Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I agree with Tx and Janice. Her husband is more deserving of a namesake
    ship than she is. At least he was an astronought and served in the military.
    This is inappropriate. Naming a federal building after her would've been better.
    I feel bad for the lady, but getting shot was not a great accomplishment, it was more like a very bad unfair break.
    She did show courage in resigning and I respect her for that, but this is just typical liberalism, they will use her as an icon for gun control.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

here take one of these

Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Am I the only one to see the irony here?

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    This was undoubtedly a political play to capitalize on the positive energy her name draws right now, but voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.
    Of course. It's the political play that drives the outrage. Otherwise, why else would this bother a person.

Did James Brady ever get a ship? I know he got the WH press room.

I am sorry all she did was take a bullet and not storming a hill or saving someones life. She is not a hero, she is a victum and I cant understand why they would name a ship after her.

Not saying she isnt working hard to recover but a hero she aint.

voicing outrage over this seems pretty childish to me.
    Of course you are above any of us!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I feel bad for the lady, but getting shot was not a great accomplishment, it was more like a very bad unfair break.
    She did show courage in resigning and I respect her for that, but this is just typical liberalism, they will use her as an icon for gun control.
    I can see it now...The Brady/Giffords Gun Safety Act of 2013.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    I didn't find this demeaning at all. Granted, I've been off since word of this came out, but I haven't heard anyone else voicing outrage. None of my friends in the Navy have said a word about it.

I realize that the message doesn't get to the honored person if a policy of not naming things after living people were to be adopted, but even so, I have a problem with naming ships or any other public possession after a living person. Unless of course, that living person personally paid for the public possession, like renaming Pinellas General Hospital the Blueblood Memorial Medical center.... and even then I should think that a donor would be sufficiently reticent to wish that a public fixture continue with its better known name.

Fairfax County Public Schools instituted a policy years ago of not naming buildings after people. Smart move, because in places where that is not the case each new building becomes a political battle ground for those insisting it be named for their race, culture, or hero. Of course, Fairfax did this years after naming everything after Confederate generals. LOL!

I really like the names the British give their ships. I like Intrepid, and Dauntless, and Bugger Argentina.

So ditch these memorials to presidents and other politicians, even admirals and the like, and get us some butch names like Avenger and Invincible.

I'm OK with coastal state names as well.

I didn't find this demeaning at all. Granted, I've been off since word of this came out, but I haven't heard anyone else voicing outrage. None of my friends in the Navy have said a word about it.
    Im sorry but this is BULLSHIT. We don't name our naval vessels after victims of crime. We name our naval vessels after navy and marine corp heroes who accomplished valorous acts. Of course you throw in the occasional President in naming a ship but you don't throw in a fucking congresswoman who was out promising more federal cash to her district?

WTF?!?!?!?! Did she help fund the naval port of Lake Havasu?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Im sorry but this is BULLSHIT. We don't name our naval vessels after victims of crime. We name our naval vessels after navy and marine corp heroes who accomplished valorous acts. Of course you throw in the occasional President in naming a ship but you don't throw in a fucking congresswoman who was out promising more federal cash to her district?

WTF?!?!?!?! Did she help fund the naval port of Lake Havasu?
    Carl Vinson (November 18, 1883 – June 1, 1981) was a United States Representative from Georgia. He was a Democrat and the first person to serve for more than 50 years in the United States House of Representatives. He was known as "The Father of the Two-Ocean Navy".

BTW. Vinson had no children, so according to some of the greater intellectual lights found on this board, his life was without purpose or value.