Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    You really dont see a problem forcing a kid to eat food that was not approved by his/her parents?
    I'd like them to explain exactly what was "wrong" with that lunch...seems like a pretty good and healthy lunch to me.

Gotta remember this about the nazis...why did they do the things they did? Because they could.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Sometimes, the Right's Noise Machine can whip up some pretty good stuff for their daily daily dose of outrage for the terminally offended. I mean some real pearl clutchers.

This is not one of those times.
    Wow, you even capitalized Right's Noise Machine. I guess that makes it a real thing.
    While this one is pretty good (as far as absurdity), the best in recent memory remains the outrage fed to the faithful over Chinese food being served for lunch at Sidwell Friends on December 7th. That was fucking awesome.
    Trying to change the subject? Not working so well, is it?

Here is the issue: A school bureaucrat unilaterally decided that a child's lunch didn't meet his/her personal nutritional standards and imposed a cost on the parents. The bureaucrat imposed his judgment over the parents' judgment, and then commanded that they pay for it. The amount involved is not very large, but the principle is huge. What if the school didn't like the kid's lunchbox (all those nasty corporate characters and logos) or notebook (is the notebook manufacturer unionized? Green? Do they give to the right causes?)? Can they demand that the parents purchase a school-approved lunchbox with a PBS character on it instead of a corporate one (My daughter will go berserk if they try to replace Scooby Doo with Nina Totenberg)? Can a school decide that a child's wardrobe isn't up to school standards and purchase a new one and bill the parents (Just think, Che t-shirts for everyone!)? Where does the school get the authority to decide how I will spend my money?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Trying to change the subject?
    Feel free to consume, Odie, while I admire the merchants' wares.

Fabulous Poster
    While this one is pretty good (as far as absurdity), the best in recent memory remains the outrage fed to the faithful over Chinese food being served for lunch at Sidwell Friends on December 7th. That was fucking awesome.
    You mean because the Chinese attacked Pearl Harbor? Well, that's understandable.

(And even if they served sushi it would not be the most worrisome thing fed to the bodies or minds at Sidwell Friends)

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    I'd like them to explain exactly what was "wrong" with that lunch...seems like a pretty good and healthy lunch to me.

Gotta remember this about the nazis...why did they do the things they did? Because they could.
    Turkey - old dead bird takes a long time from kill to consume, even if it's Boars Head. If it's cheap turkey, it's full of grease, gelatin, salt, and of course the decaying flesh of some kind of bird.

Cheese- No other animal eats the milk of another species. Think about it- would you snack down on a cow's titty for a direct connection? It's probably not real cheese anyway. The label of cheese slices (and I know because my mother insists on eating them) is 14 things other than milk.

Potato chips - one ounce of potato chips has 10.6 grams of fat.

The apple juice could be real or it could be some kind of juicy crap with HFCS and color added along with a mess of chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Turkey - old dead bird takes a long time from kill to consume, even if it's Boars Head. If it's cheap turkey, it's full of grease, gelatin, salt, and of course the decaying flesh of some kind of bird.

Cheese- No other animal eats the milk of another species. Think about it- would you snack down on a cow's titty for a direct connection? It's probably not real cheese anyway. The label of cheese slices (and I know because my mother insists on eating them) is 14 things other than milk.

The apple juice could be real or it could be some kind of juicy crap with HFCS and color added along with a mess of chemicals.

Ok if all of what you wrote is true what right does the school have in forcing her to eat something else? Never mind that chicken nuggets are filled with rat shit, hairs and what not.

And three chicken nuggets is a vast improvement over that.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar

So what? It IS NOT the schools job to monitor kids lunches. I wouldn't give a shit if all the kid had was jell-o, candy bars and a bag of sugar, it's still not their place to change what the parent's sent to school with them.

I grew up eating in the cafeteria at school....that shit is in no way healthier than what the mother sent to school with her daughter.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Oh looky... the Fairey Gestapo Mother has reported in
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Ok if all of what you wrote is true what right does the school have in forcing her to eat something else? Never mind that chicken nuggets are filled with rat shit, hairs and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    And three chicken nuggets is a vast improvement over that.
    You both have a point on the nuggets, my response was simply to the quality of the bag lunch. Of everything that was in the bag, the banana and the paper bag were probably the most wholesome.