As women (at least in the long ago times), we were taught to respect our elders, listen to what the docs say, and never, ever question. I guess I never got the message, because I have this odd notion that we're clients/customers of the docs. If they don't do their job properly, we can always hire another one.

I've talked to other women who get terrified if I even ask a question or suggest that perhaps they should question their physician about xyz, just fill in the blanks. Personally, I respect them for going into their line of work, but with medical economics, there just isn't all that much time to chat with the patients and perhaps catch a clue of what is really going on.

Today I was told that I just "fell between the cracks" on a medical issue. I'm sick of falling between the cracks. It's like this double edged sword---if you say too much or question too much they might get upset and not take care of you properly. If you never question, you could get really, really hurt.

To the women of CU, do you think it's better to accept what the docs say without question (admittedly they've gone through all the education and surely should know best) or do you question and at least attempt to participate in your own care?