying the same thing. I want there to be consequences for burning the flag. I don't want to riot, or tear down our society, in fact I want to preserve it, and one of the ways to do that is to remove those whose stated goal is its destruction.

In my book, Mexicans burning an American flag in the street of LA or Phoenix needs to be a picture on the front page of every newspaper in the US. It actually means something, it's a sign that the "But they are just looking for a job and to help their families" folks need to see.
    Agreed.
    Those idiots in Oakland are utterly irrelevant. They are basically homeless people with a pastime.
    No, they're actually not homeless. These are affluent punks who are playing at being revolutionaries. They're today's Weather Underground and SDS. They're Bill Ayers, Bernadine Dohrn and, somewhere in the mix, the next Barrack Obama.
    First Amendment protects them from consequences as long as they own the flag and aren't putting anyone else in danger or damaging public property.

I do think it would be funny if you could get on the news burning an anarchist in effigy.
    They stole the flag from the building.
    I think of Austrians in ties trying to convince Pinochet to let the Market decide.
    And it worked marvelously well. Chile had the highest GDP in Latin America.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

There isn't a huge difference between believing that and believing that nothing matters.
    You are talking about nihilists.

Fabulous Poster
    They stole the flag from the building.
    Well, that's a horse of a different color.... and also explains the masks.