Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Navy names ship after Gabrielle Giffords 

Navy names ship after Gabrielle Giffords

In a teary-eyed ceremony Friday, the U.S. Navy honored the former congresswoman from Arizona by adding her name to its latest littoral combat ship, USS Gabrielle Giffords.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, his voice cracking, proudly made the announcement in front of a large crowd of Navy officials in the Pentagon courtyard. Friends, family and colleagues of Giffords were also in attendance, including her husband, Mark Kelly, and Roxanna Green, mother of 9-year-old Christina-Taylor Green, who was one of six killed in the same tragic shooting incident that left Giffords badly wounded in January 2011. Mabus announced that Roxanna will be the ship’s “sponsor” and that her initials will be welded into the keel.

-------------------------------------------

WTF! What is this now? McHale's Navy? Do these people have absolutely no shame? MUST they politicize every damn thing they come into contact with? Whats next? The USS Barnie Frank? Words -- fail me.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I'm sure obama and his ilk would prefer to name the ship the USS Useful Victim.

Never miss a chance to demean the military.
    Last edited by Janice; 02-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.

I didn't find this demeaning at all. Granted, I've been off since word of this came out, but I haven't heard anyone else voicing outrage. None of my friends in the Navy have said a word about it.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I didn't find this demeaning at all. Granted, I've been off since word of this came out, but I haven't heard anyone else voicing outrage. None of my friends in the Navy have said a word about it.
    What the hell did Gabby Giffords do for the Navy or for the Military?

The naming of a ship is SUPPOSED to be reserved for Navy or Marine Corps heroes MoH recipients or someone that made a great contribution to the USN if a persons name is used.

I'm sorry she got shot...I'm glad she made a recovery...but this is just dumb.

What's next? An Air Force C-17 named "The Spirit of William J. Clinton"? The Alinsky Class Frigate?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    What the hell did Gabby Giffords do for the Navy or for the Military?

The naming of a ship is SUPPOSED to be reserved for Navy or Marine Corps heroes MoH recipients or someone that made a great contribution to the USN if a persons name is used.

I'm sorry she got shot...I'm glad she made a recovery...but this is just dumb.

What's next? An Air Force C-17 named "The Spirit of William J. Clinton"? The Alinsky Class Frigate?
    Actually, the LCS's have been named after cities up till now, this one was expected to be the USS Phoenix.

And what has she done for the military? As a Congresswoman, she lobbied quite a bit for funding for military projects like the F-35, as well as a worked on a lot of other things to aid Davis-Monthan AFB. She's also a national hero and symbol of perserverance, as well as a military spouse.

This was undoubtedly a political play to capitalize on the positive energy her name draws right now, but voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Actually, the LCS's have been named after cities up till now, this one was expected to be the USS Phoenix.
    Still doesn't change the point I was making.

And what has she done for the military? As a Congresswoman, she lobbied quite a bit for funding for military projects like the F-35, as well as a worked on a lot of other things to aid Davis-Monthan AFB. She's also a national hero and symbol of perserverance, as well as a military spouse.
    And NONE of that makes her deserving of having her name on a ship. How many other congress critters do the same thing every day when it comes to lobbying for money for the military? Are we to start putting THEIR names on ships and aircraft too?

How about the LCS USS John Murtha?

Maybe CVN 80 the USS John F. Kerry?

No no no I've got it...let's name a B-1 Bomber...The Spirit of 1LT Kelly Flynn.

This was undoubtedly a political play to capitalize on the positive energy her name draws right now,
    That's all it is. Political. Before she got shot none of us outside Arizona knew who she was.

but voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.
    Of course it does.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

Ive always had the impression (depending on the type of ship) they were normally named after dead patriots (such as Navy heros) at the least, or live Presidents at most. How about naming it after Todd Beamer, the guy on the 9/11 flight who was heard to say, "Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" and fought and brought down the plane, saving perhaps the White House and their staff. The USS Todd Beamer would be a fine addition. Heck at least name it after the federal judge who died at the scene, protecting others. But this ... blatant political opportunism.

Im thinkin something like the USS Che Guevera, or the USS Lenin might better suit this lot.

There already is a USS John Murtha.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Ive always had the impression (depending on the type of ship) they were normally named after dead patriots (such as Navy heros) at the least, or live Presidents at most. How about naming it after Todd Beamer, the guy on the 9/11 flight who was heard to say, "Are you guys ready? Let's roll!" and fought and brought down the plane, saving perhaps the White House and their staff. The USS Todd Beamer would be a fine addition. Heck at least name it after the federal judge who died at the scene, protecting others. But this ... blatant political opportunism.

Im thinkin something like the USS Che Guevera, or the USS Lenin might better suit this lot.
    QFT

I agree with Tx and Janice. Her husband is more deserving of a namesake
    ship than she is. At least he was an astronought and served in the military.
    This is inappropriate. Naming a federal building after her would've been better.