Thread: Pushback on Obama's potential European command nominee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Pushback on Obama's potential European command nominee 

The White House is considering nominating a retired general with little recent combat field experience to be the new commander of NATO and U.S. military operations in Europe, a senior administration official has told CNN. The official has direct knowledge of internal administration deliberations on the nomination.

Several officials emphasized that no final decision has been made by President Barack Obama but also confirmed that retired Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute, currently a top White House aide, is a leading candidate.

Lute, who retired from the military in 2010, coordinates Afghanistan and Pakistan affairs at the White House, a job he also performed while on active duty for both Presidents Obama and George W. Bush. In his White House role, Lute has often clashed with Pentagon and military officials over war policy, including the troop surge in Afghanistan.

If nominated and confirmed by the Senate, he would serve as the head of the U.S. European Command, and as the military head of NATO as supreme allied commander in Europe, at a sensitive time. The United States is trying to keep NATO allies committed to the war in Afghanistan. NATO also could wind up supporting any United Nations tasks in Syria.

While the move to bring back a retired general is very unusual, it is not unprecedented. During his tenure as defense secretary, Donald Rumsfeld orchestrated the return to duty of retired Army Gen. Peter Schoomaker to become chief of staff when he felt there were no suitable candidates.

The current commander in Europe, Adm. James Stavridis, was previously commander of U.S. Southern Command in Miami. He is scheduled to retire this summer.

"This is a head scratcher," the senior administration official said of a potential Lute nomination. Several civilian and military officials made similar remarks to CNN but none would allow their names to be used because they were speaking ahead of the actual confirmation. "There is a sense inside the Pentagon that there are highly qualified, currently serving four-star officers with combat experience who would be very strong candidates."

A senior U.S. military officer with extensive combat experience in commanding troops also told CNN, "No matter how you color it, this means the president believes there is no currently serving military officer who can do the job. "The officer expressed further concern saying he believes many in the military will view this as a political decision by the White House to put a now-civilian political operative into a military job overseeing NATO involvement in Afghanistan, offering NATO "best political advice rather than best military advice."

He said, "This is politics a bridge too far."

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...mmand-nominee/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Gee, what a shocker, the Obumble admin screwing up again.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Gee, what a shocker, the Obumble admin screwing up again.
    At this point it's looking like he's doing this stuff to us on purpose.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

At this point, I know he's doing this stuff on purpose!

Remember how he promised to "transform" America?
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Is there more to this than the article states? Is Lute someone who is disliked by military personnel?

Because I don't have military experience, I don't know all the ins and outs of nominations like this, nor do I know what the implications are for the rank and file. On paper, yes, to me it sounds like someone who does not have combat experience is probably not the best choice for a NATO command post. But there also might be reasons why Lute is right for the job, also, like familiarity with the other members or making it a temporary/transitional posting until some other candidate with combat experience can be released from his or her current assignment to take over the position.

I just want to be clear that those opposed to the appointment aren't against it solely because Obama is the one making it.

On the up side, complaining to the media before the appointment is made may stir up enough controversy to ensure that someone else is picked for the job.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Is there more to this than the article states? Is Lute someone who is disliked by military personnel?

Because I don't have military experience, I don't know all the ins and outs of nominations like this, nor do I know what the implications are for the rank and file. On paper, yes, to me it sounds like someone who does not have combat experience is probably not the best choice for a NATO command post. But there also might be reasons why Lute is right for the job, also, like familiarity with the other members or making it a temporary/transitional posting until some other candidate with combat experience can be released from his or her current assignment to take over the position.

I just want to be clear that those opposed to the appointment aren't against it solely because Obama is the one making it.

On the up side, complaining to the media before the appointment is made may stir up enough controversy to ensure that someone else is picked for the job.
    sounds like he's a political hack, AKA a paper pusher desk-jockey with no real command experience being put into the position as a reward for w/e crap he's done for the administration.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    sounds like he's a political hack, AKA a paper pusher desk-jockey with no real command experience being put into the position as a reward for w/e crap he's done for the administration.
    According to Wiki:

Following attendance at the British Army Staff College, he returned to the Second Cavalry as operations officer, serving both at the squadron and regimental levels. In 1990-91 he deployed and fought with the Regiment in Operation Desert Storm, and later served on the staff of the Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
    [edit] Advancement

Lute commanded 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Fort Hood, Texas from 1992-94. He then served on the Joint Staff in the Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy, J-5, and held a War College Fellowship at the Atlantic Council in Washington, D.C.
    Lt. Gen Lute and Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Middle East Mark Kimmitt conduct a press briefing, February 9, 2007.

From 1998-2000 he commanded the Second Cavalry Regiment, part of XVIII Airborne Corps, at Fort Polk, Louisiana. In 2001, he was appointed Brigadier General.[3] He served next as the executive assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for 14 months before joining the 1st Infantry Division in Schweinfurt, Germany, as the Assistant Division Commander (Support). He commanded Multi-national Brigade East in Kosovo for 6 months in 2002 before being assigned to United States European Command in January 2003 as the Deputy Director of Operations.

In June 2004, Lute began more than two years as Director of Operations (J-3) at United States Central Command during which he oversaw combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as other operations in the Middle East, Central Asia, and the Horn of Africa. He was appointed to the rank of Major General in 2004,[4] and to the rank of Lieutenant General in 2006.[5] He assumed duties as Director of Operations, the Joint Staff, in September 2006.
    [edit] National security

On June 28, 2007, the Senate confirmed Lute to serve as the Deputy National Security Advisor. He remained in the position after his retirement from active duty in 2010. [6]

I like this bit.

On August 10, 2007, Lute stated that the United States should "consider" reinstating the military draft to relieve the "stressed" volunteer service from multiple tours of duty.[7] This was immediately followed by a comment that it would be a major policy shift and that he did not see a current need for a draft.[8]
    I agree.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    According to Wiki:

Following attendance at the British Army Staff College, he returned to the Second Cavalry as operations officer, serving both at the squadron and regimental levels. In 1990-91 he deployed and fought with the Regiment in Operation Desert Storm, and later served on the staff of the Chief of Staff of the United States Army.
    [edit] Advancement

Lute commanded 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry at Fort Hood, Texas from 1992-94. He then served on the Joint Staff in the Directorate for Strategic Plans and Policy, J-5, and held a War College Fellowship at the Atlantic Council in Washington, D.C.
    Lt. Gen Lute and Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Middle East Mark Kimmitt conduct a press briefing, February 9, 2007.

From 1998-2000 he commanded the Second Cavalry Regiment, part of XVIII Airborne Corps, at Fort Polk, Louisiana. In 2001, he was appointed Brigadier General.[3] He served next as the executive assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for 14 months before joining the 1st Infantry Division in Schweinfurt, Germany, as the Assistant Division Commander (Support). He commanded Multi-national Brigade East in Kosovo for 6 months in 2002 before being assigned to United States European Command in January 2003 as the Deputy Director of Operations.

In June 2004, Lute began more than two years as Director of Operations (J-3) at United States Central Command during which he oversaw combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as other operations in the Middle East, Central Asia, and the Horn of Africa. He was appointed to the rank of Major General in 2004,[4] and to the rank of Lieutenant General in 2006.[5] He assumed duties as Director of Operations, the Joint Staff, in September 2006.
    [edit] National security

On June 28, 2007, the Senate confirmed Lute to serve as the Deputy National Security Advisor. He remained in the position after his retirement from active duty in 2010. [6]

I like this bit.

On August 10, 2007, Lute stated that the United States should "consider" reinstating the military draft to relieve the "stressed" volunteer service from multiple tours of duty.[7] This was immediately followed by a comment that it would be a major policy shift and that he did not see a current need for a draft.[8]
    I agree.
    reread my post. I said no COMBAT experience...and your post from wiki pretty much proves it, along with him being a Desk-jockey
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    reread my post. I said no COMBAT experience...and your post from wiki pretty much proves it, along with him being a Desk-jockey
    I would have to look into it further but I am pretty sure the 2nd Cav saw combat in the first Gulf War. Wiki used the word "fought" but it may be that he didn't although it is pretty rude to say someone didn't fight in a war in which he was deployed.