Thread: Naming of Navy ships returns to tradition

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Is it always about "appearances" with the left?
    Did you bother to see what the post was in response to, or are you simple blind to the personal remarks made here about Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama? These people make nasty personal remarks about womens' bodies. You police them, they don't listen to me.

Glad they nevergot to presidents

The U.S.S. Shitforbrains would be embarrasing

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    The latest was named after one of their goddesses, Giffords. If they continue down this naming convention, we'll soon have a USS Barney Frank.
    There was already a Pacific Princess. :D

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Everyone on that list was either a founder, member of congress, First Lady or distinguished veteran, and all of them were of great service to the United States.
    Murtha, Evers, and Chavez meet the objective standard of persons to be honored even if you and I don't particularly care for one or more of them.

Like I said, keep bitching and moaning about the ships named after people you object to politically, and we'll stop naming ships at all. We'll simply call them by their alpha-numeric designations to avoid the whining and aggravation.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKwonDo View Post
    Glad they nevergot to presidents

The U.S.S. Shitforbrains would be embarrasing
    We already have a ship named for Ronald Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    No we dont. There isn't a Navy ship named for you or anyone in your family. That's the only way we'd have a USS Shit For Brains. And if there was one it'd be a sewage barge.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Murtha, Evers, and Chavez meet the objective standard of persons to be honored even if you and I don't particularly care for one or more of them.

Like I said, keep bitching and moaning about the ships named after people you object to politically, and we'll stop naming ships at all. We'll simply call them by their alpha-numeric designations to avoid the whining and aggravation.
    Really? Just what is the objective standard that you cite? Service to the nation? Then Chavez fails spectacularly. Murtha's conduct in congress made naming a ship after him a slap in the face to the Marines that he slandered.

The aggravation comes when leftist hacks use their power to name ships after people who were diametrically opposed to everything that the service members fight for. Naming a ship after a corrupt congressman (Murtha was notorious for diverting tax dollars to his district for pointless projects) or a union hack may make liberals feel good, but that's the extent of it. Personally, I'd like to see the standard limited to Presidents, First Ladies, Flag Officers (generals or admirals), recipients of decorations for valor, or persons whose service to the United States is the equivalent thereof. Anybody who signed the Declaration of Independence, for example, or who died in the line of duty in peacetime, but wasn't eligible for a combat award, or spent their lives in service to the nation. Apply that criteria so that future idiots have less leeway to impose their fads on the services and we won't have to worry about having to serve on the USS Lady Gaga, or the USS Che Guevara.

Cheap shot. Even for you. Besides, the USS Jimmy Carter comes much closer. It's the only submarine in the fleet that is designed to launch sternly-worded diplomatic messages in lieu of missiles.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Did you bother to see what the post was in response to, or are you simple blind to the personal remarks made here about Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama? These people make nasty personal remarks about womens' bodies. You police them, they don't listen to me.
    Hmmm, The USS Hilde-beast and the USS Sasquatch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It could work.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

I guess this means the USS Bin Laden is out????
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Really? Just what is the objective standard that you cite?
    Murtha was a Congressman. Evers is considered by some to have been a martyr. Chavez is considered by some to have been a warrior for farm laborers. By "by some" I mean millions of people, just not necessarily you or I.