1. #1 Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School 
    Dohn Community High School, incentive program, Principal Ramone Davenport, Visa gift cards

CINCINNATI, Ohio (CBS Cleveland) — A Cincinnati high school is paying its students to come to school.

The Dohn Community High School has launched a $40,000 incentive program to get students to come to class.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, students will get Visa gift cards for showing up everyday for school, being on time for class and not getting into trouble. Seniors would get $25 while underclassmen would get $10.

The school would also put $5 into a savings account for the student that earns a gift card.

Despite taking criticism for the program, Dohn Principal Ramone Davenport brushes it aside.

“People will say you’re rewarding kids for something they should already be doing anyway,” Davenport told the Enquirer. “But they’re not doing it. We’ve tried everything else.”

Dohn students have come around to the idea, excited about being rewarded for coming to school.

“I’m very excited to get the money,” 16-year-old student Arneqka Lester told the paper. “It makes me want to come to school on time, not that I don’t. But some students don’t have the money and this will help them. It’s a good idea.”

The school is trying out this new idea after the Ohio Department of Education designated the school an “academic emergency” on its report card. About 14 percent of students graduated from Dohn during the 2010-2011 school year.
    http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/0...ome-to-school/
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

They are failing these already failing kids even more. They are doing them no favors. Tragic.

When it comes to this, you just have to throw in the towel. Start over. This is worse than being out of ideas.

Did anyone else follow the link to the report card?
    97.9% Black non-Hispanic
    83% Economically disadvantaged
    0 out of 12 State Indicators met
    Performance Index: 56.6 out of 120

11th Grade Graduation Tests:
    Reading 46.2%
    Mathematics 40.7%
    Writing 46.2%
    Science 22.2%
    Social Studies 32.1%

They couldn't pay me any amount of money to send my kid to that school.

I can't really fault the school for trying. If a culture doesn't instill or value traits such as showing up to class, being on time, etc... then all you're left with is desperate ideas such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    I can't really fault the school for trying. If a culture doesn't instill or value traits such as showing up to class, being on time, etc... then all you're left with is desperate ideas such as this.
    Agreed. In the report is the qualifications of the teaching staff. They are more qualified, according to the report, than the average school in Ohio. The problem would be within the environment surrounding the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Agreed. In the report is the qualifications of the teaching staff. They are more qualified, according to the report, than the average school in Ohio. The problem would be within the environment surrounding the school.
    The problem is parents, in a lot of areas, including Detroit. Not that there aren't problems with teachers, school administrators, money and politicians, but at the bottom of it all in Detroit is that there are a whole lot of kids out there whose parents don't care about their educations. They don't go to conferences, don't attend school functions in which their child sings or plays sports, they don't check their children's schoolwork, they just don't care enough to follow up on anything.

But embarrass their precious baby for misbehavior, or suspend him for being a thug, and those same parents will show up to the school with a lawyer and the Channel 4 news team.