Thread: Alternative treatments for pain management

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Alternative treatments for pain management 
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/pain-m....aspx#/slide-1

Check out the alternative pain relief methods handed down over the ages, some from the time of the Greek physician Hippocrates. See which ones work and which ones to skip.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Massage and chiropractors can help but poppy juice is still #1 for severe pain.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Ditto.

Poppy Juice ??? Morphine, heroin or opium ???
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Poppy Juice ??? Morphine, heroin or opium ???
    All doctor prescribed derivatives, I aways think of Doc Adams giving Sally laudanum for her aches and pains.:D
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

All doctor prescribed derivatives, I aways think of Doc Adams giving Sally laudanum for her aches and pains.:D
    Meh, Doc has me taking Methadone for pain, also hydromorphone.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Meh, Doc has me taking Methadone for pain, also hydromorphone.
    I'm going to try to get by with lesser stuf. I have hydrocodone (vicodyn), but have gone from 6 a day after the knee replacement to now two half pills (1) a day. Some days I only take 1/2 pills a day. That stuff is vicious, have been pushing the physical therapists to come up with alternatives to ease the pain in the knee.

Going to the PT and doing the hydrotherapy has helped. At the end of the session in the pool, they have some sort of hose type thing that they run over the leg and knee, which seems to help. Now they have me going to the gym after the other workout. After pushing my poor leg to the limit trying to get it to bend, they then wrap the leg with some sort of wrap that has icy water running through, also does compression.

I told them I'm sick of the pain pills and want them to come up with the alternatives. I'm learning the squeakin wheel indeed gets the oil. :D
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    I took some Tramadol the other day for a sprained ankle, and it really got rid of the pain. It also got rid of any urge to go to sleep that night, or to go potty for the next three days. Fortunately, I keep Chinese senna tea in the house.

That drug made the back of my head numb and I had the urge to yell "I love you everybody!" from the car window*. I was really surprised my doctor gave me something that actually works, but apparently my kidney condition makes it so I can't take many kinds of drugs.

* White lightning has the same effect, but Tramadol has a much more pleasant hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I took some Tramadol the other day for a sprained ankle, and it really got rid of the pain. It also got rid of any urge to go to sleep that night, or to go potty for the next three days. Fortunately, I keep Chinese senna tea in the house.

That drug made the back of my head numb and I had the urge to yell "I love you everybody!" from the car window*. I was really surprised my doctor gave me something that actually works, but apparently my kidney condition makes it so I can't take many kinds of drugs.

* White lightning has the same effect, but Tramadol has a much more pleasant hangover.
    Tramadol works on your system in the same way morphine does, after using it awhile the side effects you mentioned go away.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I'm going to try to get by with lesser stuf. I have hydrocodone (vicodyn), but have gone from 6 a day after the knee replacement to now two half pills (1) a day. Some days I only take 1/2 pills a day. That stuff is vicious, have been pushing the physical therapists to come up with alternatives to ease the pain in the knee.

Going to the PT and doing the hydrotherapy has helped. At the end of the session in the pool, they have some sort of hose type thing that they run over the leg and knee, which seems to help. Now they have me going to the gym after the other workout. After pushing my poor leg to the limit trying to get it to bend, they then wrap the leg with some sort of wrap that has icy water running through, also does compression.

I told them I'm sick of the pain pills and want them to come up with the alternatives. I'm learning the squeakin wheel indeed gets the oil. :D
    My objection to Vicodin and its siblings (darvocet et all) is that the prescribed dosage doesn't do the trick, and the dosage required to actually kill the pain makes me sick.

I wasn't all that impressed with IV morphine to be honest. I was on a morphine pump a couple of times during a series of leg surgeries after getting one of those horrible infections in shallow water. It wasn't fun at all, and it stopped me up pretty good in addition to upsetting my stomach.

The best pain killer I have ever ever used was an epidural. That sucker works.