Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 ole lady's start trip to scrap yard 
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,058
    [youtube]pRxNaI91ifE[/youtube]

    mare island, Vallejo, CA. no longer needed these ole gals are stripped here and sent to the scrap heaps in TX, LA and AL. you'll see the USS Pyro pull in. a pal of mine is there today to kiss her goodbye.

    pack rat fleet at Suisun Bay, is now down to under a 100 and more will wind up on the scrap heap

    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    [youtube]pRxNaI91ifE[/youtube]

    mare island, Vallejo, CA. no longer needed these ole gals are stripped here and sent to the scrap heaps in TX, LA and AL. you'll see the USS Pyro pull in. a pal of mine is there today to kiss her goodbye.

    pack rat fleet at Suisun Bay, is now down to under a 100 and more will wind up on the scrap heap

    what battle wagon is that all the way to the right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    what battle wagon is that all the way to the right?
    the USS Iowa. but she's found a home down in the LA area. they'll move her down there for restoration and display. she's been in limbo for years. the lib gov in frisco wanted her gone. they even threatened to take her out and sink her. im glad she's gone. just hope they take care of her
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    the USS Iowa. but she's found a home down in the LA area. they'll move her down there for restoration and display. she's been in limbo for years. the lib gov in frisco wanted her gone. they even threatened to take her out and sink her. im glad she's gone. just hope they take care of her
    Why the hell would they want to sink her? The Iowa's are works of art, I go to the USS New Jersey all the time and marvel at the craftsmanship.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Why the hell would they want to sink her? The Iowa's are works of art, I go to the USS New Jersey all the time and marvel at the craftsmanship.
    because they consider all of them a threat to the enviroment. green. no gray
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,058
    just found out the Iowa has already left pack rat fleet. she's in Richmond under going repairs before her trip to LA.

    ABOARD THE USS IOWA Ė This World War II-era battleship, whose speed, armor and 16-inch guns made its name as "The Big Stick" of the U.S. Navy, began the first leg of its final mission Thursday, departing a mothball mooring in Suisun Bay, Calif., toward a new home as a museum in Los Angeles.

    story

    [youtube]NWN1We_7qlk[/youtube]
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I go to the USS New Jersey all the time
    The New Jersey is bitching. I love driving down the PA side and getting a look at her sitting right there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member namvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western Mo
    Posts
    3,058
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The New Jersey is bitching. I love driving down the PA side and getting a look at her sitting right there.
    I heard there are place's and space's off limits in the NJ. either unfinished or dangerous. and not enough money to fix them. that true???
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,144
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I heard there are place's and space's off limits in the NJ. either unfinished or dangerous. and not enough money to fix them. that true???
    There are places off limits, the lower decks I believe. It wasn't relevant last time I was there because I wasn't there for a tour, as it were. They have cut back on the hours and staff too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I heard there are place's and space's off limits in the NJ. either unfinished or dangerous. and not enough money to fix them. that true???
    A buddy of mine who was in the navy (not in a BB) sneeked us in to CPO country and it was off limits but it was in good shape. The only thing that needs work is the teak decks. I wish more of you squids would donate some money for the old girl :) I am sure there are areas that are in not to great a shape but a vast majority of the ship is open, the only place I didnt see was the engineer spaces and I would've love to see them
    Last edited by Bailey; 02-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •