Thread: Pot Roast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I have a similar method but have never used cinnamon. I sear the roast in oil, onions and seasonings. My grandmother always added ketchup with the liquid and so do I. My family loves my pot roast.
    For gravy I use Louisiana Gumbo mix. Use about 1/3 of the dry mix with water. Gives the roast a fantastic taste.

Usin the slow cooker bags make cleanup a breeze....;)
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Power CUer
    I'm doing a variation today, using brisket. See my post in the day thread, "Wonky Wednesday".
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You of all people should get a good slow cooker. I have three of them!
    I have two of them and they are the greatest thing ever. I can put it on in the morning before I leave for classes and dinner is ready when my husband and I get home. If you don't think you have time to cook a good, cheap dinner for your family, you need a crock pot.
    www.klingtocash.com - my blog, helping you save more of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    So I hear. And Linda numbers is right. The planning aspect of it is not my strong suit.
    My husband and I sit down once every two weeks and put our meal plan together. It takes us about 15 minutes. Then we go grocery shopping and are set for two weeks. Planning actually saves time because you don't have to think about what's for dinner and it saves us a ton of money. You can see our last meal plan on my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The cinnamon just adds a little sweetness; it's not identifiable as a flavor. It mixes with the wine very well.
    Cinnamon also acts to tenderize the meat.

Noobs, all of you. You need a Dutch Oven. (a "12")

Dutch Oven roast:

Heat up oven on a grill over a open fire. Take 2 slices of bacon and render in the oven. Remove and eat bacon. Once you get the fire "right" you will need to maintain it for the whole process. (keep the Dutch Oven at a simmer/LOW boil)
    Take one thick cut (2") 7 bone chuck roast, dust in flour seasoned with S&P. Brown roast in oven using the bacon drippings.
    Add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup.
    2 large garlic cloves, quartered.
    1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix.
    Fill oven with water until the roast is almost covered. When it simmers, add 1-2 beef bulion cubes.
    Let simmer for 1 hour, covered.
    Add , 7-8 peeled potatos, quartered.
    Simmer 1 hour, covered
    Add celery tops, 1/2 lb quartered whole mushrooms, 1 pkg (1 lb) baby carrots and one yellow onion halved and sliced.
    Simmer another hour, yup, covered.
    Make a double batch of Bisquick dumplings (from the recipe on the box). Add dumplings (the dough (drops) should be about the size of a handball/golfball). Cook with the lid off for 20 min and then the lid on for another 20.
    Thank me later.
    There's no way you can trust her. Her missile is gigantic