1. #1 If Komen ever gets their shit together and gets back into the work of supporting wom 
    link

MrScorpio (48,859 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

View profile

If Komen ever gets their shit together and gets back into the work of supporting women's health...

Last edited Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:15 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    Without all the politics and anti-choice promotion, is there a possibility that they could find their way back into your good graces?

Or is there no way that will ever happen?
    "Supporting women's health" = abortion

CurtEastPoint (2,787 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    1. Nope. Not with those NASTY right-wint people in charge.

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:14 PM

Star Member gateley (55,979 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    2. No. They showed their true colors. I could never trust them again. nt

Response to MrScorpio (Original post)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:15 PM

Star Member CaliforniaPeggy (93,442 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    3. No, not just no way, but no fucking way, my dear MrScopio!

Trust is easily lost, and almost impossible to reclaim.

Star Member truebrit71 (14,950 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    4. No and no.

View profile
    Done and dusted. It took them less than 24 hours to destroy their brand and their mission...

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:15 PM

Star Member justiceischeap (6,685 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    5. I think too much has been exposed about them

View profile
    for them to get back into most people's good graces. They spend more money on administration costs than the actual charity they are supposed to be supporting. They defunded actual breast cancer research because it's stem cell based. Basically, they gave people the right to rip the mask off of them and they are finding lots of things supporters didn't know about.

I've never supported them and if I were tempted, this mess would surely get me back on track.

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:16 PM

Star Member crazylikafox (1,255 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    6. No way. With all the publicity I've found out far too much I don't like about this "charity".

View profile
    I'll find another group that actually spends the money they collect on what they advertise.

Star Member yardwork (30,298 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    7. No. It turns out that they never did a lot of good work. It was mostly a sham.

View profile
    A small percentage of their donations goes to cancer research, and since November they've dropped all funding for any cancer research that involves stem cells, so they don't seem to be very interested in finding a cure.

They pay their executives very high salaries, and have generally very high administrative overhead.

Their founder, Nancy Brinker, turns out to be an extremist right-wing bushco supporter who hires other extremist right-wingers into leadership positions.

They encourage companies to "pinkwash" products and then lobby to protect those companies from environmental regulation, allowing them to continue polluting the environment which probably causes cancer.

They claim to offer cash assistance to women in need but nobody ever answers their phones.

They lie. A lot.

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:18 PM

Star Member madmom (8,602 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    8. Nope..they showed their underbelly and it ain't purty.

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:19 PM

Star Member mrs_p (1,778 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    9. Probably not

View profile
    I just can't bring myself to support a RW organization. But, who knows, maybe they will have a "come to Jesus" moment and become a real non-profit that actually supports finding a cause and cure for breast cancer. I guess, never say never, and all that.

Star Member w8liftinglady (21,951 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    10. the fact that they are cutting funding for stem cell research is MUCH more profound ($ 12 million)

View profile
    http://jezebel.com/5881996/komen-hal...wouldnt-notice

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:25 PM

Star Member Lars39 (17,197 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    11. I wonder if they didn't cut PP funds so that would go under the radar.

randome (2,739 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    12. Komen needs to clean up their act.

View profile
    But donations save lives so, yeah, we should not try to destroy them, just make them scared they ever tried this.

Star Member Happyhippychick (4,539 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    13. Absolutely not. I'm grateful they exposed their agenda, they can get $ from wingnuts.

View profile
    Oh yeah, that's not gonna happen. Oh well, guess they're fucked!

Star Member JustAnotherGen (3,432 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    14. MrScorpio

View profile
    No way Jose . . . It's the deep dive - Karen Handel's lobbying work and her proactive disenfranchisement of minority voters in Georgia -

I judge organizations sometimes and well - people - by the company they keep. Ron Paul kept company with shady characters/organizations and I have no respect for him. In this case an organization kept company with a shady character and I now have no respect for the organization.

Star Member Spazito (23,950 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    15. Nope...

View profile
    From everything that is coming to light about SGK, the rightwing politics and their support for branding over actual research funding, the original decision to defund PP was just the tip of the iceberg, imo.

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:52 PM

Star Member Laurian (38 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    16. No

Simply no

SomethingFishy (910 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    17. Komen is done.

View profile
    What you will see is a name change. The name Komen is now ruined. I would say they would shut down but right wingers love those 6 figure paychecks they get from leeching off decent people.

In 6 months they will have changed the name. Watch and see.

Their mission was the raise funding for breast cancer research and to help the indigent get mammograms. NOT TO SUBSIDIZE ABORTION, DUmmy.

BTW...we have to see how this plays out. Komen said that PP can still APPLY for funding....not that they will necessarily receive it after 2012. I will hold out on any judgement until I see how Komen moves forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    NOT TO SUBSIDIZE ABORTION, DUmmy.
    They, along with everyone else that is in an uproar over this, do not seem to grasp that.

I do not have any problem being very direct and eloquent while calling liberalism exactly what it is. I cannot understand why it is a problem for so many others.

Planned Parenthood exists to murder black babies. That was plainly stated from it's beginnings. The American fascists racists leftists liberals (democrats) hate people of the negro race.

The American Republican Party was formed to stop the liberal fascist racist Democrat Party, the Party of the Ku Klux Klan, from denying the black Americans the equality they deserved in this nation of "freedom".

The Susan G. Komen Foundation would be very wise to run as far away and as fast as possible from the evil and disgusting Planned Parenthood baby killing industry. I can't imagine why they are tempted to crawl back in bed with such an evil and racist scheme.

All I know is that both organizations made a ton of money in donations last week.