Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Have you registered for a party against your wishes? 
    Registering for the Michigan Primary, and apparently their doing a closed primary this year, so I have to register as a Republican. I've always registered as an independant before because while I consider myself conservative, I do not consider myself a Republican.

I wonder if I'm gonna end up getting calls asking me for money now.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Registering for the Michigan Primary, and apparently their doing a closed primary this year, so I have to register as a Republican. I've always registered as an independant before because while I consider myself conservative, I do not consider myself a Republican.

really? when did they do that? we've got a bunch of stuff on the ballot around here for the primary day
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    really? when did they do that? we've got a bunch of stuff on the ballot around here for the primary day
    The registration form asked me what political party I was in, so I did a quick search to see if they were open or closed. Apparently back in August the GOP decided to make it a closed election. Doesn't suprise me given what happened in the Governer primary in 2010.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

The registration form asked me what political party I was in, so I did a quick search to see if they were open or closed. Apparently back in August the GOP decided to make it a closed election. Doesn't suprise me given what happened in the Governer primary in 2010.
    bah, Hoekstra is a douche, wouldn't have voted for him anyway, hell I wont vote for him for senate. I guess i'll have to go register /ugh
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

I changed my affiliation a couple of years ago to independent so I could vote in the Republican primaries. I had no choice. There was a convicted felon running for sheriff. Not making this up. Anyway, I've kept it that way. More than likely, I'll be voting as R again this year because Obama has no running mate and my local government is red beyond red. The Democrats don't get noticed around here, so it's best just to vote for the Republican I want. It's about like why some people vote Democrat or Republican instead of a third party. They just don't think that a third party is a viable option. That's what I usually think about voting Democrat on a local level. We know they won't win. In my mind, May is the local election.

No, but you're gonna get called for jury duty.

rm -rf obama*

Power CUer
    No, thank heaven. We don't register by party in Virginia, and I hope we never do.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

That really isn't against your wishes, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    No, but you're gonna get called for jury duty.
    I've lived in MI for almost 10 years...never been summoned :/

In Michigan, you have to declare a party preference when you register to vote. Once you've done so, you can still vote in the other party's primary, as long as you don't vote in both parties' primaries. That's why the dems have caucus's in years like 2000, where Gore was pretty much a shoo-in, and it freed dem voters to go mess with the GOP primary results, which is why McCain won the 2000 Michigan primary.

At least that's how it used to be.