Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I am a person who freaks out when gasoline crosses price thresholds. Not major freak out, just pissed off and in a bad mood for a day or so. I know it's silly to let these people do that to me, but it's how I react. When reason sets in, I realize that I use so little gasoline (about 34 gallons a month) that a hike of a dollar or two isn't going to wreck the budget. But even so, the way the speculation market is portrayed, like there are some fidgety Henny Pennys in Atlanta pretending to be in London reacting like someone with shell shock being tortured by a practical joker just doesn't inspire confidence in the system.
    A lot of those who could went through the process of trimming their use of gas as a matter of lifestyle a couple of years ago. While it can be a grumbler, I don't think the impact is as big on an individual level as it could be. When it jumps to $4 from $2 quickly, it hurts because we are living in $2 land. Now, we don't.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    A lot of those who could went through the process of trimming their use of gas as a matter of lifestyle a couple of years ago. While it can be a grumbler, I don't think the impact is as big on an individual level as it could be. When it jumps to $4 from $2 quickly, it hurts because we are living in $2 land. Now, we don't.
    The problem from a "little guy" standpoint is that I have trimmed almost everything almost as much as it can possibly be trimmed. I have obligations and responsibilities which require that I drive. Back in Bush II when the price of gasoline started climbing again, I got rid of my big truck and got a little truck, I got a scooter as well. I now use very little heat in my house and conserve on AC as well.

Like a lot of people I have already cut back, trimmed, and changed my usage in reaction to the rising prices of the last decade. So what do these people do? They raise the prices. It's most obvious with the power company. This entire state went on an austerity move a couple of years ago when the power companies got a rate increase. And now they are back for another increase, because we're using less power and because they will never be satisfied until they get our last dime.

I don't really pay too much attention to the prices these days. I have my favorite QT and I get my gas on Monday like I always do. I don't shop around corner to corner looking for the cheapest gas. Like AD said, I budget for a $3 gallon of gas, give or take and it's fine. I can still afford the internet even after I fill up. :D

One thing I have noticed though--and maybe this goes on all the time and I'm just now catching up--is that the price goes up about a dime in the span of about 8 hours. The last two weeks this has happened. I get my gas in the morning for one price and when I drive home I see that it's gone up 10 cents. Is that new or am I just slow? Wait...don't answer that. :p
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

The problem from a "little guy" standpoint is that I have trimmed almost everything almost as much as it can possibly be trimmed. I have obligations and responsibilities which require that I drive. Back in Bush II when the price of gasoline started climbing again, I got rid of my big truck and got a little truck, I got a scooter as well. I now use very little heat in my house and conserve on AC as well.

Like a lot of people I have already cut back, trimmed, and changed my usage in reaction to the rising prices of the last decade. So what do these people do? They raise the prices. It's most obvious with the power company. This entire state went on an austerity move a couple of years ago when the power companies got a rate increase. And now they are back for another increase, because we're using less power and because they will never be satisfied until they get our last dime.
    I was really only talking about the gasoline prices. I understand there are downstream issues involved.

Right now, I may fill up once a month (usually less) and once every two months for the wife's car. A 20% increase will not really do more than make me grumble. I have made the changes in lifestyle to accommodate high gasoline prices at the tank.

Food, clothing, fuel, distribution costs in general, are more nebulous and harder to pin down.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I don't really pay too much attention to the prices these days. I have my favorite QT and I get my gas on Monday like I always do. I don't shop around corner to corner looking for the cheapest gas. Like AD said, I budget for a $3 gallon of gas, give or take and it's fine. I can still afford the internet even after I fill up. :D

One thing I have noticed though--and maybe this goes on all the time and I'm just now catching up--is that the price goes up about a dime in the span of about 8 hours. The last two weeks this has happened. I get my gas in the morning for one price and when I drive home I see that it's gone up 10 cents. Is that new or am I just slow? Wait...don't answer that. :p
    We have the opposite issue around here (I also have the favorite QT) recently. You drive home and see the price in the evening and the next morning it is higher.

The price of gasoline today is the same (about $3.57 for Shell regular) as it was in October of 2007. I remember this because that is when I bought my new pick-up and the salesman at Clearwater Toyota complained that it cost him $56 to fill up the gas tank at Walmart.
    Right so if this is a way to make Obama look weak, then what was the reason when Bush was in office? And if they can jack up the prices when a Dem is in office, then why would they really care who is in office? Same price either way.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    Right so if this is a way to make Obama look weak, then what was the reason when Bush was in office? And if they can jack up the prices when a Dem is in office, then why would they really care who is in office? Same price either way.
    It's a nice little story but I don't buy it. Either the salesman lied about the cost or he was the DUmbest salesman on earth in 2007. Gas has gone up under Pharaoh, there is no getting around that fact even for a liberal.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Should've gone with squirrel power. :D
    I use guinea pigs:
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    No, I opted for an electrically fueled computer. The old gas fired one was much too smelly and messy for home use.

How long do the batteries last before you need to replace them?

:D

Funny how Nova mentions prices under Bush in 2007 but completely blows off the fact that gas was about $1.80 when Obama took office so gas prices went back down while Bush was still in office...but that makes no never mind to the left.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.