1. #1 Do you question your doctor? 
    As women (at least in the long ago times), we were taught to respect our elders, listen to what the docs say, and never, ever question. I guess I never got the message, because I have this odd notion that we're clients/customers of the docs. If they don't do their job properly, we can always hire another one.

I've talked to other women who get terrified if I even ask a question or suggest that perhaps they should question their physician about xyz, just fill in the blanks. Personally, I respect them for going into their line of work, but with medical economics, there just isn't all that much time to chat with the patients and perhaps catch a clue of what is really going on.

Today I was told that I just "fell between the cracks" on a medical issue. I'm sick of falling between the cracks. It's like this double edged sword---if you say too much or question too much they might get upset and not take care of you properly. If you never question, you could get really, really hurt.

To the women of CU, do you think it's better to accept what the docs say without question (admittedly they've gone through all the education and surely should know best) or do you question and at least attempt to participate in your own care?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Power CUer
    I definitely question. I'm not confrontational, but I let them know I've been reading, and if there's something I don't understand about my own case, I ask.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I had a doctor who repeatedly tried to get me to agree to a prescription for the pill when I was about 25. First, he asked me what method of contraception I was using, and I told him celibacy. He asked me specifically if I wanted to go on "oral contraceptives" and I asked him "Why would I want to do that if I'm not having sex?". He didn't answer.

After my exam, he asked me again, after he lectured me about smoking. I said "Isn't it really risky for a smoker to use the pill?". He didn't answer, so I further asked him if the drug company gave him a kickback for every prescription he wrote. I guess that's why he wouldn't write me a scrip for painkillers, because my main reason for even going to the doctor that day was because I had gallstones.

He hasn't been my doctor ever since. I wasn't real thrilled with his nursing staff, either, as they left me in the examination room for an hour. I took my feet out of the stirrups after 15 minutes, and when the bitches finally came back, they had the audacity to ask me why I had done so.

The only good thing he did was refer me to the nicest surgeon in the network.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    As women (at least in the long ago times), we were taught to respect our elders, listen to what the docs say, and never, ever question. I guess I never got the message, because I have this odd notion that we're clients/customers of the docs. If they don't do their job properly, we can always hire another one.

I've talked to other women who get terrified if I even ask a question or suggest that perhaps they should question their physician about xyz, just fill in the blanks. Personally, I respect them for going into their line of work, but with medical economics, there just isn't all that much time to chat with the patients and perhaps catch a clue of what is really going on.

Today I was told that I just "fell between the cracks" on a medical issue. I'm sick of falling between the cracks. It's like this double edged sword---if you say too much or question too much they might get upset and not take care of you properly. If you never question, you could get really, really hurt.

To the women of CU, do you think it's better to accept what the docs say without question (admittedly they've gone through all the education and surely should know best) or do you question and at least attempt to participate in your own care?
    I'm not a woman, but I play one on TV. I keep a list of things I want to ask my doctor between visits. I take the list with me and we do a lightning round at the end of the appointment.

My nephrologist and I had major words when I was in the hospital. I was sick of doctors saying one thing and then being told by a nurse or aid that "orders" had been written that I knew nothing about. I actually walked my doctor to the nurse station to watch her write a new order after I had threatened to leave the hospital and her care. I think she respects me more for taking control of my healthcare. She doesn't tell me what to do, she presents me with options and suggests I do my research before making a decision. I respect her for that.

Yes, in a crisis situation you sometimes have to hand over the reins to the doctors, but unless you are acute or critical, then it's always wise to remain in control of your health care. Just my opinion, and BTW I am in an HMO or "managed care" and I don't run up against obstacles.

PS- I learned this technique from my mother.

I've been in the medical field for twenty years. I work closely with physicians and surgeons of all specialties, so yes, I question them all the time. Unless they're egomaniacs(and some are), they usually don't care if you do....so ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I've been in the medical field for twenty years. I work closely with physicians and surgeons of all specialties, so yes, I question them all the time. Unless they're egomaniacs(and some are), they usually don't care if you do....so ask away!
    I went to a pulmonologist yesterday for a 6 month check-up. Funny thing, he was named as the Top Doc here a few years ago. He's a wonderful doctor, very careful, actually listens and seems to care. He's one of the tops in his field and doesn't seem to have an ego.

I was worried about an interaction between two blood pressure meds. I had seen the studies in Best Pills/Worst Pills, a publication by Public Citizen. Over the years I've subscribed to this and feel that they are amazingly accurate in their warnings. I've gotten off two medications that would have been extremely harmful had I continued with them (also switched docs in each of the situations).

I had brought the study to my internist and he laughed it off, said he was right and not them. Funny thing, decided to ask the pulmonologist. He immediately told me that there was an interaction between those drugs that could cause kidney damage, exactly what the publication had said. I could tell he was uneasy, as he didn't want to contradict my internist, but he had my best interests in mind.

Now I have decisions to make. He told me that just one of the drugs should be used, but in a higher dose. I don't want to cause friction between the docs, but definitely need my meds changed. I'm very concerned.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

GO CARDS

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I went to a pulmonologist yesterday for a 6 month check-up. Funny thing, he was named as the Top Doc here a few years ago. He's a wonderful doctor, very careful, actually listens and seems to care. He's one of the tops in his field and doesn't seem to have an ego.

I was worried about an interaction between two blood pressure meds. I had seen the studies in Best Pills/Worst Pills, a publication by Public Citizen. Over the years I've subscribed to this and feel that they are amazingly accurate in their warnings. I've gotten off two medications that would have been extremely harmful had I continued with them (also switched docs in each of the situations).

I had brought the study to my internist and he laughed it off, said he was right and not them. Funny thing, decided to ask the pulmonologist. He immediately told me that there was an interaction between those drugs that could cause kidney damage, exactly what the publication had said. I could tell he was uneasy, as he didn't want to contradict my internist, but he had my best interests in mind.

Now I have decisions to make. He told me that just one of the drugs should be used, but in a higher dose. I don't want to cause friction between the docs, but definitely need my meds changed. I'm very concerned.
    Your internist is an idiot then, I would switch to one that actually cares and does the homework on the meds.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Your internist is an idiot then, I would switch to one that actually cares and does the homework on the meds.
    I don't think he's accustomed to patients doing their homework. He's one of those "I'm the doctor" kind of guys.

"

GO CARDS

I don't think he's accustomed to patients doing their homework. He's one of those "I'm the doctor" kind of guys.
    In my years of dealing with doctors, I find the BEST ones are the nicest, sweetest, down to Earth type of people. The grouchy, egotistical ones are usually the most insecure.
    Now there are exceptions...but generally that's my opinion. Then you have the normally nice ones who take on positions of power, like Director of Surgery, or Director or XYZ...and sometimes the stress of the management position makes them assholes.
    A wise friend of mine once said..there are MD's who graduate with A's and MD's who graduate with D's. The assholes are usually the latter.