Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    No, but it changes whether that human being has a right to be there.

We're close enough on the rest of the issue that I'm willing to agree to disagree on this point if you are.
    That's fine. I realized long ago that I am on the extreme end of the issue and have argued about it too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    That's fine. I realized long ago that I am on the extreme end of the issue and have argued about it too many times.
    No problem. We're arguing from shared premises, i.e., the rights of the human being in the womb. Our disagreement is a matter of degree.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    All of this will or should be moot as soon as medical science comes up with a "switch" type birth control that can stay in the "off" position and requires some positive action, perhaps medical action to be changed to the "on" position.

I'm thinking that a valve of some sort installed in boys at birth would do the trick (and be a mother's dream). Perhaps it could be tied to some kind of medical ethics, ie it cannot be switched to the "on" position if you have a "thug for life" tattoo (only god can judge me, thunderbolts, the name of any other person, dates, or skulls), use the expression "imma gonna", or belong to a megachurch in Colorado.
    Last edited by Novaheart; 02-02-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    All of this will or should be moot as soon as medical science comes up with a "switch" type birth control that can stay in the "off" position and requires some positive action, perhaps medical action to be changed to the "on" position.

I'm thinking that a valve of some sort installed in boys at birth would do the trick (and be a mother's dream). Perhaps it could be tied to some kind of medical ethics, ie it cannot be switched to the "on" position if you have a "thug for life" tattoo (only god can judge me, thunderbolts, the name of any other person, dates, or skulls), use the expression "imma gonna", or belong to a megachurch in Colorado.
    Or, we can just sterilize everybody at birth and create people in vats, and since we're doing that, we can engineer them for specific aptitudes and functions, and classify them accordingly. Now, if you'll excuse me, the Alpha++ group is having a Soma party and it's my turn to bring the donuts.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

And then we can have a far left, Marxist group like say, the DIMoRAT party mandate the installation in our babies? Perhaps they could just add it to the forced socialized healthcare they gave us under cover of darkness. If they are clever enough, they can pass it without our consent and we'll all be whistling Dixie and extolling the virtues of our Dear Leaders who know much better than we do what is in our best interest.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Or, we can just sterilize everybody at birth and create people in vats, and since we're doing that, we can engineer them for specific aptitudes and functions, and classify them accordingly. Now, if you'll excuse me, the Alpha++ group is having a Soma party and it's my turn to bring the donuts.
    Or if being gay is caused by a defective gene we could weed those out if we grew people in vats, so there is a upside to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Or if being gay is caused by a defective gene we could weed those out if we grew people in vats, so there is a upside to that.
    Someone would just forget to clean the bottom of the vats.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Huxley understood humans much better than Orwell.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    And then we can have a far left, Marxist group like say, the DIMoRAT party mandate the installation in our babies? Perhaps they could just add it to the forced socialized healthcare they gave us under cover of darkness. If they are clever enough, they can pass it without our consent and we'll all be whistling Dixie and extolling the virtues of our Dear Leaders who know much better than we do what is in our best interest.
    Not everyone is in the federal/military healthcare system.

Not everyone is in the federal/military healthcare system.
    Then they can either pay for it for themselves, AS I DO YOU TURD BURGLAR, or they can go without.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand