Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Can PC journalists report truthfully about Muslims? 
    It's a grisly story: A husband and wife murdering their three young daughters, ages 19, 17 and 13, by drowning them, along with their stepmother. The couple was assisted by their 21-year-old son.
    All were found guilty of first-degree murder in Ontario, Canada. They were sentenced to life in prison.

Mohammad Shafia and his wife, Tooba Yahya, immigrated to Canada from Afghanistan in 2007. Being Muslims, they believe in Shariah law, which in some cases allows so-called "honor killings" -- that is, if a family member deviates from strict Muslim teachings, other family members can execute them.

Of course, that's insane. But under the Taliban in Afghanistan and in some other parts of the world, "honor killings" are allowed.

In his eyes, Shafia's three daughters were guilty of becoming westernized, wearing nontraditional Muslim clothing and associating with the dreaded Christians. So this demented father ordered the girls killed, as well as his first wife, whom he believed was aiding them in their alleged transgressions.

Reporting on the story in America has been scant and strange. According to the Media Research Center, the initial Associated Press report made no mention of the fact that the convicted murderers are Muslim.

They were described as "Afghan." In fact, the only theology mentioned in the AP dispatch is Christianity, used while describing the boyfriend of one of the daughters.

On NBC's "Nightly News," anchor Brian Williams said this: "A verdict has been reached in a murder case that's gotten a lot of attention because it involved so-called honor killings of family members. In this case, an Afghan family living in Canada. It is a culture clash getting a lot of attention to our north."

Culture clash? Between whom? Afghans and Canadians? What is Williams talking about?

The reporter on the story, Kevin Tibbles, also avoided using the word "Muslim." He described the motivation for the violence as "a strict religious family that felt it had been disgraced."

What religion? Incredibly, the reporter didn't say.

This is no coincidence. The politically correct U.S. media are frightened by Muslim violence. They avoid the issue whenever they can.

Just think about what would happen if a Catholic father murdered his daughter for having an abortion. Would the AP and NBC News not have mentioned the religion involved? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Political correctness is dangerous because it obscures the truth. It allows certain people and groups to avoid scrutiny for destructive actions.

Today, the press in America is dominated by liberal editors who believe they are protecting "minorities" by failing to mention facts that might cast them in a negative light. Thus, honest reporting is becoming almost obsolete when certain groups are involved.

Shafia, his wife and his son are Muslim fanatics who believe they have the right to commit murder in the name of their religion. Somebody get that dispatch to the media.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...#ixzz1lcL5rVKJ
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Liberals see this as a case of domestic violence. Any Christian could have done the same thing.

They don't seem to report truthfully on any story anymore, it get's harder and harder to evaluate topics because the news is tainted.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tipsycatlover View Post
    Liberals see this as a case of domestic violence. Any Christian could have done the same thing.
    Sharia proponents spread the myth that these are domestic violence cases because it makes it easier to obscure the violent nature of Islamic law. Liberals report it that way because they are inclined to accept the statements of activists at face value, and because they are as likely as not to be activists themselves, and the satements dovetail nicely with their biases. However, the article made a valid point when it said that if a Catholic father had murdered a daughter who had had an abortion, the coverage would be wall to wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They don't seem to report truthfully on any story anymore, it get's harder and harder to evaluate topics because the news is tainted.
    QFT

This is why the internet and alternative media are so critical, and also why the left goes after them whenever they can. When Dan Rather got caught trying to slander Bush in 2004, and was taken down by bloggers, the MSM saw a future in which they couldn't get away with the same tactics, and they are at a loss as to how to respond, which is why they have become even more blatantly partisan and shrill. This is actually a good thing, as it is turning off anyone who takes even the most minimal time to look at the facts of a story. Every lie, every omission, every dishonest insinuation that gets caught costs them viewers. Our mission should be to expose them whenever we can.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The guys at the Examiner should try Google. The family's religion is all over the place.

The Link

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The guys at the Examiner should try Google. The family's religion is all over the place.

The Link
    Nice slight of hand there. Your search didn't include the word "Muslim", but honour killing. When you replace the two, the number of hits becomes much lower. For example, here's the NY Times article on the subject. Care to tell me what's missing?

Afghan Family, Led by Father Who Called Girls a Disgrace, Is Guilty of Murder
    By IAN AUSTEN
    Published: January 29, 2012

OTTAWA — It began with a puzzling and grisly discovery in 2009: a car submerged in a 19th-century canal lock with the bodies of three teenage girls and a middle-aged woman inside. On Sunday, the father, the mother and a brother of the girls were each convicted of four counts of first-degree murder.

The verdict concluded a complex, three-month trial in which prosecutors described the crimes as “honor killings.” The defendants — Mohammad Shafia, 58; Tooba Yahya, 42; and their son Hamed, 21 — and the victims belonged to a family of Afghans who had moved to Canada two years before the crime, in June 2007, under a program for affluent immigrants. Both the woman in the car, Rona Amir Mohammad, and Ms. Yahya were married to Mr. Shafia.

During the investigation of the deaths, police wiretaps recorded Mr. Shafia repeatedly expressing the view, often in graphic, vulgar language, that the girls had disgraced his family by dating and by wearing revealing clothing. Other evidence showed that at least one of the dead girls was so frightened of her father that she sought help from the police to escape the household and be placed in foster care with her sisters, without success.

Mr. Shafia’s solution, prosecutors said, was to murder three of his seven children and Ms. Amir Mohammad, and to try, improbably, to make it look like an auto accident; they presented evidence that the car in the canal, a Nissan Sentra, was pushed there using the family’s Lexus, and that someone in the household had searched the Internet for advice on how to conduct a murder.

The jury delivered its verdict after 15 hours of deliberation. Afterward, Justice Robert L. Maranger of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice raised the cultural issues surrounding the case, which, while rarely mentioned directly in court, had become a widespread topic of discussion in Canada, particularly in Quebec, where the family lives.

“It is difficult to conceive of a more despicable, more heinous, more honorless crime,” the judge told the defendants in a courtroom in Kingston, Ontario. “The apparent reason behind these cold-blooded, shameful murders was that the four completely innocent victims offended your completely twisted concept of honor, a notion of honor that is founded upon the domination and control of women.”

All three defendants said they were innocent. Ms. Yahya said in court after the verdict: “I am not a murderer and I am a mother — a mother!” Her lawyer, Andrew Crowe, said she would appeal.

Under Canadian law, first-degree murder carries a compulsory sentence of life in prison, with no chance of parole for the first 25 years.

A Parks Canada employee spotted the Sentra in the Rideau Canal when he arrived for work at a lock station near Kingston in June 2009. Inside were Zainab, Sahar and Geeti Shafia, ages 19, 17 and 13, and Ms. Amir Mohammad, 53, who entered Canada claiming to be Mr. Shafia’s cousin when in fact she was his other wife.

The family stopped in Kingston on the way back to their home in Montreal after a brief holiday trip to Niagara Falls; they bought the Sentra secondhand the day before the trip. Mr. Shafia and Ms. Yahya told police and reporters that Ms. Amir Mohammad and the girls had taken the car on a late-night joy ride organized by Zainab, who did not have a driver’s license. But the police were immediately suspicious.

Evidence presented at trial did not establish exactly how the woman and three girls died. But there were indications that the four victims were already dead when the car went into the canal.

The prosecution built part of its case on conflicting statements and missteps by the defendants — they booked accommodations for only six people in Kingston, even though the family numbered 10 before the killings — but the most compelling evidence came from police wiretaps.

“I say to myself, ‘Would they come back to life a hundred times, for you to do the same again,’ ” Mr. Shafia said about his daughters on one recording. “They violated us immensely. There can be no betrayal, no treachery, no violation more than this.”

Defense lawyers argued that the remarks were prompted by the discovery days after the deaths of a photo album showing the girls with boys, although the family displayed what appeared to be the same album to television crews shortly after the deaths.

A diary kept by Ms. Amir Mohammad, who apparently could not bear children, indicated that Ms. Yahya treated her as a servant, and described beatings by Mr. Shafia and by his son Hamed when Mr. Shafia was away on business trips. Evidence at trial suggested that he was also brutal to the girls and feared by them.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: January 31, 2012

An article on Monday about guilty verdicts in a murder trial in Canada involving a family of Afghan immigrants quoted incorrectly from a comment by the trial judge, Justice Robert L. Maranger. The judge said, “It is difficult to conceive of a more despicable, more heinous, more honorless crime.” He did not say “more despicable, more heinous, more despicable, more honorless crime.”
    Yep, the one missing thing was the religion of the family. What's really funny is the WAPost article that came up in my search:

Canadian imams issue fatwa against honor killings
    TORONTO — Muslim clerics in Canada have issued a fatwa against so-called “honor killings” a week after three members of an Afghan family in Montreal were convicted of the murders of four relatives.

The religious decree — only the third of its kind in Canada — also prohibits domestic violence and hatred of women. It was issued on Saturday (Feb. 4) on the eve of Mawlid an-Nabi, the Prophet Muhammad’s birthday.
    >SNIP<
    Soharwardy told reporters that a fatwa is “not legally binding” but it is “morally binding.” He said “a very small minority” of Muslims support honor killings, and they “need to be corrected.”
    What's funny about it is that, while it talks about the Muslim clerics issuing the Fatwa, and that a "small minority" of Muslims support honor killings, it still never mentions that the killers were Muslims. One could read the entire article and come away wondering what the Fatwa had to do with the case.
    You can read the entire article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...buQ_story.html
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Nice slight of hand there. Your search didn't include the word "Muslim", but honour killing.
    It wasn't sleight of hand. I thought that was the only way I could find the story. Imagine my surprise at all the times their religion was mentioned.

It wasn't sleight of hand. I thought that was the only way I could find the story. Imagine my surprise at all the times their religion was mentioned.
    Imagine my surprise at your feigned surprise. As I said before, it wasn't mentioned in most of the MSM pieces. The Times article was especially interesting that way.
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Imagine my surprise at your feigned surprise. As I said before, it wasn't mentioned in most of the MSM pieces. The Times article was especially interesting that way.
    I don't read the Times. I read The Economist.

BTW, think Muslim was mentioned in the NPR piece on the story?

I don't read the Times. I read The Economist.
    I posted the entire article above.

BTW, think Muslim was mentioned in the NPR piece on the story?
    You thought wrong.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/01/29/146068...honor-killings

However, the NPR interview with the CBC reporter did mention Muslims, in order to assure the reader that being Muslim had nothing to do with the honor killings.
    http://www.npr.org/2012/01/30/146099...ngs-in-canada:

MELISSA BLOCK, HOST:

It's a case that has shocked the conscience of Canada. And it ended yesterday when a jury in Ontario found three members of an Afghan family guilty of murder. The deaths have been referred to as honor killings. Yesterday, the judge described them as murders motivated by a completely twisted sense of honor; heinous, despicable, cold-blooded and shameful.

Here are the basics of the case. In June of 2009, a woman and three teenage sisters were found dead in a car, submerged in a canal. Those now convicted of their murder are the girls' father, his second wife - who is the girls' mother - and their son.

For more on the case, I'm joined by CBC Radio reporter Justin Hayward. And, Justin, at first this was thought to be a case of accidental drowning. But then, investigators started looking at the family and hearing troubling stories about the three girls - ages 19, 17 and 13 - and their situation at home. What did they hear?

JUSTIN HAYWARD: Well, of the 58 witnesses that came and spoke to the court, a number of them were there to illustrate the situation of the young women at home. There were teachers from their school, officials from youth protection here in Quebec. And if you take all of their testimony together, it paints a picture of three young women who were normal, relatively rebellious North American teenagers who were bumping up against sort of these more traditional beliefs that they should be more tightly controlled.

And the teachers were telling stories of sometimes seeing bruising on them. So, you certainly got a picture of a very controlling family, traditional family atmosphere that was at odds with what the average North American teenager wants to have as freedoms.

BLOCK: And I gather there was also physical evidence that indicated that this car didn't just fall into the canal, but that another car may have pushed it into the canal.

HAYWARD: Yeah. Police put together evidence that there was damage on the family Lexus that matched damage on a recently bought Nissan Sentra, which was the car that was found in the canal. And the police's theory that they pieced together with the damage from those two cars was that the Lexus pushed the Sentra into the canal.

BLOCK: Investigators ultimately put a wiretap in the family's minivan and got what turned out to be some damning evidence. They heard the father, Mohammad Shafia, say this about his daughters: Would they come back to life 100 times, you should do the same thing again. May the devil defecate on their graves. This is what a daughter should be. Would a daughter be such a whore?

How did the defense try to explain or account for what the father said?

HAYWARD: Yeah. That was extremely shocking evidence. And I remember being in court when they were playing it, and you could hear people audibly gasp when those translated tapes were played in court. What the defense did is they brought in an expert in Afghan culture who said that Afghans, when they're upset or grieving, will swear a lot. And this kind of swearing is not to be taken literally. For example, that quote that you just said, may the devil defecate on their graves. He said that that's no stronger than a North American saying, to hell with them, and that the father, Mohammad Shafia, was just trying to make himself feel better by blowing off steam.

BLOCK: Justin, this story has generated a lot of coverage there in Canada. Talk a bit about how it's been received by the Canadian people and this whole notion of honor killings.

HAYWARD: Yeah. It's certainly an ongoing debate. I mean, our House of Commons is just sitting again today for the first time since around Christmas. And we're expecting that this will probably come up in the House, that something will be said. But there hasn't been a lot of public forum other than radio call-in shows and the like. And you can imagine how vitriolic some people can be about this sort of thing.

Certainly, there's also a debate where cooler heads are prevailing, where they're trying to say - for example, even outside the court yesterday, there was an imam and there was a young Afghan who's a student at a nearby university to where the trial was taking place who came that day because they knew the media would be there en masse and they wanted to make sure that everyone understood that it's not all Afghans, it's not all Muslims that are like this.

BLOCK: And is that the fear, that there will be a backlash toward the Afghan-Canadian, the Muslim-Canadian community because of this?

HAYWARD: We've spoken to a number of people about that, and that's absolutely what they're concerned about. So, they're already out in the streets, so to speak, trying to make sure that that doesn't happen.

BLOCK: I've been talking with CBC Radio reporter Justin Hayward. Justin, thank you very much.

HAYWARD: My pleasure.
    Copyright © 2012 National Public Radio®.
    You were saying...?
    --Odysseus