Thread: 2,824 mpg

1. #1 2,824 mpg 

A three-wheeled, teardrop-shaped car has won Shell’s (RDSA) Eco-marathon Americas competition, a yearly contest that pits teams of students against each other in a race to build energy-efficient vehicles.

The winning group, from Université Laval in Quebec, overcame technical setbacks, including excess friction short circuits, to achieve an efficiency of 2,824 miles per gallon. To put that in perspective, the prototype could travel from New York to Los Angeles on less than a gallon of fuel. And that figure is still well below the 3,587 miles per gallon the same school achieved last year. (Université Laval has won five out of the last six Shell competitions.)

Moe
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

2. #2 Louisiana Tech's 'Diesel Dawg' takes first place at Shell Eco-marathon Americas 

Louisiana Tech University’s new eco-marathon car — “Diesel Dawg” — earned first-place honors for vehicle design and third place for best diesel fuel mileage in the Urban Concept category of the 2014 Shell Eco-marathon Americas competition held last weekend in Houston.

Here
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post

Louisiana Tech University’s new eco-marathon car — “Diesel Dawg” — earned first-place honors for vehicle design and third place for best diesel fuel mileage in the Urban Concept category of the 2014 Shell Eco-marathon Americas competition held last weekend in Houston.
    Here
    Cute. Does it come in a Cracker Jack box, or do I have to spring for the Happy Meal?