Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Ouch. I tend to think in terms of FMJ rounds, because that's what we use (hollow points are actually banned by the GC), but that's another issue. Everybody is taught to shoot COM, because it's the largest target and has the most vital organs. The odds of a miss increase dramatically when you try to shoot limbs, and the odds on stopping someone also drop dramatically. You can cause permanent damage, but you may not end up doing enough damage to keep them from killing someone or escaping. You don't casually shoot people to wound them, because the moment that you engage with a firearm, you are using lethal force. If the effects are less than lethal, it's usually not for want of trying.

DUmmies think that bullets are like phasers that can be set to "stun".

t is significant that the man Clinton turns to for military advice ---who argued against the tanks and APC's for the raid in Mogadishu---is the same Warren Christopher (then a high official in Jimmy Carter's National Security Council) who helped plan the disastrous raid to rescue the hostages in Iran.

At a planning session for the Tehran rescue, the man selected to lead the raid, the late Colonel Charlie Beckwith, was asked what the would do about the Iranian guards. Bechwith, a no-nonsense veteran of special operations, replied that as they came out the door they would be shot in the head---twice---to be sure they couldn't do any harm.

Warren Christopher gasped, grimaced, viscerally shocked, and asked, "Couldn't you just shoot them in the hand?"

No, he saves that for posters who get mouthy. :D
    When it comes to my department's use of force, in the end the only way we can use a firearm is to throw it at the perp. We have to take into account where the bullet might land including the possibility that it might go through a wall(the fact that we use hollow points sorta defeats this purpose but we do use rifles that use FMJ which can go through walls). The fact that they built my jail so close to a residential area means that if an inmate is escaping, we really can't shoot at him because we might miss and hit someone in the apartment complex or the development on the other side. At least we're not at bad as Trenton State which is right in the middle of the hood.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Please provide definitive proof of this. I'll wait. Not the act of an individual, but please show me which department says this is policy.
    Yeah, after you call me fuckface I should bother talking to you? Do your own homework, start by reading what I actually wrote.

Have you ever been tasered, Nova. I'm just curious, I don't know why.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Yeah, after you call me fuckface I should bother talking to you? Do your own homework, start by reading what I actually wrote.
    Translation: I made the crap up...and you caught me.

Just like the hyperbole in another thread. Oh, and Limbaugh...

Ain't that right, princess?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

DO you tase inmates for being mouthy?
    Did I miss something?

That's true, but it doesn't change the fact that there have been enough cases of police tasering that a person can reasonably conclude that the tasers are not being used as less lethal defense, they are being used a control devices and cattle prods. The police should not be tasering someone because he isn't moving fast enough to please them.
    Words mean things. Less lethal, not non-lethal. And tasers are not a defensive weapon. Their specific purpose in the world of law enforcement is to inflict a shitload of pain to bring someone into compliance. That is most assuredly a very offensive weapon.

The reason that there are more cases of police using tasers is that fewer police are beating the holy fuck out of someone with their PR-24:

which is the alternate method that police have at their disposal to bring someone into compliance.

What do you expect them to do to get someone to comply? Throw kittens at them?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

PR-24 doesn't quite work when someone is running away. Of course people like Nova would rather the cop just stand there dumbfounded as the perp runs away.

PR-24 doesn't quite work when someone is running away. Of course people like Nova would rather the cop just stand there dumbfounded as the perp runs away.
    That's what .40 S&W is for.

Gosh. Suddenly, that taser doesn't sound so bad, does it?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Please provide definitive proof of this. I'll wait. Not the act of an individual, but please show me which department says this is policy.
    Opps - I guess s/he can't.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Opps - I guess s/he can't.
    No, because his "proof" would be from something like prison-planet or some other Leftist site...

and we all KNOW how reliable those types of sites are
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot