1. #1 "The high-water mark of the American Empire was...." Pretend you're a historian... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Yeah, DU is good at "Pretend".

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
    raccoon

"The high-water mark of the American Empire was...." Pretend you're a historian and fill in the

blank.

My answer: "July 20, 1969, when Apollo 11 astronauts landed on the moon."

Morons.
    May the FORCE be with you!

They got July 20th right, just 6 years too early. THAT was the high water mark.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Fabulous Poster
    Bok_Tukalo
    5. February 14, 2012

Exact time subject to change in infinitely small increments.
    Click here to purchase valentine hearts!

I am inclined to agree with Bok Tukalo on this. While we may have setbacks along the way, at any given point in time the American nation and its country evolves culturally, economically, ad technologically. Not every step proves to be an improvement, obviously losing our manufacturing jobs to economic traitors in our midst is not a good thing in and of itself, but in the long run there is a near certainty that we will adapt in ways which will keep us in the winner circle.

I think that we also go through periods of cultural awakening, speedboards of hashing out the finer points of our constitution and national principles. At the same time, we are involved with and deal with social, political, and economic upheavals in our root co-culture nations.

Now if we could simply change the name of February to something more appealing, like Springdoor. I think naming February Springdoor would give hope to the poor schlubs stuck in the snowbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Bok_Tukalo
    5. February 14, 2012

Exact time subject to change in infinitely small increments.
    Click here to purchase valentine hearts!

I am inclined to agree with Bok Tukalo on this. While we may have setbacks along the way, at any given point in time the American nation and its country evolves culturally, economically, ad technologically. Not every step proves to be an improvement, obviously losing our manufacturing jobs to economic traitors in our midst is not a good thing in and of itself, but in the long run there is a near certainty that we will adapt in ways which will keep us in the winner circle.

I think that we also go through periods of cultural awakening, speedboards of hashing out the finer points of our constitution and national principles. At the same time, we are involved with and deal with social, political, and economic upheavals in our root co-culture nations.

Now if we could simply change the name of February to something more appealing, like Springdoor. I think naming February Springdoor would give hope to the poor schlubs stuck in the snowbelt.
    Wow, you have the hots for Arroyo boy?

rm -rf obama*

Probably the week before the day that gay marriage started being taken seriously.

If you have to point to the greatest american accomplishment in my lifetime (1964-present), I'd go with the moon walk.

If you want to pick the most defining american events in modern history, I'd go with the defeat of the Nazis and the victory in WWII.

But a "high water mark" for the DUers would probably be the election of Jimmy Carter in 1976.
    Last edited by noonwitch; 02-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Excuse me but in order to be an empire, don't you have to have to have colonies in other places except your own country? If this is the case, can someone please list to me any and all foreign nations we colonize and, no, Afghanistan and Iraq don't count as we have no political control of said countries.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Excuse me but in order to be an empire, don't you have to have to have colonies in other places except your own country?
    I think you pretty much just have to call yourself an empire.

I also think by any measure we qualify as an empire. We have a huge country with many territories, dependencies, vassal states, client states, and what some people consider to be occupied territories. We don't have any "colonies" per se, but many consider our relationship with Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and possibly the Philippines to be colonial.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Excuse me but in order to be an empire, don't you have to have to have colonies in other places except your own country?
    I think our empire might be more psycholgical then anything else.
    New York/Washington is Rome, California is Egypt and the rest of the country is the lands of the Barbarians ( Fly-Over Country).

Most of the network news is done from New York, The New York Times is held as the standard for News. New York is headquarters ofthe fashion industry ( design and export), many of America's magazines are located there, as are radio networks. The majority of televsion shows have their characters upper middle class people living in New York, or California ( and from time to time, Chicago ... if they were lucky).

In the 50's and 60's TV and movie stories was set in small town America until rural purge of 69-70 when networks decided to kill off almost every show with a tree in it.

Since then those who live in Fly-Over Country have been pretried as uneducated, backwards, bigottted, closet serial killers who marry their sister and make meth in run-down trailer parks.
    Which is the same way that Romans saw everyone who lived outside the city limits of Rome.

Yes, New York/ Washington is the new Rome and you and I, my friends are the American Barbarians that they must slap down and control everyday. After all, they are the Enlightened, and we are the poor dumb bastards they have to put up with
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 02-14-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.