Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not that I doubt you, but do you have a link or something to back it up?
    It was talked about at length when the bill was passed, Islam was also given a pass.
    http://counterjihadreport.com/2012/0...rom-obamacare/
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    They aren't asking for control over government affairs, just their own. How don't you get that? Using your logic, the government could ban going to church on Sundays, and protesting that would trying to have say-so over government affairs. The government came and stepped on their toes, not the other way around. The fact that you put Obama's authority ahead of the Constitution is frightening. The Constitution trumps the desires of whoever happens to be holding office. Objecting to someone ignoring the Constitution is not having say-so over how the country is run. That say-so was written over 200 years ago, and they are just pointing it out.

And while we are at it, where does the government derive the authority to tell anyone they have to cover anything?
    Nobody is saying you can't go to church. They're simply saying that if your group is not religious affiliated, then it still pays the taxes. Just like Quakers still had to pay taxes for war, Catholics still have to pay taxes for birth control. You can't make everybody happy all of the time. We're already exempting hospitals and schools with a religious affiliation. I'm sure any other organization or doctor's office will also qualify if they're a Catholic one.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Nice of you to say this considering you believe that the government should have a say in Catholic affairs.
    It's about taxes, not Catholic affairs.

Where were you righties when Catholics were objecting to the death penalty on religious grounds? Where were you all when Quakers objected to war on religious grounds. None of you all took up for their supposed right not to pay taxes on what they opposed. Don't even tell me that people here give a crap about the government making people pay taxes on what they don't want. They're all for it when the ones with a religious objection are liberal leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Whoa. Take a breath there from all the Catholic hate. We're used to it enough but slow down there.

Do you know that the Amish and the Christian Scientists (folks that don't believe in medicine like you and I do) have been exempt from the Barry healthcare rules? That means they don't have to provide healthcare to anyone that works for them, is associated with them, etc...

You did know this, right? Maybe Catholics aren't special and don't run the country but it looks like the Amish and the CS do. ;)

Okay, like I said, I don't have a problem with religious schools and businesses being exempt. I do have a problem with secular businesses being exempt because oh my goodness a Catholic might work there or have to pay the taxes.

And I don't appreciate being told I hate Catholics when I am one. While the Bishops may be trying to enforce the rules, the truth the MAJORITY of Catholics don't even agree with them. Most Catholics take birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

Where were you righties when Catholics were objecting to the death penalty on religious grounds? Where were you all when Quakers objected to war on religious grounds. None of you all took up for their supposed right not to pay taxes on what they opposed. Don't even tell me that people here give a crap about the government making people pay taxes on what they don't want. They're all for it when the ones with a religious objection are liberal leaning.
    So some religious groups should be exempted on politically advantages grounds and others not, sometimes I don't understand what in the hell makes your mind work.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It was talked about at length when the bill was passed, Islam was also given a pass.
    http://counterjihadreport.com/2012/0...rom-obamacare/
    And yet I bet that Muslims will still have to pay the taxes going toward this system.

Like I said, you all are acting like the Catholics are special and they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    So some religious groups should be exempted on politically advantages grounds and others not, sometimes I don't understand what in the hell makes your mind work.
    No. My point is that we're all paying for what we oppose in life. Instead of crying out persecution, we get over ourselves.

Your side is the side wanting special rights for your religious groups AGAIN. No surprise. The conservative side always want special rights for certain groups that nobody else has.

No. My point is that we're all paying for what we oppose in life. Instead of crying out persecution, we get over ourselves.

Your side is the side wanting special rights for your religious groups AGAIN. No surprise. The conservative side always want special rights for certain groups that nobody else has.
    The whole health care law is bad law, all it is good for is to beat political opponents over the head with.
    If this is deemed constitutional, all I have to say is the constitution is dead at that point. Enjoy your new country, you made your bed you can sleep in it!

OK smarty. This "righty" was raised Catholic. I left the church in the early 90's for various reasons but their objection to the death penalty is just that, a position. It has no teeth. The Catholic church does not make policy in the U.S. government. They never did. Of the 44 presidents, only 1 was Catholic(JFK). The rest are protestant. So your strawman fails here. And fails miserably. As for the Quakers, really? This is the best you got? What are there, 5 Quakers? But if the government can impose this on a church run hospital, what's next? Mandating that the Catholic church should officiate gay marriages?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I'm fine with the compromise of exempting Catholic schools and church schools and allowing insurance to pay for things. What I'm not fine with is the bishops saying they won't compromise, like they get a say so in it. This isn't a theocracy.

What they really want is for birth control to be illegal. There's no chance of that happening, but the fact that they feel it should be is repulsive and NO that doesn't represent the Catholic Church. Most Catholics take birth control.
    First, the law forces all businesses to provide insurance for their employees, or pay a possibly-illegal fine for not doing so. Therefore, every Christian business owner would be directly paying for a plan that covers abortifacient drugs, despite his or her opposition to paying for abortion. Would you want the government to walk into your life and order you, on penalty of an extra tax, to pay money that will go directly to the cause of killing unwanted cats? Especially if you happened to belong to a religion that forbade killing cats, and has forbidden it for centuries?

Second, the compromise orders private companies to provide a specific service without the right to charge for that service. If you happened to own a bakery, could the government legally order you to provide chocolate cookies to all children under the age of 6 that enter your store with parents that will not pay for chocolate cookies?

Despite the fact that many Catholics choose to break with church teachings in their private lives, do you really want to watch your government continuing to destroy the protections granted to religious beliefs by the Constitution? They've already destroyed the Christian right to free speech on the privately owned property of their churches. Now they want to force all Christians, not just Catholics, to directly support abortifacient drugs under penalty of government fines. What ever happened to the leftist whine, "If you don't like abortion, don't have one." It seems to have evolved into, "If you don't like abortion, you can just pay for mine anyway."
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.