1. #1 Josh Hamilton suffers another very public relapse 
    Josh Hamilton suffers another very public relapse

The worst part about Josh Hamiltonís relapse is that he didnít care. The most famous addict in sports does not go to a bar in the town where he is best known without full knowledge that his exploits will become public in a matter of hours. That it took three full days for Hamiltonís latest relapse to go viral Ė and that incriminating pictures have yet to surface Ė is something of a miracle.

What we know at the moment, from the Dallas Morning News report and confirmation by the Texas Rangers, is that Hamilton drank Monday. The particulars Ė was he drunk, why did he drink and was he really letting women at the bar grab his butt? Ė donít matter as much as the act. With addicts they never do. Sobriety is black and white. Black won Monday.

That it prevailed in such open fashion is what should scare Hamiltonís family as well as the Rangers. Only Hamilton understands why he would choose such a setting to drink, whether it was the empowerment of doing what he wants, where he wants, when he wants, or if it was his way of asking for help as he floats about without an accountability partner. After his spectacular fall off the wagon in January 2009 that included pictures of him licking whipped cream off a womanís fake breasts, Hamilton knew the second alcohol touched his lips he was vulnerable not only to its seductive ways but to the gossipy culture that is making secrets an anachronism.

Hamilton does care, of course, even if for the tiniest sliver of time it eluded him. He has said so to me and to his friends and to millions of people who see him for what addicts can achieve, and thereís no reason not to believe him. A temporary slip in that does not represent weakness. It is a symptom of addictionís vagaries. And those moments are the toughest for every addict to confront. Some reach that nadir and stop. Others fight and claw and battle and cave. Hamilton has seen some lows. Falling asleep in a ditch whacked out on crack. Being immortalized in a Deadspin photo montage. The devil in him is strong.

Unfortunate.

Fabulous Poster
    So is he more or less of an alcoholic than the players of the Babe Ruth era?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    So is he more or less of an alcoholic than the players of the Babe Ruth era?
    Why would that matter?
    He has a problem, so did they. Does he get any more humanity from you if he was letting gays grab his butt?:mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Crap. I like Hamilton and what he does for our team.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Why would that matter?
    He has a problem, so did they. Does he get any more humanity from you if he was letting gays grab his butt?:mad:
    You are obsessed.

You are obsessed.
    Why? Your question was completely out of line. I'm trying to ascertain why. Presumably you have a reason for your tasteless and unfeeling remark, am I wrong or were you merely sleep posting?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Unfortunate.
    Did he have an "angel" or a "watcher" that would hang out with him but the guy had to give it up? I guess I could interwebz search it, just lazy.

If so, he must be battling some wicked demons. Good luck dude.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Why? Your question was completely out of line. I'm trying to ascertain why. Presumably you have a reason for your tasteless and unfeeling remark, am I wrong or were you merely sleep posting?
    I don't believe in the disease concept of alcoholism. Alcoholism is willful misconduct. In the Babe Ruth era, baseball players weren't what we would call athletes today- they were players. They smoked, drank, and stayed up too late at night. Despite that, it was the heyday of baseball.

I don't believe in the disease concept of alcoholism. Alcoholism is willful misconduct. In the Babe Ruth era, baseball players weren't what we would call athletes today- they were players. They smoked, drank, and stayed up too late at night. Despite that, it was the heyday of baseball.
    I don't believe it is a disease either. I looked and cannot find any post where somebody suggested it was a disease. The man has a problem and that is a shame. He needs help regardless his selected weakness.
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand