Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I'm cleaning today since I was in Tampa yesterday. I feel so out of sync.

TOTD: I love to travel and experience different cultures. I do not think it is essential though. The internet and television have made other cultures and perspectives much more accessible to the masses than was possible in the past.
    Certainly, the internets and TV have made a huge range of knowledge available to people who, previously, would have to read books to get the same. Young people who utilize these technologies today almost casually know about things I, as a child and young adult, felt was "exotic knowledge." Of course, as with most things, the vast majority use them for other purposes, primarily social, but that doesn't detract from the availability of huge stores of knowledge. And God, I'm certainly addicted to travel videos, for example, as I have all of Michael Palin's works on DVD.

However, I still don't think that these really provide a full substitute for actually being there. A Samantha Brown travelogue of China may be interesting, and provide a certain level of overview that one previously derived from books. But actually walking around HK, and presumably Beijing and Shanghai, talking to people, observing the customs and mores in detail, teaches you so much more about the everyday concerns and issues of the people than can any book, travelogue, or internet site.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    No, there is really no substitute for actually being there. Although, I can think of a couple places I visited where my initial thought was "It looked better in the picture".:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    No, there is really no substitute for actually being there. Although, I can think of a couple places I visited where my initial thought was "It looked better in the picture".:p
    Oh yeah! That's certainly true for a lot of Eastern Europe, in that the photos tend to show you quaint churches and monastaries, renovated "medieval" buildings, etc. -- sort of "Prisoner of Zenda" style. They fail to show you the gulag-type apartment blocs and office buildings that are the legacy almost fifty years of occupation by the Cossacks.

TOTD reminds me of the youtube Matt vid. I read about Matt and how he started his traveling on very little money, and ended up being fully sponsored. What a life!!

I wish more American young people were able to take that year to see the world. Also wish there was more of a focus on learning a second language starting in gradeschool, etc.

I have only traveled to cruise ship type locations, staying for a week at a time, and mostly not seeing much past the resort and the beach, and the touristy .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4
    Last edited by Jumpy; 09-14-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    TOTD reminds me of the youtube Matt vid. I read about Matt and how he started his traveling on very little money, and ended up being fully sponsored. What a life!!

I wish more American young people were able to take that year to see the world. Also wish there was more of a focus on learning a second language starting in gradeschool, etc.

I have only traveled to cruise ship type locations, staying for a week at a time, and mostly not seeing much past the resort and the beach, and the touristy .
    What a great video, Jumps. It'll be on my ipod this afternoon, thanks!

I've only done one cruise, and that was many years ago with my ex-wife in the Aegean. When we go to the Caribbean, we generally try to avoid the Sandals-style resorts, as you don't get to sample any of the real island, its food, its people. I would like to do an Alaska cruise.

BTW, post the youtube as an [URL] not as a [IMG] file and it works a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    What a great video, Jumps. It'll be on my ipod this afternoon, thanks!

I've only done one cruise, and that was many years ago with my ex-wife in the Aegean. When we go to the Caribbean, we generally try to avoid the Sandals-style resorts, as you don't get to sample any of the real island, its food, its people. I would like to do an Alaska cruise.

BTW, post the youtube as an [URL] not as a [IMG] file and it works a lot better.
    edited.. thanks.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I doubt I'll do another Caribbean cruise, but the one in the Baltic we took was wonderful. As for Alaska, come along on the one we're taking next spring!
    http://www.rssc.com/voyage/details.jsp?code=MAR090520
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Just got back from Vegas, humming "if I can just get off of this L.A. Freeway without getting killed or caught" as I negotiated insane drivers, tourists and road construction until we cleared the city...then five hours of NOTHING....nothing ..nothing...no radio, no cell, nobody else...FIVE hours with a five year old in the back alternating "I gotta peeeeeeeeeeee!" with "are we there yet?" and "I miss grandma, she's more fun that you, why aren't you ever any fun mama"
    someone shoot me please

CW you can take your travel and put it...................
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    Just got back from Vegas, humming "if I can just get off of this L.A. Freeway without getting killed or caught" as I negotiated insane drivers, tourists and road construction until we cleared the city...then five hours of NOTHING....nothing ..nothing...no radio, no cell, nobody else...FIVE hours with a five year old in the back alternating "I gotta peeeeeeeeeeee!" with "are we there yet?" and "I miss grandma, she's more fun that you, why aren't you ever any fun mama"
    someone shoot me please

So what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but the trip back can be Hades? :D

Glad you are safe at home.

And I have had zero success finding the song by Waylon about the old veteran teaching guitar chords and life lessons to the youngster. Still looking though.

Have a good week, Lurkie. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    someone shoot me please

Ain't parenthood wonderful? :D