Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama to give 10 states a pass on No Child Left Behind deadline 

WASHINGTON – President Obama is set to give 10 states a pass regarding an approaching deadline under the No Child Left Behind law, after the states struggled to meet the proficiency standards for reading and math.

The executive action will circumvent Congress, which has been stuck on how to rewrite the law. A White House official confirmed to Fox News on Thursday that the 10 states will receive "flexibility" allowing them to miss 2014 targets for student proficiency. However, those states will be required to set new targets, and implement "comprehensive" plans to reward high-performing schools, punish low-performing schools, prepare students for college and the work force and evaluate school officials.

The first 10 states to receive the waivers are Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Tennessee. The only state that applied for the flexibility and did not get it, New Mexico, is working with the administration to get approval, according to an official.

Meanwhile, 28 other states, as well as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, "have indicated their intent to seek flexibility," the official said.

No Child Left Behind requires all students to be proficient in reading and math by 2014. Obama's action strips away that fundamental requirement for those approved for flexibility, provided they offer a viable plan instead.

The president has been critical of the law, which was passed under the George W. Bush administration. In September, Obama said action was necessary because Congress failed to update the law despite widespread bipartisan agreement that it needs fixing. Republicans have charged that by granting waivers, Obama was overreaching his authority.

The executive action by Obama is one of his most prominent in an ongoing campaign to act on his own where Congress is rebuffing him. No Child Left Behind was primarily designed to help the nation's poor and minority children and was passed a decade ago with widespread bipartisan support. It has been up for renewal since 2007. But lawmakers have been stymied for years by competing priorities, disagreements over how much of a federal role there should be in schools and, in the recent Congress, partisan gridlock.

For all the cheers that states may have about the changes, the move also reflects the sobering reality that the United States is not close to the law's original goal: getting children to grade level in reading and math.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...d-left-behind/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

This may be good news. A chance to roll back a progressive POC legislation, courtesy of G-Dub. This is one of those stupid "everybody gets a trophy" things.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    This may be good news. A chance to roll back a progressive POC legislation, courtesy of G-Dub. This is one of those stupid "everybody gets a trophy" things.
    Except for the fact...as the story highlights...Obama has once again bypassed Congress...to get his way.

Whether you agree with the roll back of NCLB or not...he's pissing on the Constitution and thumbing his nose as his responsibilities where Congress is concerned.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Except for the fact...as the story highlights...Obama has once again bypassed Congress...to get his way.

Whether you agree with the roll back of NCLB or not...he's pissing on the Constitution and thumbing his nose as his responsibilities where Congress is concerned.
    But that's ok, he's doing it for our own good and one day we will worship his superior intellect and heavenly vision. That quaint little piece of paper is not worth reining in such a marvelous example of virtue and righteousness as our Dear Leader. We will all come to appreciate the courage of this, more than a man, Obama the Magnificent. We simply must trust in his superior judgement and await the results that will ultimately exonerate him and elevate him to his rightful place of honor sitting next to, yet slightly above Zeus.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    But that's ok, he's doing it for our own good and one day we will worship his superior intellect and heavenly vision. That quaint little piece of paper is not worth reining in such a marvelous example of virtue and righteousness as our Dear Leader. We will all come to appreciate the courage of this, more than a man, Obama the Magnificent. We simply must trust in his superior judgement and await the results that will ultimately exonerate him and elevate him to his rightful place of honor sitting next to, yet slightly above Zeus.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You inspired me to update my signature.;)
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

The federal governement should stay out of Education. The Department of Education should be eliminated. Ever since "No Child Left Behind" came to be, teachers were teaching less and making kids memorize enough to pass the dreaded FCATS. It was one of the biggest reasons I didn't want to send my own kid to public schools. GWB expanded governement by letting government into the classrooms and letting teachers teach less. This is a good thing. If Florida gets rid of the FCATS, I may look into our public school system again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    The federal governement should stay out of Education. The Department of Education should be eliminated. Ever since "No Child Left Behind" came to be, teachers were teaching less and making kids memorize enough to pass the dreaded FCATS. It was one of the biggest reasons I didn't want to send my own kid to public schools. GWB expanded governement by letting government into the classrooms and letting teachers teach less. This is a good thing. If Florida gets rid of the FCATS, I may look into our public school system again.
    I wouldn't count on it. I taught for a very brief time in the St Louis area. I've never seen teachers less with it than here in Florida. A neighbor is a teacher----and she can barely write. She has no concept of paragraphs, sentences, basic grammar. She writes like an idiot. That's about how she thinks, too.

Now she's subsituting in subjects that she can not comprehend. She said she's doing it for the money---no pride in work there or consideration of the kids actually learning something.

My kids went to public schools in St Louis and had an excellent education. I was a public school kid and basically coasted my freshman year in college. It was a good small university, but my high school had advanced classes and had covered my freshman year during my senior year in high school.

I don't think that's happening down here in Florida. I feel for the kids enduring the educational system here in this part of the state. Hope it's better on the east coast of Florida. I definitely am not impressed here.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

SLW, I doubt it's any better here. I think it's a state issue. The parochial school I am considering was voted the best private school in the county in 2011. I think she will get a better education from the Diocese than she would from the public school system here. When it comes to Florida education, it makes me wish I were still living in New York...but I have no intention of moving back.

Was it Clinton that had the no behind left alone program?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg