Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Different types of tests. It's easier to prove intoxication with a test than to prove that a person definitely died of an overdose. Plus, for DUI cases they usually use a breathalyzer, which registers the results quicklu,
    I think they deliberately delay the test results so the public will lose interest in something which isn't really any of our business to start with.

The family certainly wants quick results because the lawyers to sue the doctors and pharmacies are already liining up.

Not only do the examiners have to examine, but they have to be careful how the results are presented.

just what we need. another Michael Jackson fiasco
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    just what we need. another Michael Jackson fiasco
    Wait.....

BRUNO MARS

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    One can come to terms with one's demons, however; if one fails to understand the basics of ethanol, pharmacology, and hydrodynamics, you end up dead.
    My mom worked as a nurse-she always told us mixing any type of medication with alcohol is a bad plan. Even OTC meds. The Karen Quinlin case was a big story when I was a teen. She had 2 drinks, but had taken prescription meds (I'm thinking Valium, but it could have been barbituates).

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My mom worked as a nurse-she always told us mixing any type of medication with alcohol is a bad plan. Even OTC meds. The Karen Quinlin case was a big story when I was a teen. She had 2 drinks, but had taken prescription meds (I'm thinking Valium, but it could have been barbituates).
    http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headlin...mo_code=E2B0-1

Whitney Houston Tragedy: Medications that Should Never Be Mixed with Alcohol
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:13 PM
    By Charlotte Libov

The death of Whitney Houston from an apparent drug and alcohol interaction was shocking to her fans, but Ozzie Delgado, the pharmacy director of Cleveland Clinic Florida, says it’s a tragedy he has seen played out many times.

“The problem is that, when people drink, they think they have a tolerance level. But that tolerance level can vary on a given day, depending on what you’ve eaten, for example, so you really don’t know what your threshold is,” Delgado tells Newsmax Health. Combining certain medications with drinking is “like playing Russian roulette,” he warns.

Houston was found dead in her Beverly Hills hotel room on Saturday. Although the results of the toxicology report on Houston could take weeks, reports say the singer was found dead in her bathtub after drinking while also taking Xanax. According to Delgado, Xanax (alprazolam), a common anti-anxiety drug, is particularly dangerous when combined with alcohol.

“Xanax belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines, all which have a side effect called temporary amnesia. So now you have temporary amnesia and you’re compounding it with alcohol,” he notes. “As a result, you can lose track of the amount of alcohol you are drinking, and you lose consciousness.”

“It’s a snowball effect,” he says. “The drug slows your respiratory rate and, when you add alcohol, it slows your respiratory rate even more. You stop breathing at a normal rate, you stop oxygenating your body, and then your brain doesn’t get enough oxygen, and it starts to snowball."

Houston had struggled with drug addiction for years before her death.
    Xanax isn’t the only drug that can get you into trouble, says Keith Veltri, who is clinical pharmacy manager at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx, N.Y.
    “There are a lot of medications that, specifically when mixed with alcohol, can depress the respiratory system and cause drowsiness. People don’t realize that alcohol can intensify the effect,” Veltri tells Newsmax Health.

He says he believes such drugs are over-prescribed, especially anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax and Valium. “Generally, Valium or Xanax for insomnia should only be taken for three weeks, or anxiety for four months. A lot of patients are on them forever, and they take them routinely, so they tend to forget about them if they are drinking,” he says.

But it isn’t only the anti-anxiety drugs (which are also prescribed for epilepsy) that can be dangerous when used with alcohol. Similar problems can also arise with prescription antidepressants such as Celexa, Prozac, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin, which is also prescribed for smoking cessation. Drugs used to fight insomnia, whether prescription or over-the-counter, also can be deadly when combined with alcohol. In addition, anti-psychotics such as Amplify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Haldol, and Thorazine should never be taken with alcohol. Patients should avoid drinking while taking painkillers such as oxycontin, morphine, and codeine, he says.

It isn’t only prescription drugs that can be dangerous. Delgado says that care should also be taken if you’re using a cough preparation that contains dextromethorphan, as many common over-the-counter cough syrups do. “People should be concerned with any of these medications that have ‘DM’ in the name,” says Delgado.
    When it comes to a lethal interaction with alcohol, most people don’t realize that “it can take only one drug to do this,” he says. “This is a common problem and many people have died. It’s just magnified when it happens to a Hollywood star.”

snip
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Yeah, sounds like an accident, but one brought around by stupidity.

I can believe that she was well on the way to beating her demons. It's a shame that it had to end in such a way.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Dear world, I am sorry to offend or upset anyone who enjoys this sort of thing, but I really don't care if Whitney Houston died. Of course, I can understand the sorrow of her family, but as a loss to society I can think of literally thousands of people who added more to the quality of life of America than she did. She had a lot going for her and she kept making really stupid choices. It happens.

And I also wish they would stop memorializing her with Dolly Parton's song. It just not right to varnish I Will Always Love You as the Whitney Houston Song - pick one of her own hits.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    And I also wish they would stop memorializing her with Dolly Parton's song. It just not right to varnish I Will Always Love You as the Whitney Houston Song - pick one of her own hits.
    Dolly Parton did a completely different reading of the song, too - sad, wistful. One reviewer described Whitney's interpretation as "screaming bloody fidelity." :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I think people need to learn from this...If you've ever taken a prescription medication and had a beer, this could happen to you. I hardly ever drink anymore. Once in a blue moon, I'll have a beer. I got a bottle of Ketel One vodka at a Christmas grab bag and it's hardly been touched. I am also on high blood pressure medication and on a beta blocker for palpitations due to an overactive thyroid. I will still have a beer every once in a while. I notice my heart doesn't like it...so I've virtually eliminated that as well. It's hard to not be able to indulge whenever I want...but life has really changed for me since going on this medication. I have to remind myself not to drink. I'm going to an all-inclusive Caribbean resort in April so it will be tough to not indulge in all the cutesy umbrella drinks. I may have to alternate with the "virgin" drinks:(

This really can happen to anyone. We get overdoses in the ER all the time, most are habitual street drug users, some abuse prescription drugs, and some are just people who had a bad drug/alcohol interaction.