Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    There are places off limits, the lower decks I believe. It wasn't relevant last time I was there because I wasn't there for a tour, as it were. They have cut back on the hours and staff too.
    The Tours are different from the self guided tours but are led by old timers who were in the navy and they are very helpful, I could go every week and still love it. :)

On a separate note I wish they'd do something with the United State (cruse ship) its a rusting hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    A buddy of mine who was in the navy (not in a BB) sneeked us in to CPO country and it was off limits but it was in good shape. The only thing that needs work is the teak decks. I wish more of you squids would donate some money for the old girl :) I am sure there are areas that are in not to great a shape but a vast majority of the ship is open, the only place I didnt see was the engineer spaces and I would've love to see them
    this "squid" as you call me made his contribution to save the Iowa

im sure there's tons of squids in NJ that can help
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    this "squid" as you call me made his contribution to save the Iowa

im sure there's tons of squids in NJ that can help

I hope there are more donations from everyone its a a beautiful ship :(

The volunteers are very helpful and I never knew what those letters you see on or around the bridge but i heard they awards for leading in certain areas of ship board maintenance
    Last edited by Bailey; 02-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Governor Culver signed resolution in early 2010
    On April 12, 2010 Governor Chet Culver signed a resolution to support preservation efforts for the Battleship USS Iowa
    The provisions of Senate Joint Resolution 2007 include:

The state of Iowa supports the assignment of the USS Iowa as a permanent naval museum to an appropriate location.
    A committee of ten is created to be appointed by the Governor to support efforts for the preservation and relocation of the Battleship Iowa.
    A BB-61 fund is created in the State Treasury to be administered by the Department of Cultural Affairs. The fund’s proceeds shall be used for the purposes of preserving and relocating of the Battleship Iowa.
    The Department of Cultural Affairs shall provide all necessary administrative support for the committee and shall administer the BB-61 fund.
    “As we honor the sailors who lost their lives on the USS Iowa, we are also taking a step to tell the story of this great ship,” Governor Culver said. “With my signature, the process of making the USS Iowa into a permanent museum begins. Thanks to the leadership of Senate President Jack Kibbie and Representative McKinley Bailey, the legislature passed language formally supporting the preservation and relocation of the USS Iowa, and giving resources to do that. We proudly honor the fact that this ship was named after the state we love, and that this ship will continue to educate Americans from all walks of life about our country’s rich military history, through the narrative of the Iowa.”

To Donate
    The effort to preserve USS Iowa needs your help. If you would like to make a donation to this fund you may either send a check to "The Department of Cultural Affairs" with a memo of "USS Iowa" or call and donate via credit card.
    ---------------------------------
    this is when I made my donation. and it worked. the Iowa is free. she found a home. LA.

[youtube]NWN1We_7qlk[/youtube]

the New Jersey served with us in Nam

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots