Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1 Santorum shakes up GOP race with three-for-three finish 
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,980


    The Republican presidential contest is a two-man race no more.

    Rick Santorum proved that the 2012 primary election still has a few surprises left, after he went three for three in Tuesday’s contests and once again shook up the GOP nomination battle.

    Santorum, in perhaps the biggest upset of the night, was declared the winner of the Colorado caucuses -- a contest Mitt Romney had been leading in recent polls and won in the 2008 race. The former Pennsylvania senator also won the Minnesota caucuses and the non-binding Missouri GOP primary.

    The candidates head next into Maine, and later in the month to Arizona and Michigan. Santorum’s performance stokes questions about Romney’s appeal in some corners of the Republican Party but also puts the pressure on Newt Gingrich – as he challenges Santorum’s claim to be the “conservative” alternative to Romney.

    Santorum, though, said Tuesday night in Missouri that he wasn’t looking to be the alternative to Romney.
    "I stand here to be the conservative alternative to Barack Obama,” Santorum said.

    The three-for-three finish marked the best night of Santorum's campaign since Iowa, in which he was belatedly declared the winner.

    Santorum said at his victory rally in Missouri that the night's results showed conservatism is "alive and well."

    Santorum used the victories to build his case that the Republicans need a nominee who can demonstrate "sharp contrasts" with President Obama -- something he claims the other candidates cannot do.

    Santorum went after Romney, accusing him of holding the "same positions" as the president on several issues, but largely glossed over the other GOP candidates in his remarks.


    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1lmuoC2mv
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago (west side)
    Posts
    28
    At the risk of sounding like a Paulista, which I'm not, I'm a little disappointed in Minnesota. There was a real shot Ron Paul won that state. I'd like to see ole Ron get some more political energy to continue his campaign and work more of his platforms into the right's narrative. Shame he'd be such a lousy president with some of his nuttiness, but I guess if he compromised he wouldn't be as compelling to his followers.

    A very real potential consequence of Santorums sweep is him and Gingrich cannibalizing each other's "anyone but Romney!" votes and paving Mitt's way to the nomination.
    The two most corrosive effects on urban America: Gun control and gentrification.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyChiefs View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a Paulista, which I'm not, I'm a little disappointed in Minnesota. There was a real shot Ron Paul won that state. I'd like to see ole Ron get some more political energy to continue his campaign and work more of his platforms into the right's narrative. Shame he'd be such a lousy president with some of his nuttiness, but I guess if he compromised he wouldn't be as compelling to his followers.

    A very real potential consequence of Santorums sweep is him and Gingrich cannibalizing each other's "anyone but Romney!" votes and paving Mitt's way to the nomination.
    either that, or the TEA Party and other Conservatives will jump behind Santorum and leave Newt in the dust. If they do and Santorum picks up some decent delegate numbers over the next few primaries, he'll give Romney a run.

    Problem with both Newt and Santorum is the lack of money and organization. Though I can see Santorum picking up a lot of funding after last night and over the next couple of weeks. He just needs to get a bit of passion while debating and not seem so stiff.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyChiefs View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a Paulista, which I'm not, I'm a little disappointed in Minnesota. There was a real shot Ron Paul won that state. I'd like to see ole Ron get some more political energy to continue his campaign and work more of his platforms into the right's narrative. Shame he'd be such a lousy president with some of his nuttiness, but I guess if he compromised he wouldn't be as compelling to his followers.

    A very real potential consequence of Santorums sweep is him and Gingrich cannibalizing each other's "anyone but Romney!" votes and paving Mitt's way to the nomination.
    I'd say the bigger problem with Paul is his base. He sounds nice, but I think a lot of people get turned off from the constant conspiracy rants that come out of him. Plus, I don't think people want to fight the Civil War again.

    But I got to hand it to Santorum, this was a big win for him. He certainly blew away Gingrich, despite hardly getting any airtime and fundraising.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,769
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Janice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post

    He just needs to get a bit of passion while debating and not seem so stiff.
    I agree he could use some coaching on how to "loosen up" a bit (as defined by todays TV, movie, media, instant gratification obsessed culture). But I will definitely take a "stiff" conservative (defects and all) any day over a polished, high gloss, silver tongued dem light with nice hair. And if you think he "sounds" conservative now, wait till the general election and he moves back to the middle. Some here on this forum, will become quite ill.

    I admit Im a bit biased. I never quite finished my indoctrinate, pc, pop culture schooling demanded by most of the general public today. As an example, I voted for Steve Forbes over Bush 43 in his first election. Thats how "out of touch" I am. But, unfortunately I must agree .. "appearances" obviously do win out over substance these days .. in spades (a little pinochle lingo there).

    Dont believe it? Just look at who or what is in the White House today. Its disgusting. Makes me beg the question ... how do you pick up a turd by the clean end?

    But in the end ... anybody but 0bama will have to do.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Why are you skirting the issues? You should just come out of the closet already for your champion, O Blah Blah The Magnificent.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I agree he could use some coaching on how to "loosen up" a bit (as defined by todays TV, movie, media, instant gratification obsessed culture). But I will definitely take a "stiff" conservative (defects and all) any day over a polished, high gloss, silver tongued dem light with nice hair. And if you think he "sounds" conservative now, wait till the general election and he moves back to the middle. Some here on this forum, will become quite ill.

    I admit Im a bit biased. I never quite finished my indoctrinate, pc, pop culture schooling demanded by most of the general public today. As an example, I voted for Steve Forbes over Bush 43 in his first election. Thats how "out of touch" I am. But, unfortunately I must agree .. "appearances" obviously do win out over substance these days .. in spades (a little pinochle lingo there).

    Dont believe it? Just look at who or what is in the White House today. Its disgusting. Makes me beg the question ... how do you pick up a turd by the clean end?

    But in the end ... anybody but 0bama will have to do.
    agreed...it's less about looks for him, just more about passion in his beliefs while on stage...he says some good stuff, but it's hard to remember him when there is nothing to make him stand out.


    I was an Allan Keyes guy back then
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Liberty is more than light bulbs, fett.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •