Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Vigilante Justice On The Rise In Detroit 

Wild West Motown: Vigilante justice on the rise in Detroit as 'justifiable homicides' jump 79% after police budget is slashed

• 34 self-defence killings in Michigan city last year
    • 2,200% above U.S. average as police cuts get worse
    • Response times average 24 minutes for priority calls
    • Precincts and district HQs closed to public after 4pm
    Vigilante justice is rising in one of America’s most violent cities as residents in crime-ridden neighbourhoods take matters into their own hands. >>>

Residents are resorting to self-defence as police response times lag to 24 minutes for priority calls on average, Mara Gay wrote in The Daily. That compares to an average of ten minutes in comparable cities across the rest of the country.

Detroit resident Julia Brown, 73, told the website the last time she called local police, authorities didn't respond until the following day. Now she carries a handgun to defend herself against criminals she says are terrorising her neighbourhood.

'We got to have a little Old West up here in Detroit. That’s what it’s gonna take,' she said. 'I don’t intend to be one of their victims, I’m planning on taking one out.'

Kevin Early said he found himself in a similar situation in November when he was held up at gunpoint in Rosedale Park. He recalled neighbours in the middle-class neighbourhood emerging from the street with shotguns as his attackers fled on foot. It was 25 minutes before an officer arrived to the scene. But like many police departments, Detroit's force is under severe financial constraints. >>>

A spokesman for Detroit Police told The Daily they are working on lowering response times, and said citizens do have a right to defend themselves.

------------------------------------------------------

Apart from the Daily Mails apparent confusion between what is self defense and what is vigilantism it does seem like its safe to say that if you havent armed up yet, now might not be a bad time. And notice how we have to go to a Brit paper to be informed about this like so many other things. Just where is the American news media? Are they still 'getting a thrill up their legs' from the marxist in chief?
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Residents are resorting to self-defence as police response times lag to 24 minutes for priority calls on average, Mara Gay wrote in The Daily. That compares to an average of ten minutes in comparable cities across the rest of the country.
    Robocop, pick up the white courtesy phone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post

Residents are resorting to self-defence
    Self defense has always been legal, I hardly call that vigilante justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Self defense has always been legal, I hardly call that vigilante justice.
    Yep, seems the paper was written by an anti-gun head whose using scare words to make people trying to defend themselves look bad.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Life imitates art. Robocop!

Knew it was British when I saw, defence...

Too bad they don't do the same.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGrouse View Post
    Life imitates art. Robocop!
    They need robotic attack bunnies!

Revelation 15:1
    And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.

There was a pretty big occurrence last summer of volunteer patrols in the Detroit neighborhoods that had some serial rapists active. They actually caught some of them, and the right people at that.

Not so far from where I live there is basically a war zone that is in a constant state of violence. Police show up with AR-15's, armored cars and helicopters and sometimes the gangs have enough firepower to fight them; but they typically are more focused on other gangs rather than the cops. It would be hard for the CPD to really do anything more to equip themselves than they already have, maybe a few precision airstrikes but yea... I dont think that would go over well.

The real issue is people in those neighborhoods, and even people like me in the areas that border them, are totally helpless against the gangs. They've stripped the communities right not just to fight back but even to defend ourselves. Urban crime has spiraled out of control, and though vigilantism is a suicide mission against most of these gangs, giving the gangs a total monopoly on the use of force over the community has clearly failed.
    The two most corrosive effects on urban America: Gun control and gentrification.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    There was a pretty big occurrence last summer of volunteer patrols in the Detroit neighborhoods that had some serial rapists active. They actually caught some of them, and the right people at that.
    I remember that.

Most of my coworkers who continue to reside within the city limits have both firearms and home alarms. For what it's worth, the Governor is taking security in state offices seriously-he put bulletproof glass up in all of our offices and we received training from the MSP on how to use mace, although we are still waiting for the actual mace to show up. We used to be allowed to carry mace/pepper spray when I was a new worker, but both Governors Engler and Granholm had issues with that.