Thread: SkimLinks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 SkimLinks 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This is a new "Advertising Feature" that I added today.

You of course can look it up on your own but in a nutshell the software, which is a VBulletin PlugIn, reads the board posts and turns certain key words into links. If you end up buying something using the link, CU gets a cut.

I like this software so far as there are no Banner ads for products and as you enter posts the possible nummber of links that you might be interested in increases.

Here is an example, the word webcam.
    At some point it will be turned into a link, the word Amazon is good too.
    If you put your mouse over the linky, it will tell you it was generated by SkimWord which is a SkimLink product.

The software "learns" so you should start seeing more links as time goes by.

Let me know what you think and if you buy something from one of the links you are helping offset CUs expenses. And no, I don't expect to be getting rich from this...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Hmmmm ...

SR, I am in the market for a Jenn Air Cooktop.

Is simply typing in the above words enough to generate a possible link for CU?

If it is ... you got it!

I will gladly click on it and help out this most addictive :D of forums; and for Linda, I guess should say fora. :p

Sorry Linda, couldn't help myself.

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Hmmmm ...

SR, I am in the market for a Jenn Air Cooktop.

Is simply typing in the above words enough to generate a possible link for CU?

If it is ... you got it!

I will gladly click on it and help out this most addictive :D of forums; and for Linda, I guess should say fora. :p

Sorry Linda, couldn't help myself.

~ ABC
    Go with Kitchen aide, Jenn air is not the same quality since Whirlpool bought them. The repair man has been out 6 times since sept to fix my jenn aire convection oven, I hope this last time works for more than two weeks.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

But Rock ...

I miss the one I had in Florida!!! (need a crying smilie here!)

Had no trouble with it. I am talking ceramic cooktops ... don't know anything about the ovens, however. You could be right.

~ ABC

But Rock ...

I miss the one I had in Florida!!! (need a crying smilie here!)

Had no trouble with it. I am talking ceramic cooktops ... don't know anything about the ovens, however. You could be right.

~ ABC
    If you do buy it make sure you get an extended warranty.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Go with Kitchen aide, Jenn air is not the same quality since Whirlpool bought them.
    Did not know that.

Now, you wretch, will probably spend most of my day researching on this machine! :D

I take buckets of time reading all the customer reviews. Will do it anyway!

Thanks again.

~ ABC

PS ... meant to add, at my tender young age, most likely the warranties, will outlive me! :D
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 02-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Did not know that.

Now, you wretch, will probably spend most of my day researching on this machine! :D

I take buckets of time reading all the customer reviews. Will do it anyway!

Thanks again.

~ ABC
    My biggest customer who also owns the oil leases I pump is an electrical engineer, he has a testing lab in Leonard and does testing for insurance companies.
    When a house burns down it is most often caused by an appliance, he inspects the burn site and brings the appliances to the lab to determine which one caused the fire and what failed on that appliance.
    They then have representatives of the appliance company, insurance company and lawyers come to the lab for a viewing where they demonstrate how the fire was started.
    It is my job to haul off the dead appliance carcasses with my tractor and crush and put them in the dumpster.
    I get in on all the talk about the current quality of the different brands of appliances. If you would like send me the model and make of what you are buying and they can check it against their hot list.

My biggest customer who also owns the oil leases I pump is an electrical engineer, he has a testing lab in Leonard and does testing for insurance companies.
    When a house burns down it is most often caused by an appliance, he inspects the burn site and brings the appliances to the lab to determine which one caused the fire and what failed on that appliance.
    They then have representatives of the appliance company, insurance company and lawyers come to the lab for a viewing where they demonstrate how the fire was started.
    It is my job to haul off the dead appliance carcasses with my tractor and crush and put them in the dumpster.
    I get in on all the talk about the current quality of the different brands of appliances. If you would like send me the model and make of what you are buying and they can check it against their hot list.
    Wow, we won't need to subscribe to Consumer Reports. Your reports will be more accurate and unbiased.

I had a Jenn-Aire ceramic cooktop in St Louis. It was OK, but had cheap little plastic knobs. I should say cheaply made plastic knobs. A square griddle barely touched one of those knobs (it was too close to the burner) and it about melted the knob. It cost us $18 plus shipping to replace the knob. We were getting the house ready to sell, so I had to bite the bullet and pay it.

I like the Kitchen-Aid dishwasher. In fact I liked it so much that we went out and got another one, virtually the same model, when the dishwasher blew out shortly after we got the house. So much for what they said were all new appliances. It turned out it was 7 years old. I would have thought it would last longer than that.

We bought a warranty.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    SkimLinks is out of CU at this time. It is built into the new version of vBulletin (currently a PlugIn) so it will be back after the upgrade.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Go with Kitchen aide, Jenn air is not the same quality since Whirlpool bought them. The repair man has been out 6 times since sept to fix my jenn aire convection oven, I hope this last time works for more than two weeks.
    Doesn't Whirlpool own Kitchen Aid? It's similar to Toyota owning a Lexus.
    From what I recall when buying Appliances years ago...Whirlpool products went by the following..
    Whirlpool, Whirlpool Gold, Kitchen Aid.

I went with Kitchen Aid and my dishwasher broke down after a year. I now have Whirlpool appliances and their quality is much better. No issues at all.