Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 These Catholic Bishops make me FURIOUS 
    link

Star Member HockeyMom (7,426 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

These Catholic Bishops make me FURIOUS

Last edited Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:23 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    I parted company with the Church at 15 years old. So why do I, and especially my daughters, have to be FORCED to live under THEIR rules? YOUR religous rights END where MINE begin. What can't they understand about this? They have no right to tell me, my daughter, or anyone else who doesn't share their beliefs, how they must live their lives. I, and other women, including my daughter, will have as many children as SHE and her husband decides, NOT CATHOLIC RELIGION. If she wants to prevent children from being conceived and uses BC, she has THAT RIGHT in a country where there is separation of church and state. No Church, Government, or Politician has the right to tell her and her husband how many, or IF ANY, children to have.

My older daughter is a lesbian who is engaged to marry in NY. YOUR church doesn't have to marry her, BUT you do not have the right to tell her she cannot marry. She doesn't belong to YOUR RELIGION and will have a CIVIL Marriage CONTRACT, which is just as valid a marriage as any straight couple who doesn't marry in a church.

If you believe in their faith, that is your business, but it is EVERYBODY'S business when they try to impose their beliefs on ALL PEOPLE.
    So Hockeymom..........the Catholic Church is FORCING you to work for them?

First of all....the Catholic Church is NOT imposing their beliefs on EVERYONE else.....they just don't want to be forced to support something that is against their beliefs that they have about the sanctity of life.

It is you HOCKEYMOM that wants to impose YOUR BELIEFS one everyone, including the Catholic Church.
    Star Member gratuitous (47,476 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    3. IF, and that's IF, they believe what they're saying

The Bishops have no choice but to be forceful advocates for their position, as does anyone who believes they're 100% in the right.

The mystifying thing to me is why so many people sign onto the Bishops' framing of this issue. I suppose I can understand other Catholics, but popular media outlets aren't Catholic (I don't think), and yet, they present the Bishops' argument as if it were Holy Writ, not to be questioned, instead of just one position (and a minority position at that) out of many in the arena of ideas.

My beef is with the talking chuckleheads who can't figure this out, aided and abetted by cynical political types taking advantage of the situation to pretend that there's some First Amendment violation going on.
    we can do it (3,676 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    6. Catholic Bishops and Funduhmentalist Bigots Make Me Sick

they need to keep their shit to themselves..they have the freedom to have their kooky ideas, we should have the freedom from it.
    Star Member Aerows (6,702 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    8. They and the GOP

have crapped in their proverbial mess kit over this issue and don't realize it yet. The fact that women take it so that they don't get pregnant and therefore can't have abortions, has exposed them as not being anywhere near concerned about "pro-life". The fact that they don't want birth control for women whom have health issues for which birth control can prevent pain, complications or surgery reveals that they don't care about women's health.

What it has revealed is that they don't care about anything other than placing women under the thumb of men, and do not care about medical privacy, medical care, or patient/doctor confidentiality unless it's for men. If it's for men, then everyone needs to shut up and let men run things and tend to their own medical affairs.

I don't think either group realizes the enormity of what their message has turned out to be, and it has soured many women on both religion and the GOP.

I am not a fan of Catholicism period. But I've got their backs 100% on this issue.

DUmmies got themselves a big issue with trying to see why there is outrage over something. They gotta stop it with this "Religion says it's bad, so it MUST BE GOOD!" bullshit.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    ...they just don't want to be forced to support something that is against their beliefs that they have about the sanctity of life.
    I'm going to re-quote this.

Hockeymom has no grasp of the issue.

I'll just turn this comment around.

Hockey Mom said: "YOUR religous rights END where MINE begin. What can't they understand about this?"

Well Mom, your religious rights end where their's begin. What can't YOU understand about that?

Their hospitals, their charities, their schools, et al. Why should they surrender their beliefs to please you? If you work for them, abide by their beliefs or find another job. If you choose to go to one of their hospitals, accept the rules and regulations of that hospital, or go to another. It's simple.

If you want to send your kid to a Catholic School, there are rules pertaining to their religion that you'll have to accept, or just find another school.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

It seems more like the Moonbats believe their need for entitlements some how override the Bill Of Rights.
    Free birth control more important then the 1st Amendment.

No one here is being denied the use of birth control, what is happening is people are being forced to go against their own religous beliefs so someone else doesn't have to pay for it.

I've seen Left-Wing forums and blogs that have suggested the Catholic Bishops should be thrown in prison because they've spoken out against Catholic businesses, Universities, and hospitals being forced to provide free birth control for their employees.

It is indeed a sad, sad day in America when someone suggest that people should be imprisoned for freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Moonbats respect civil liberties ... until they get in the way of something they want, then its out the window they go along with anyone who told them ' no '.

The Dark Storm is here kids, heed my advice below.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

they need to keep their shit to themselves..they have the freedom to have their kooky ideas, we should have the freedom from it.
    Funny one of the DUmmies says this considering that they believe their kooky ideas should be sacrosanct.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I'm fine with the compromise of exempting Catholic schools and church schools and allowing insurance to pay for things. What I'm not fine with is the bishops saying they won't compromise, like they get a say so in it. This isn't a theocracy.

What they really want is for birth control to be illegal. There's no chance of that happening, but the fact that they feel it should be is repulsive and NO that doesn't represent the Catholic Church. Most Catholics take birth control.

So Lanie....do you really think that the insurance companies are going to give birth control for FREE?

If you think so you're wrong. SOMEONE will pay for it. It will simply be built into the contracts that they make with the companies/organizations they insure. So the Catholic Church WILL be paying for the birth control.

Just because Obama claims that they will not be paying for it doesn't make it so.

And just because "most Catholics" take birth control doesn't mean that the Church needs to change and cover it when their position has been the same for hundreds of years.

The Catholic Church forms their opinions and beliefs based on the Bible........NOT what people decide what they WANT to do based on what society rationalizes and justifies as being OK to do.

This ISN'T even about birth control.........it's about the Government telling the Church that they need to cover BC. It's the government sticking their nose in where they legally don't belong.

Only leftists who are applauding this because it fits with their abortion and birth control religion are saying that this is about birth control and "controlling a woman's body".
    Last edited by Carol; 02-15-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I'm fine with the compromise of exempting Catholic schools and church schools and allowing insurance to pay for things. What I'm not fine with is the bishops saying they won't compromise, like they get a say so in it. This isn't a theocracy.

What they really want is for birth control to be illegal. There's no chance of that happening, but the fact that they feel it should be is repulsive and NO that doesn't represent the Catholic Church. Most Catholics take birth control.
    You should not be. The real "compromise" is the Constitution. O Blah Blah the Magnificent doesn't have the right or authority to dictate these laws from his Constitutionally restricted perch. He is supposed to know this as he is a Constitutional Law Professor you know?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    So Lanie....do you really think that the insurance companies are going to give birth control for FREE?

If you think so you're wrong. SOMEONE will pay for it. It will simply be built into the contracts that they make with the companies/organizations they insure. So the Catholic Church WILL be paying for the birth control.

Just because Obama claims that they will not be paying for it doesn't make it so.

And just because "most Catholics" take birth control doesn't mean that the Church needs to change and cover it when their position has been the same for hundreds of years.

The Catholic Church forms their opinions and beliefs based on the Bible........NOT what people decide what they WANT to do based on what society rationalizes and justifies as being OK to do.

This ISN'T even about birth control.........it's about the Government telling the Church that they need to cover BC. It's the government sticking their nose in where they legally don't belong.

Only leftists who are applauding this because it fits with their abortion and birth control religion are saying that this is about birth control and "controlling a woman's body".
    This is how it will happen, it'll be like some medicaid plans in Michigan, which purchases their coverage for medicaid recipients from private sector insurance companies. Some plans don't cover psychotropic medications for people with psychiatric conditions. So medicaid purchases prescription coverage from a second company.

They will do the same thing with the birth control coverage, so that the Catholic Church or whatever other group objects can opt out of paying for something that they find so offensive. The issue at that point would be who is the broker for the prescription coverage, the employer, employee or the government? My guess is some enterprising businessman will offer people prescription coverage for contraception at such a low price that the employee will be able to cover it. The pill is not very expensive, compared to a lot of other medications. There are also sometimes legitimate reasons for it to be prescribed beyond contraception, having to do with icky female functions that no one here really wants to read about.