Thread: My Cat is sick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 My Cat is sick 
    They say cat owners don't take their pets to the Vets as much as dog owners. I must be the exception.

I think my two cats have changed roles. The older, resident cat, was the dominant one when I brought my kitty home. I think the roles have reversed...I don't know if this is a reason, but my older cat is not himself. He has lost considerable weight...I can feel his spinal bones. He was always a fat cat...he's not anymore. He is only about 2 years old. I quarantined him yesterday to the bathroom and gave him his own litter box and canned food and water. He didn't touch any of it. He's lethargic, he moans and never moves from his spot. Very unlike him.

So I made an appt. with the vet and taking him tomorrow. I have no idea what could be wrong.:(

Hawkgirl ...

I am by no means a cat expert, but ... have had several cats in my lifetime.

Some, much like humans, have anger and jealousy issues, and will show it in different ways.

Am glad that you are taking him to the vet first, you can't lose by doing this.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth ... don't isolate the 2 year old, he is the one that seems to need attention the most from you at the moment.

~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 02-09-2012 at 09:04 PM.

I had a cat that stopped eating. Stopped drinking water. Stopped going to the bathroom. She got very dehydrated. I knew something was wrong after she missed a couple of meals because I figure cats have relatively tiny stomachs, so they must eat regularly. She would just sit by me doing nothing. I took her to the vet. Turned out she had some kind of kidney failure. So ... I lost her. She was only about 6 years old.

I felt so bad because there was nothing I could do. I certainly hope yours is not suffering a similar fate.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Hope your cat is alright when she goes to the vet. I know nothing about cats, so can only wish you well.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Well it doesn't look like anything serious. He has an upper respiratory infection. So the vet is keeping him overnight and going to give him IV fluids and a shot of antibiotics. He is going to do a blood test to make sure there are no organ systemic issues. I get those results in the morning. He had an xray and it didn't show any masses or lesions. He was also tested for FIV and feline leukemia and they both came out negative as well.

I go pick him tomorrow and hopefully the blood test is negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Well it doesn't look like anything serious. He has an upper respiratory infection. So the vet is keeping him overnight and going to give him IV fluids and a shot of antibiotics. He is going to do a blood test to make sure there are no organ systemic issues. I get those results in the morning. He had an xray and it didn't show any masses or lesions. He was also tested for FIV and feline leukemia and they both came out negative as well.

I go pick him tomorrow and hopefully the blood test is negative.
    Good, the respiratory part really had me worried.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    He'll probably claw you good for all your concern...Kats are ebil.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

My daughter's cat had a similar problem. The vet said it was allergic to fleas. We changed it's pest treatment and it is doing fine. I hope yous will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    He'll probably claw you good for all your concern...Kats are ebil.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!:D
    He better not, I haven't seen the vet bill yet! I may just leave him there....:eek:

:D

We finally lost our Puddy after a long battle with Diabetes. I never knew cats could get it. He went from a 15 pounder to a bone thin skinbag within days. Monitoring blood sugar for a cat is difficult. He needed injections daily. I didn't know what to look for and felt terrible for his suffering when I finally had him diagnosed. The first thing I noticed was he drank tons of water and peed like a horse. I took his litter box out to clean it and it was extremely heavy. When I told my neighbors all this, they suggested diabetes.

I hope yours doesn't have the same problem.:(
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand